Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 1/13 blue lakes  (Read 966 times)

H2Ospider

It was my last adventure with my main fishing yak before it heads into the garage for upgrades and repairs and I was seriously considering Mendo but I stuck with my original plan to hit upper Blue lakes.  The lake was like a giant mirror and I was fortunate to witness a bald eagle snatch up its breakfast just as I was getting on the water.  Started out trolling the length of the lake with the red/gold Thomas Bouyant hoping to hook up with a holdover rainbow. Nothing.
Saw 2 other kayakers fishing around the narrows and dressed like tundra warriors, paddling pelican boats, they said that it was slow.
 When I got to the other end of the lake, my patience with the trout troll was done and it was time to hunt LMB. Went to work with big beaver jigs, senkos, rip baits, and a carolina rigged oxblood floating worm, all with that morbidly slow winter presentation, and nothing.
 Had 6 hours on the water and spent time working on my "vanity mount" that holds the camera on a adapted scotty mount fitted with a piece of pool noodle carved to hold the camera on a 10 second time delay. Ended up with some epic crotch shots but I decided to spare the NCKA. Will have to wait until the primary fishyak is finished before I can try it out again, with a fish.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006

When I got to the other end of the lake, my patience with the trout troll was done and it was time to hunt LMB. 

I know the feeling! I just got two small rapalas,that the shop-owner 'guaranteed" to get trout from a local spot(Chabot).I do plan on dedicating a 1/2 day to troll up one of those dam things this weekend!
Terry?  MFF?  I have never targeted Crappie before.I know that they get BIG up there at Clearlake(so say the reports) have you ever done this? They say you got to look for them deep,but once you find them,its ON!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

H2Ospider

Adam,
 Last year the crappie bite was unhinged and people were taking daily limits (25) all over the lake.
Word is that this year they never really showed up. There are multiple philosophies as to what happened.  Some are thinking that they were over fished and that DFG should lower the limit.  I also remember that last year alot of poachers were nabbed with some outrageous numbers of the pan fish.
If those who are taking limits (plus some) home for food ,you can trust that justice will be served via a damaged neurological system.
My personal opinion and hope is that it is more cyclic in nature. During last years stretch of scorching summer days I was finding big crappie dead and floating everywhere I fished. I hope this was the planets way of balancing itself and that the crappie will return after a few years.
 So, my point is that this is not the crappie fishery of legend ,right now, though some are still being caught around shag rock, so Ive heard.
This is still only my second year up here and I still have alot to learn. Someone else may know more?
As far as MFF goes, Im scheduled to work friday and sunday and I work 24 hour shifts.
So my fishing window is pretty small and ill have to fish locally and only on saturday.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
You just busted my "MFF" victory and "AOTY"(biggest panfish entry) Bubble! :smt013 That sucks! hope you're right with the Mother Nature Thoery  :smt012  I am still gonna hunt them LMB up there.( early-spring?)

H2Ospider

Sorry about the bubble busting, just reporting the word on the street. If it makes you feel better, the blue gill bite is supposed to be on.
 soon as the water warms some and it all really begins to turn on, ill let you know.
Ill keep you posted on night fishing adventures too.
 "She" is raider nation too so you are always welcome to come up.
 In may or june a crew from SoCal is gathering at my place for our 3rd annual  Lake county fishing tour.  They will be here for a week. ill keep you aware for that adventure too.

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
Right on for the details,invite and update!  bluegill?  :smt009  I need a SLABBIE! :smt010
Tell (her) "WE WILL RISE AGAIN"

anything