Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Article - Halibut for the kayak  (Read 1475 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
From the grand master Allen Bushnell himself! Thanks again Allen!

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/content/view/32/42/

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Nicely written, Allen.  I look forward to giving them another shot next year.  Though, knowing me, given the right day and nothing else to target, I may just go looking for a lost one this winter........ :smt004
Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
those articles are good. Brendan Crahan told me he caught 17 halibut over the summer of 2004. Not sure if all were from a kayak. Has anybody caught more in a season?
john m. airey

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Summer of 2003 was the year of the flatties. I managed to get in to the double digits. A fish or two every trip. There was squid spawn in 70ft out of capitola that had a wild bite.

-Brian

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Thanks Allen.  Never managed to catch a hali all season, maybe next year.

Kokayak

• Salmon
  • View Profile http://kratvillephoto.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
Nice article. What I am looking forward to is a plastic pouring article from Bill. I've only dabbled a little bit recently but am very interested in knowing more. Bring on the articles!! I've learned something in every one.
And you could hear me screaming a mile away as I was headed out for the door....

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Great article Allen, wish I new some of that before I went 0 for 7 out of Bodega and Tomales this summer.

Yeah Bill, bring on the plastic pouring article.  I've gone so far as to even buy a gallon plastisol and colorants.   I'm sure some sage advice and a few tips would help me with my current fear of diving right in.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
bsteves and scwafish and all---

Yeah, I feeel almost hypocritical submitting this article.  Originally written for that guy Zen and his Rabid Angler, back when I used to actually CATCH halibut.  It's still my favorite target.  Maybe next year.  

I'm taking a pervers pleasure in my own flattie score this season....exactly 0 from the yak.

(I did catch one from the beach at Angel Island this June....the wind and current were so tough that I beached the boat and surfcast....nice Hali on a rattletrap.  I watched this particular fish chase the lure almost to dry sand.  It was pretty incredible watching that fish swim, sailing through the water.  Pretty damn fast, too.  I made an identical cast and ....fish on!   Released  successfully.  Doesn't count cause it wasn't from the yak)

It is just a wierd year for halibut.  They showed up late in way smaller numbers than usual.  I gave 6 or 7 good, specific flattie tries for nada in May and June.  After that, most of my trips thhis summer were with clients.  Two of them insisted on going for flatties despite my advice it was a real long-shot this year...results- no flatties, but great trys and plenty of rockfish and lings while trying.

It is probably just the regular variance of nature from year to year, but I think in Santa Cruz, the numbers were also negatively infueced by a gaggle of commercial guys that were catching halibut right on the edges of the canyons, as they migrated towards shallow water.  You'd think more would get through, though, and that's why I'm chalking it up to vagaries of nature.

Thaks for your kind reviews, guys.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Hey BSteve I am working on it man but it is like #4 on my list. Do you have any particular questions?

• View Profile
nice article Allen,I would have to agree about this year a little slow. although i can not complain with my two the current leader 24.9 and the 16lber. both came Earlie in the season and within two weeks of each other. I agree with ever thing you said there. anther good tecnice that I like to use fish traps out and around your live bait while drifting for that intense action. Steve
live life to the fullest!!!!