Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:25:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Angler of the Year  (Read 5953 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote:
He's a great kid and very lucky to have cool parents  

Sean... wanna adopt a Filipino fry cook?

get in line Chuck  :smt018

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
D'oh!  There goes Sean and Jelly mixing up their logins again.  I think that was Jelly campaigning for himeself.  No matter ... the words ring true.  Well done Jelly!!!

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Chuck and Mooch-While we were just talking about adopting another kid I think we were looking for something a little younger, but I hadn't thought about the "will cook for yaks" opportunities.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Can we give Jelly the Young angler of the year award? That way us old guys can save a little face  :smt003

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I didn't now stripers got that small mooch

Not only can he fish, :fishing2 paddle :yak  and dive :nemo:  he can also trash Talk. :smt014
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Jellyfish is definitely the Jr angler of the year and pushing hard on angler of the year.

Its a tough call, but I guess, angler of the year is the guy catching the most fish, greatest variety, and not to mention, some big fish.

I HATE to type this, but IMO, it would be Joel.  (DAMN, I HATE TO TYPE THAT).  But since he almost lives on the water, as well as eats and breathes kayakfishing.  I don't think anyone on this board has logged nearly as many hrs.  Consequently, he's landed quite a few fish.

IMO, anyone can "get lucky" and catch a big fish (look at all the newbies for example  :smt001 .  However, CONSISTENTLY catching fish and out fishing the pack takes knowledge, skill as well as a little luck.  As I type this, I hate to type this too, but a "Bodega Clan" member comes to mind.

I know he doesn't get out much, but Erik has been pretty consistent given the times he's gotten out.

Speaking of the "Bodega Clan", us "Central Cal" guy's definitely got a score to settle!!!!  We'll even come up to your neck of the woods to straighten things out!!!!!!  I'll save the trash talkin till then.

Till then, I'll be doing some chores, earning some WAF :smt010

Stuart

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
While I join the rest of the board in admiring and thanking Bill for his excellent work and friendliness, my vote goes to what I hope will (and appears to) be the true heart of kayak-fishing.  This touches on a message I posted a few months back after I had the pleasure of fishing with Sean and Chris.  Seeing the pictorial of Jelly's highlights for the YEAR(!), I was blown away by the awesome stuff that father, son, and family have enjoyed together.  I admit, my first reaction was jealousy!  I thought, "look at the variety of species, the locales, the smiles!..."  It quickly turned to a warm sense of pride and happiness.  

It's been witnessed in his own writings several times ("best friend" "fishing buddy")  This guy has done with his son what we all should hope to do with our own, and each other!  

I see that Sean has done so much to move beyond any consideration by myself at least of being just a kayak salesperson!  He is a great sportsman, an awesome dad/friend, and through his direct warmth and kindness is far beyond "excellent ambassador" for the sport.  I vote for Scwafish.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Travis

I see that Sean has done so much to move beyond any consideration by myself at least of being just a kayak salesperson! He is a great sportsman, an awesome dad/friend, and through his direct warmth and kindness is far beyond "excellent ambassador" for the sport. I vote for Scwafish.
Very well said!   I think kayak angler of the year is not about catching the biggest or most fish.   Sean and family have been very friendly and helpfull to me.  I admire Sean for all that he has accomplished and all that he does for others.    Sean is what it is all about!  One more vote for Scwafish.:smt041   I only wish I was close enough to fish with him more.  :smt012

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I like the spirit of the “Angler of the Year” topic.  I guess, in order to come up with a list of folks, the requirements/attributes should be defined first.

If its about promoting the sport, good will, helping other’s and DOING, then guys like Sean, Bill and SCAllen come to my mind (And Joel too).
Sean and Allen have directly touched, helped and influenced many, many people.  Bill, on the other hand, has reached probably even more via the web.

Given this type of qualitative “contests”, there is no right answer or clear winner.  Heck, they are all WINNERS in my book.

Here’s an idea.  Maybe next year, in addition to the big fish pool, our moderators could put together an Overall Angler of the Year Category.  I’d envision that this would be based on a point system (Salmon, Stripers, Ling, Rockcod, Halibut, Sturgeon).  Get points for landing a legal keeper in each category.  Also get additional points based on size (length?)?  Coming up with a reasonable formula would be the hard part.

This way, there is no dispute!!  What do you guy’s think?

Stuart

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Heh Stuart,
And biggest Sand Dab.
Pat.....protecting her specialty! :smt003
Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

polepole

• Administrator
Guys, I smell a FISHOFF coming on.  SCAllen vs. Bill vs. Mooch vs. scwafish (and Jelly!).  Let's get it on!!!!!

The rest of us will just watch and learn.

-Allen

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Although I am still a newbie to this sport, and have only been involved with the this site and the people in it for half the year, I personally find it difficult to come up with one person. I have enjoyed the new friendships with many. Thank you Erik (kzreelrods) for taking me out at elk and Ft. Ross, I hope to be able to do that again soon. Thank you Lonny (Lingconlonny) for your kind heart and friendship that I see just getting better with time. There are not many people you can spend 9 days away from home with and still like when you return. Lonny gets the biggest heart award. Mooch, what can I say, I have mooched more from you than you from me, I nominate myself for the mooch jr. award. Than you for your company, laughs, and great times spent on the water so far. Chuck, I learn something from this guy every time I talk and fish with him. Stuart and Fred, you won't meet nicer guys if you set out to do just that for the rest of your life. Stuart, you encourage me in many more things than getting a Hali. Your dedication to your family is something we could all learn from. Sean, although I have not got to fish much with you, you are an example of the kind of dad I want to be to my little guy. Fishing aside you give an example to many of us that just wished for a relationship with our dads like you two have. Jellyfish, you are a very fortunate young man, you remember the love your parents give so freely when you are faced with the difficult decision you as many other teens will face in the years to come. That will help you quickly decide between right and wrong. I have been fortunate to meet so many quality people here, I could go on forever. I look forward to tight lines with all of you here some day.Bill, without you many of us would not have met. I nominate NCKA as kayak fishing site of the year.

Joe
Joe

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
heeheeeheee-I like the fishoff idea!!  When and where, bring your prowlers, boys!

surf perch at manresa?  stripers at the forebay or San Quentin?  late season rockfish off the North Coast?  Trout at mooch's secret spot?

Could be a gas!

Allen

PS-  Seriously, I'd have to go with Bill or Mooch for the honor within this community.  Others have already said it better than I ever could.  Both these guys are true leaders and it's my personal honor to count them as my friends.

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

polepole

• Administrator
Quote from: scallen
surf perch at manresa?

... from a  kayak!!!  :surf

-Allen

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well, Bill turned me on to the salmon bite off moss and got me my first king in 2 years, so he gets my vote.

Perhaps Joel can get a spirit award and Sean a technical award for his ride-pimping expertise.   :smt004
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.