Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:24:02 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tips for first time fly fishing from a Kayak?  (Read 2392 times)

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Hey all.  In a couple weeks I am going to visit some family for a fishing trip.  My cousin has a couple Kayaks (hobie pa) and we are going to go chase some brown trout on the white river.

I have messed around with a fly rod on a kayak before, briefly, I mean less than an hour briefly.  and most of that time I was standing up.

This will be an interesting trip for me.  100% of my fly experience is dry, colorado and western rivers and streams.  I have never even been on a drift trip.

My understanding of the fishing on the White is that it is all streamers and wet flies/nymphing.  Except for at night when I can toss some mouse patterns.  I have been reading up a bit on the difference in technique there, and think I can muddle my way through.

I also have been reading through the threads here trying to get some tips on how best to fish from a kayak.  I picked up the tip about a towel in the lap for line management.

Any other tips you might have for me?  Thanks!

surf12foot

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
The biggest thing I can give for advice wise is just have fun and enjoy!
Scott

AJ5

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2019
The White is an awesome fishery, monster browns live there.  As far as safety goes, be very mindful of the flows.  The river can run between 800 - 14,000+cfs depending on the generation cycle.  Don’t get separated from your boat while wade fishing, when the water comes up it comes up fast.   I like Newlands for knowing what the water is doing, read the “spoons” http://www.newlands.com/web-cam/ there’s links there for the generation schedule (usually wrong) as well. 
For fishing you’ll spend most of your time fishing standard tail water fare, midges, scuds, sow bugs.  Fish em under an indicator about 4-5’ down depending on the flow.  They don’t need to be on the bottom necessarily... You’d be surprised, how often the fish are “up” in the water column.  Look for seams, foam is home.
I typically only fish big streamers during high water... yeah big bugs for big browns made fly fishing the white famous, but the Browns really don’t hunt until they feel confident during big flows.  Pitch your streamers under the trees or into peoples front lawns and hang on tight. 
The hobie guys took PAs to the white, check it out on YouTube.
You’re going to be highly mobile so definitely swing your boat out of the main current and hit a run more than once, just be mindful not to low-hole any locals. 
Have fun.

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
The white river is an awesome fishery! Its definitely a big fly place, though the biggest fish are almost all caught on corn...WTF...
I used to fish it when I was young. I always did real good on olive or black wooly buggers and size 12 scud/sowbug patterns. If you fish a sinking or sink tip line dont be affraid to pull that scud across the bottom like a bugger.
My father does say that it can be a mess with the diddymo but if you fins good clean sections of gravel youll be in the fish for sure.
Also dont neglect the norfork. Its less crowded and more rainbows but it will give you an arm workout all day. our experience was that we caught fish 3-1 in the norfork vs white and the extra size was rarely enough to get us off the norfork...  but if you are after a lifetime size brown, it is a White River game pulling a big white strip leech or shad pattern close to the dam. If you are brave enough to float it in the first hour of turning on the generators you will find hogs picking off dead shad. but watch out that water is no f'n joke when they get ripin'. folks die for fish every year, dont be one :)

2c
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the tips.  I am excited.  Hopefully I come back with a nice report!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

If it's going to compete with your last report, it'll need to include at least 2 marlins.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile

If it's going to compete with your last report, it'll need to include at least 2 marlins.

Ahh yes.  The ol freshwater marlin.  Or otherwise known as Istiophoridae freshius.  You better believe I will be targeting those bad boys.  A 5wt should be plenty strong enough to boat one of those sun uva guns.