Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: basic reel design  (Read 1799 times)

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
there are four different designs for conventional reels.

the first is the penn 4/0 senator style. learn this one first. it's the hardest, but the only thing hard about it is the dog spring. master this and everything else is cake. there's a post somewhere way back about "the secret to fixing a penn 113h." most all of the penns, all of the first generation progear reels, and the first generation daiwa sealines use this design. the dog spring and jack assembly are separate from the bridge. unless you know the trick, they're a real pain to get back together. and although the look is radically different, the el cheapo shakespere and okuma reels have a first generation design and first generation problems. once you remove the bridge, everything goes "boing." real pain. so what defines this first generation design? you separate the bridge from the side plate and everything goes "boing."

the second is the jigmaster. it is an improvement on the basic penn design where the dog assembly stays with the bridge. what makes a secong generation design? you separate the bridge from the side plate, and only the jack assembly falls apart. the dog stays with the bridge.

the third is the newell design where the dog spring and jack assembly stay with the bridge. the progear albacore special, progear classic series and ambassaduers are included here. when the newell was first introduced, it was years ahead of it's time. excellent design. very simple to work on. you back out the four center bridge screws, the bridge falls out as one piece that stays together, you replace the drag washers and you're done!!!!!!!!! with this third generation design, the anti-reverse dog assembly and the pinion gear/eccentric jack assembly stay with the the bridge as one unit. very nice.

although the look and feel are different, the other japanese reels are simply half a step back from the newell design. maybe we should call these "two and a half generation" reels. sometimes you can totally remove the right side plate, sometimes can remove only the cover. with the calcutta styles, the entire right side plate comes off to remove the spool. you set the side plate on you working surface "face up." you remove 2 to 8 screws, lift off the side plate cover and you gain access to the guts of the reel. the newer daiwa sealines and the shimano speedmaster/trinidad/torium line have a "bridge" that is an integral part of the frame. you have to remove the right side plate "cover" to gain access to the guts of the reel. in either case, if you tip it over, stuff falls out. i've gotten used to it, but it's still a pain when you have to chase springs that really should be clipped down. so in these "second-and-a-half" generation reels, the eccentric jack springs will sit obediently in place as long as you don't tip things over. and your anti-reverse mechanism consists of either a dog, or an anti-reverse roller bearing, or both.

the last is the lever drag. you have single speed and two speed, single drag and dual drag. with the intenationals, you push the lever forward and you push the spool towards a fixed position drag washer. with the shimanos, you push the lever and you pull the drag washer towards a fixed position spool. the steeper the ramp of the cam, the more drag you get as you push the lever forward. and for all their other problems, okuma lever drag reels have a very steep ramp. now, there are always belleville spring washers somewhere in line. with light springs, you can throw the drag lever forward and decrease the drag range. with heavier bellevilles, you get more drag. changing the configuration of the stack of bellevilles, say from "()()" to "(())" also increases your drag range.

so to hotrod a lever drag reel, you clean out the bearings to make it spin better, you changed the bellville thickness, configuration and or number to increase the drag range, and you add a grease carbon fiber drag to give you a sooth drag for the lifetime of the reel.

everyone followed this, right?

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: alantani
everyone followed this, right?

Absolutely!  If you have a problem with a reel, bring it to Alan vs. messing with it yourself.  That's my personal take.

Kevin

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Alan, you know your reels.  When are you going to have a class so we can learn from the master?
--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
the next seminar is this coming thursday at the fisherman's warehouse in san jose, 10am to 7pm.  can you guys make it?

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Cool... I'll be there!
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I would love to be there, but I live in the Malibu area.  If it was a Friday, I might call in sick, but a Thursday would be pushing it.  Next time.
--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Any North Bay Seminar's planned?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Might you have the stand screws for the penn #9 levelwind I brought in last year?
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
i need to do three more seminars, i just don't know when.  one is at coastside #2 in pacifica, one at western sports in san rafael, and one at the fisherman's warehouse in manteca. but things are busy now and they're only going to get worse!

as for the penn #9 screw, i have long ones that can be cut.  i'd say call fisherman's warehouse in sacramento and have them ship you one.  otherwise, we can take the one that i have and grind it down.  alan

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Please let me know when you are going to be in manteca!

-Brian G

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Alan
Let us know about the one at Western sports In San Rafael I'll be there.
                                                                                            Mike
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'll be there.  Probably don't need to cut down the screw since it's got unlimited clearance in the stand.  In fact, longer screws would probably be less likely to liberate themselves on me.   :smt003  In the offchance they'd tend to catch on the line or something, mr dremel will have news for them.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

anything