Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Can I Start an Alligator Farm?  (Read 1231 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
October 25,  2018

Question: There was once an alligator farm in Los Angeles. It’s not there anymore but I am wondering what it would take to start an alligator farm in California. What kind of permits would I need to raise them for meat and their hides? Could I legally bring alligators into the state or import them from other states that allow them? (Kent, Florida)

Answer: Although it is long gone, yes, you are correct about the past existence of an alligator farm in California! Research indicates there was a place called Los Angeles Alligator Farm that opened near the turn of the last century in Southern California. It persisted in one form or another for several decades before closing due to a decline in visitors. It was more of a tourist attraction than a place where alligators were raised and sold for meat and leather, which is what most people think of when they hear the word “farm.”

Today, there are three primary laws that make your business idea non-viable. In 1991, the California Legislature enacted section 5062 of the Fish and Game Code (FGC), which states that no permit shall be issued for the operation of a farm for alligators or any species of the family crocodilidae if the animals are kept for the use and sale of the meat or hides. FGC, section 2118(f), states it is unlawful to prohibit import, transport, possess, or release alive into this state any wild animal of the family crocodilidae. California Penal Code, section 653o, states that commencing on Jan. 1, 2020, it shall be unlawful to import into this state for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of a crocodile or alligator.

There are plenty of permitted facilities in California that have alligators (including zoos, sanctuaries and other educational facilities), but the law prohibits any of these facilities from raising the animals to sell the meat or hides. Laws that prohibit possession of alligators and crocodiles unfortunately don’t stop some people from acquiring these animals or bringing them into the state illegally. California’s wildlife officers have at least a few cases per year of illegal possession. Most people who acquire alligators and crocodiles illegally have no idea how to properly care for them, which creates an animal welfare issue. We also don’t want non-native animals – especially predatory ones – being accidentally or intentionally released into California’s wild.

In short, current law prohibits you from acquiring a permit to farm alligators, import them or even possess them in California, and by January 2020, you wouldn’t be able to sell any parts thereof, regardless of where they came from.

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
So much for that idea.  :smt012
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
So no alligator meat in CA after 2020? I wonder what is the rationale for that.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So no alligator meat in CA after 2020? I wonder what is the rationale for that.

Just the typical California governmental response on a resource thy have no clue about. Dang Sierra Club!

I was on an Alaskan Fishing Trip and one of our guys is a card carrying Sierra Club member and he has gotten in the business of pestering guides and why they hunt and also got into my two buddies, who were at the time the captain and deckhand of the boat, about their going to South Carolina to go alligator hunting after fishing season closed. He stated he was help introducing South Carolina legislation to stop them from hunting. Their response to him was so precious. They stated the only reason why they are going to hunt them there was they aren't supposed to be that far north and South Carolina doesn't want them in their waterways.

We have them here in Texas, even up north where I live and they like to follow kayaks around. This year my buddy has seen four of them on some of our big lakes east of where I live.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Alligator hunting is on my bucket list!!!! :smt007
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
If it was allowed Clear Lake would end up like Lake Placid! :smt044

I'll bet Andy could cook up some fantastic deep fried alligator!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Brings back memories of Captain Jack  :smt003
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
In the early 80's, I tasted alligator meat at a restaurant in Sunnyvale. It was illegal to serve at that time. The meat was tough probably because the chef overcooked it. I understand wanting to keep the reptiles out of the state's waters. However, there are people keeping them as pets in their homes illegally.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
i 8 gator @ La Fondue in Saratoga.  Their "wild things" platter.  wasn't terribly delicious.

https://www.lafondue.com/menu/

would probably make a shitty pet, couldn't walk it or naything

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I’ve had gator bites before. Don’t remember exactly where, somewhere on the gulf coast near Pensacola. I wasn’t terribly impressed.

That said making it illegal to serve or sell gator parts is silly. California is dumb.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
i 8 gator @ La Fondue in Saratoga.  Their "wild things" platter.  wasn't terribly delicious.

https://www.lafondue.com/menu/

would probably make a shitty pet, couldn't walk it or naything

I had it there years ago as well.  I recall it being unremarkable. 

My wife bought me some gator jerky a while back.  I almost threw up.  Nasty stuff.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Might be showing my age but I remember when you could buy Caimans in pet stores. Mom always said no, especially after my iguana got loose in her beauty shop.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Might be showing my age but I remember when you could buy Caimans in pet stores. Mom always said no, especially after my iguana got loose in her beauty shop.

I had one as a pet  :smt003
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter