Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: BAM II Report  (Read 10379 times)

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Great report and pics, everyone.
Totally bummed I couldn't make this event.
Hopefully there is next year...

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
No striper love for me but that won't be what I remember about the event.  Once again the warmth and friendly support makes this group of people so special for Randy and me.  Special thanks to the Whites, including the great lizard hunter, for sharing your special home and for providing for another gathering of NCKA energy. 
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

scupperguy

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
First post for me -- although been following the great fishing reports for a few months. 

Wife and I had previously planned camping trip to  Mendocino 6 mos ago.  Then recently learned Bendo at Mendo was on for the weekend we were leaving.  Had rigged up the camper to carry two scupper pros on top for first time.  Played around lake for several days during the week.  Fished some, but not for stripers.  Figured we'd start seeing some REAL fishermen towards weekend.  Sure enough here comes Randy and his son Ty on Thursday afternoon at the Kyen campground (North end) next campsite over from us.  Great to meet someone else looking to give the fish a hard time(although I'm not much of a threat --yet!)

Friday morning I get up early and start stumbling down to the kayak with my fishing gear.  Here comes Randy with a big smile on his face and starts telling me this Big Fish Story -- and I look and see Ty coming from behind him holding up Mr Striper with a Big Smile on his face (Ty -- not the fish).  Wow! What a beaut! Way to go Ty!

Anyway, good to get my feet wet -- so to speak.  Look forward to doing more kayak fishing and seeing more of you guys 

Bungle

• Salmon
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Wow, I missed out :BangHead:.  Congrats  :hello2: :hello2: to Brian, Bill, and Ben!

That lake looks rad, I don't think I can't wait till the next BENDO to get up there.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Looks like I missed a good one! Congrats to the winners and everyone supporting Chef...
I did a family campout at Salt Point with another couple and kids. No yaks but shoredove for my first abs of the year. Big water but clear. Next time Mendo...
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I've been meaning to report, but I've been in Portland on work since Sunday. It's Monday night and I finally found some wireless access and can give me report on what it's like to be the luckiest kayak fisherman in the world.  Despite what I'd like to think, winning one of these tournaments has to be at least 90% luck where the winner just happens to be the person to drag his or her bait in front of the largest fish.  How I've managed to do that twice in four tournaments is anybody's guess.  Once again Sean and Bill managed to put on a great tournament.  Thanks again guys.

Anyway, like Bill, the secret to Lake Mendo stripers has eluded me on every one of my previous attempts (all six of them in my case).  I was lucky to have my wife Amy, son Owen, and dog Scooter with me at the tournament this year.  However, having them there meant I got a bit of a late start the morning of the tournament.  I finally got out on the water around 7:30 am and started dragging my minnow rig south along the west side of the lake.  For some reason I had in mind to try and follow the 30 ft depth contour around the lake where possible.  I wish I could say I had a valid reason for doing that, but I really didn't.   About an hour into my troll I stopped to check my bait and sent it back out with the reel disengaged as I paddled to let enough line out.  As soon as I engaged my reel I had a very small bite and thought it might be another small largemouth.  I engaged the reel, picked up a little bit of slack and my rod went "bendo" right in front of the old septic tank on the west shore north of the south ramp.  I later learned from Shawn that the local ol'timers call this the "sh*t box" and that it had produced for Sean recently as well.  After a decent 5 minute fight on 25 lb spectra with a 10 lb fluoro leader I manged to net my first Lake Mendo striper.  I wasn't sure of the size other than it was at least 9 lbs and was about 4 or so inches longer than the 28" max measure on my Cobra Navigator's built in fish ruler.   

I felt pretty good about my fish, but had no idea how well it would hold up for the next 6 1/2 hours of the tournament.  From the chatter on the VHF it sounded like there were two other fish boated that were running about 9 lbs.   Having already experienced catching a tournament winning fish early and trying to remain calm despite others constantly coming over to see my fish and tell me how that thought I might win, I thought I might try to keep kind of quiet about this for awhile.  My plans were foiled when I found out that Andy from Ukiah had seen me land my fish.  Shortly after that I ran into Naoaki and later Sean and Mark and couldn't help but report my decent fish when asked.

I would have stuck around the "sh*tbox" all day for my second fish, but I promised my wife I'd make it back to camp by 10 am to help her manage Owen and Scooter as well as say hello to my in-laws who were coming to visit from Clovis (Fresno) and had decided to drive the extra hour or so to "see Brian in action fishing a tournament".   After a quick diaper change, a trip out on the water with my dog Scooter, and an early lunch I went back out fishing and joined the pack of kayaks that hung out in front of the campground.  I'm still not sure why everyone was there, other than maybe they were too lazy to paddle to the south end to catch a fish.  I sat out there with everyone, too anxious to fish as I waited for the official weigh in to begin and then end.

At this point in my "career" I think I've almost broken even, with winnings just about making up for what I've spent on kayak fishing.  (At least that's what I'm telling my wife!)  My $500 should keep Owen day care another two weeks or so with some left over to buy myself a new leather belt to go with my sweet championship buckle.  Mark I didn't get a chance to thank you at the tournament, but that buckle is amazing!!   Chef, good luck on recovery, I hope the money we raised makes a decent dent in your medical expenses.

Oh, and as two time NCKA tournament champion I'd like to plug some of fine products I prefer to use (in case they're out there listening).   Cobra kayaks for keeping my butt so dry on the the Navigator XF and Surf to Summit seats for keeping it comfortable.  Shimano rods and reels for never failing my during a battle. Seaguar fluorocarbon leader material for making my line invisible, and Gamakatsu hooks for always true hook sets.  Okay, enough shameless plugs for sponsers I'll never get.   I would like however to plug Jim "InSeine" Hobbs for providing storage and transport of my kayaks including use of his Roll-Eaze carts.

I think I have some pictures back home and I'll post them as soon as I get back.

Brian

Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I hope someone has a picture of the buckle to post as Mark had polished it up to a precious shimmer.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Brian / bsteves ....being awarded for his First Place Finish  :groupwave

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
followed by 2nd placer = Papa Bill  :smt038

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Ben / guitarzan placing 3rd  :smt041

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Doug / marmite did pretty well with good stringers form a weekend of fishing......

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
....a few of our brothers did pretty good with the "kayak drop" method (invented by Papa Bill).....basically, you paddle out and use your FF to locate a drop-off / ledge. then drop your bait - leave your reel on free spool- and paddle back to shore and enjoy a cold one  :party

Chris / Jellyfish with a nice small mouth bass and Chris / molbasser (the self proclaimed champ :smt109) with a nice stripper   :smt023
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 03:59:52 PM by Mooch »

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
The Surfing Marmot family enjoying a beautiful day on the water......

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
......here's Craig / Kayakbuilder and Chris / molbasser preparing the pig  :smt007 Later on, after the pig was cooked, the "head" happened to find it's way inside my kayak's front hatch :smt118 I could only guess that it was the doing of the little rascals running all over the place ....headed of course by their fearless leader, The Jellyfish. The whole incident reminded me of the movie "The Lord of the Flies" - which I found VERY disturbing  :smt088

anyway, revenge will be mine at the end....to Jelly and his crew....sleep with one eye open  :smt077

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
LMAO at that pig smile!  WTG, Jelly and crew!   :smt003

What a great event.  Hopefully I'll make it to one of these before too long...

Excellent community, people.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

anything