Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Chillin' at New Melones Trout Derby - Dec 08  (Read 4706 times)

Big J

• Janice
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Another super NCKA event--thanks a bunch, Brian G, for organizing it for us diehard fisherpeople! It was brisk (to say the least!) at 6 AM so I opted for an 8 AM launch and stayed in my heated car till then. Some of us launched from Angels Creek while other stayed at Glory Hole. It seems like the bite was better at Angels Creek although I caught my usual ZERO (unless you count the Coke can). It was great to meet new NCKAers and to fish again with some of the familiar faces. Hope to see you all on the water again soon!

Janice aka "Big J"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 07:36:39 PM by Big J »
2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Freshwater Derby Champion, Women's Division

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great report and photos, Janice!   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great report Big-J! The lake looks awesome, especially when it was all glassed off.

campngolf

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Thanks for the pix and report Big J. I bet it was a little chilly up there, but at least it wasn't rainy.

I hope this tourney (or another flatwater one) happens again cause I told the boss I won't miss it next time.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Very Nice, WTG Everybody
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

yellowboat

• Sand Dab
  • fishing from a kayak is minimalist and fun!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Great report Big J, another beautiful place I have to check out!!---Doug

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Thanks Janice!  Great pictures.  I love the shots of the glass smooth water and the morning mist.   Say, could you do some of us newbies a favor and list the names in the group shot?   I've only met a couple of NKCA folks in person so far and it really helps to place the names with the faces.   Also, let us know if you're ever near Mendocino-Van Damme.   I have a regular boating partner here but it's always nice to meet NCKA folks.  sincerely, -Matt  :smt001

Big J

• Janice
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
The lake looks awesome, especially when it was all glassed off.

Yeah, New Melones is an incredibly beautiful and large lake that has loads of arms and coves where yakers can escape PBers (my pix are only of the Angels Creek area). I hope Brian makes this derby an annual event although I would go back anytime someone wants to hook up. Gotta love the foothills and Sierra!

Say, could you do some of us newbies a favor and list the names in the group shot?

You bet (left to right):

dilbeck (Michael), akagrumpy (Alan), Great Bass 2 (Scott), Grizz (Chuck), BrianG (Brian), Big J (Janice), and PatR (Pat)

BTW, I go to Mendocino several times a year with various kayak clubs and could have my arm twisted to visit more often if I knew I had fishing companions. I'm a whale festival volunteer at the lighthouse and like to camp at Russian Gulch SP and Van Damme SP.

Janice aka "Big J"
2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Freshwater Derby Champion, Women's Division

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.

HobieSport

• Salmon
  • Let us go fishing together
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Thanks for the names, Janice.

Let me know whenever you'd like to come over and fish Mendocino.   I'm a fishing newbie so kayaking with anyone more experienced is always welcome.  By buddy Herb is an experienced fisherperson and we go out a lot.   We both drive Hobies and Herb also has a Zodiac.

Van Damme and Russian Gulch are my two favorite local campgrounds here also.  In fact I'm applying for jobs there right now, in maintenance and as a park aid.   Our house is about two miles from both parks, just about 1/2 mile up Little Lake Road from town, so we just camp in our own yard.  :smt001  -Matt and Mariko

Here's a picture of Herb smiling and waving on the first day he tried my Hobie, (then went and got his own the next week) and of me standing with the Hobie and my Electric tandem Bobcat pirogue (fun little boat too!)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:31:18 AM by HobieSport »

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Would like to start with thanking Brian for putting together this Trout derby and Scott for the MAN DOGS and beer thanks again guys :smt006. It was a bit of a chilly tuff day of fishing, I think it was about 32 in the morning and it warmed up to a booming 46 in the afternoon. I did manage to troll up three trout, all mine where no deeper then 5 feet I did try trolling from the surfs to 30 feet but nothing came from the depths. I thought I had Scott beat until I saw him at the launch ramp with five nice trout :smt012. He said he found a honey hole and manage to boat about eleven trout, (well second place is good to :smt003). I had a great time thanks to all and Janice you may complain about your cameras speed put you do take some nice shots :smt007, ho buy the way the lime green prowler in one of the pics is Janice (big j) she peppered this section of the lake all day long, way to stick with it Janice don’t worry your day will come.

Pat R     

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Oops sorry for the double pic this is the one I was suppose to click on.

Pat R

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
First I would like to thank Brian G for hosting another great  NCKA event :smt001 and bringing the great tri-tip. I would also like to thank the folks at Glory Hole Sports for the awesome lures and fishing tips that really made a difference.  Although I have never pre-fished a derby before, I was working in Visalia on Friday morning and didn’t want drive home and then back to New Melones so I ended up fishing New Melones Friday afternoon from 1-4 PM. Launched from the Glory Hole and paddled over to the spillway area and trolled for nada. Marked some deep structure and fish at 100 FOW on the way back and spooned a 12 inch trout on a Hopkins which I released. Unfortunately lost the Hopkins on a bottom snag 10 minutes later and had to go back to Glory Hole Sports to replace it.  :smt013The weather was unsettled with wind gusts in the 10-15 knot range and I was hoping that the weather and fishing would be better on Saturday.

On Saturday I changed my strategy based on recommendations from the Glory Hole Sports people and intel from the Fishsniffer PB guys. I decided to launch out of Angels Creek and target the Angels Creek arm. I started out trolling a Rapala J7 firetiger and Rapala SR5 green shad. Launched for Angels Cove at 630 AM and hooked a 14 inch trout throwing a ¼ oz blue and silver Kastmaster pimped with a single hook and orange Powerbait worm tail at some submerged trees 25 yards from the launch while I was waiting for PatR to launch. After PatR launched, he hooked a trout trolling a Daiwa lure. Around 800 we reached the mouth of Angels Cove and since there was light on the water, and I hadn’t had any luck trolling, I switched to a Daiwa SC Shiner SP and Rapala JSR5 Shad Pattern. There was a lot of fog on the water and I lost PatR and headed up the Angels Creek arm to catch up. I was paddling fast crossing the Angels Cove opening in 150 FOW and had a monster hit on the SR5 but didn’t stick it, probably because I was trolling too fast.  :smt013 I trolled Angels Creek about 10-25 yards off the shore, staying in 40-60 FOW to avoid snags (lots of submerged trees). At the points and shoreline cover I stopped to throw spoons. Hooked a nice 17 inch trout :smt007 on the Daiwa when it was almost motionless. Being a very realistic suspending lure, I guess fish will hit it even if it is not moving, something I have not seen with other plugs. The bad news is that the Daiwa came with the cheapest hooks I have ever seen on a lure and after one fish they were destroyed and I had to replace them with hooks I canabalized from my other lures. Tried to go with slightly larger Gamakatsu trebles but the lure didn’t swim as well so I went with the same size hooks made by Owner. Picked up my 3rd trout on the JSR5 (15 incher) and 4th trout on the Kastmaster thrown at a submerged tree on the shoreline. Paddled past the island area until the water became shallower (20 FOW) and I was marking a lot of bait. Worked the transition area from 20-60 FOW both trolling and casting and it was pretty much wide open with 7 trout caught in 30 minutes, all released except for a fat 16 inch trout (1st place) caught on the JSR5.  :smt003 By this time it was 1130 and I decided to head back and hope that a 17 inch trout would be good enough. There was a nasty breeze and the paddle back became kind of a slog. Of course dragging the stringer of trout didn’t help. Got back to the weigh in site at 1 PM and cooked up the man dogs. Ended up with 1st and 3rd place with PatR taking second. A lot of what I have learned about trout trolling has been from PatR’s posts so it was good to fish with my trout mentor.  :smt006 Nice finish for my 2007 fishing season.   :smt003

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Grizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
This was my first NCKA event and quite an experience.  Thank you Brian G. for putting this together.  On the trip to New Melones, I stopped in at Micky D’s in Tracy at about 3:15 am and ordered a couple Egg McMuffins but they were “only serving off the lunch menu”.  I guess my clock must be off.  On Highway Four, from Telegraph City Road to Angels Camp, the fog really slowed things down.  I’ve driven that road probably 400-500 times or more and know it in my sleep, but I had to slow to 25 in some areas.  Got to the parking area somewhere near the Glory Hole launch ramp, and MAN was it dark.  I could find a block outhouse in the headlights of my truck but it was so dark inside that I decided to wait until daylight as I didn’t want to have to find the hole by brail.  In time, most of the other NCKAs showed up and made the introductions.  When Janice (Big J) pulled up and was making introductions, I slammed my finger in the door of the truck to had to apologize for shaking hands left handed, that my right hand was in great pain at the moment.  Most of us went to the Angels Cove launch ramp, two launched at Glory Hole and one went up to the Highway 49 bridge.  The outside temperature said 36 degrees, but there was ice on the kayaks.  The launch that we chose was the only arm of the lake that was socked in by fog, but it made for an eerie, intgeresting sight.  I launched and, trolling, followed a few other kayaks out of Angels Cove to the Angels Creek arm.  Up towards the end is where I caught my only trout, 15 ¼”, 1.2 lbs, on a Rapala J7 in firetiger with Gama EWG red hooks, my go to lure, trolled at 1.8 mph.  Shortly after I landed that fish, the rudder went out on my Hobie, so I had to use the paddle to steer with while peddling.  After a while, I decided I better head back towards the launch.  Well, naturally, when conditions aren’t ideal, the wind and waves come up, blowing against me so I was only making about .8 mph back to the launch.  When I got there, I beached the front of the kayak, and as I was climbing out, my foot slipped and I went down to my knees.  That’s OK, unless you in knee deep water.  I found that my Uniden Voyager VHS is waterproof, at least in a few feet of water, but my Pentax Optio camera and Sony recorder are not.  They are drying out now so later I’ll see if they work.  It was 12:30 and my legs are tired from peddling against the wind, my right side is soaked from my collar to my hips and now I’m getting cold, so it’s time to wrap it up.  Now the water level is down 100-120’ so that makes the ramp about 400 yards long.  I start climbing that sucker and every time I look up, it doesn’t seem like it is any shorter.  Finally, when I got to the top, I felt like Rocky at the top of the steps.  Man am I out of shape, I was sucking air and I thought I had strep throat it as so dry.  Loaded up and went back to the check in site, and eventually others started showing up.  When Janice showed up, she inquired about my finger, so, to show her the big black pulsating fingernail, I realized I was flipper her off, as it was my middle finger.  She replied that, since we had just met, she didn’t think it was appropriate to flip her off.  Sorry Janice!  We settled in for lunch and had bar-b-q’d tri-trip from Brian and man dawgs from Scott (Great Bass 2).  I don’t know why Alan is called Grumpy, because his wife makes the best peanut clusters I have ever had, and he should be real sweet living with her!.  My fish didn’t win, place or show.  Scott won 1st and 3rd, and Pat won Second.  All in all, I think fun was had by everyone.  It was great meeting other NCKAs, they are good folks and willing to share fishing and kayaking tips.  I encourage other NuB’s to the forum to attend one off their get togethers.           

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Chuck, sorry about the finger injury and it was nice meeting you. Let's hookup next year.

Michael and Allan, nice meeting you also and thanks for the peanut clusters. Muy bueno! :smt003 See you out there!! :smt006

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

anything