Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[Today at 04:04:00 AM]

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Angler of the Year  (Read 5955 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I was inspired by Joel's list of big fish and an angler of the year thread on another board to start this thread.

Who amongst us do you think would be our angler of the year? Also, don't be shy, campaign for yourself by checking in here with your big fish.

I would say Bill is my angler of the year because he "caught" us all.  This board is awesome.  In addition he managed to catch more salmon off my kayak that I did this year.  Actually, I didn't get any salmon this year.   :smt009

I can't say I have any big fish this year that I would brag about.  But this year I feel I've been much more consistent catching fish.  In fact, I kind of feel like I've taken my game up a notch.  Now if I can just get it up one more notch and consistently catch big fish.

-Allen

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I will have to agree Bill did catch me as did you all. Incredible Web site Thank you Bill. Not to mention all the prizes he donates to the raffles.
My second place vote would be a 3 way tie between Sean, Mooch and Levi.  Sean for his knowledge, tourneys and willingness to help everyone. Mooch for his photo's,enthusiasm, generosity and diligence. Levi for the variety, size and beauty of the fish he's caught.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I found out about this web site by a chance meeting with a boater while I was kayak fishing at Sly Park. He pulled up along side of me and asked me how I liked my Prowler 15. Turned out he was a Ocean Kayak rep. He told me about the tourney at Santa Cruz. After meeting some of the guys and finding out about this site I was hooked.
A wealth of information is provided. I have met people with the same interest who are great individuals.
I always laugh reading the board and love the camaraderie among the members.
Can't thank you enough Bill.
<=>

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Mickfish, Tote.... I totally agree with you both!
It seems like we meet nothing, but good people through this site.  Today, we met a new kayak fisherman at Larkspur.  His name is Gary and it was his first time out on his sweet new Tarpon 160i.  He said this site really got him interested in kayak fishing.  Kudos to Bill and everyone here who participate in the forum.

Gary... if you're out there, it was good to meet you.  Please stay in touch.  You'll soon be hooked and addicted like the rest of us!
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Bill is the man!! :groupwave  :fishing1
live life to the fullest!!!!

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Thanks guys, I could not have gone it with out everyone here. This site is about community and sharing, without people that share info it would be pretty lame. Look for even cooler things in 2006!!

While I have caught one of every species in the pool I think I would have to vote for Mooch as angler of the year. He has had a pretty amazing season at least for volume of fish and his salmon run at Moss is impressive.

A lifetime achievement award would have to go to Allen Bushnell because without him I would never have jumped into a kayak to fish. I bet many of us could say the same...

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Mooch - slayed the salmon this year plus landing the halibut in front of a bunch of newbies.  Overall great ambassador for kayak fishing.

I agree that Bill has done an excellent job with the site.  The number of new features he adds, not to mention the "uptime" of this site is unmatched.  Great job.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
thanks for the kind words fellas! This would be a tough call since many lunkers have been caught this year - let's not forget last year  - I believe Chuck caught the most variety of fish - and lunkers as well.

The newbies this year have done really good! (you know who you are)

I've been fortunate enough catch a variety of fish this year but only because I fished with the best of the best (Top Gun)....I caught my 2 big salmon this year fishing with veterans like Stuart and Fred. Caught my halibut with Kayak Fishing guru Allen Bushnell. Caught my limit of big stripers at mendo with the Mayor of Mendo = Sean/Scwafish....But my vote would go to Paul/Blue Kayak for putting his time and effort on that 37 pound salmon. He's paddled where many of us would never even think of venturing out - and he's done this SOLO. He is definitely an "AquaMan" super hero. I look forward to his next fishing report  "....so I hooked on to this great white and I........"  :smt002

Bill what can I say = you've created the most advanced Kayak Fishing site and though we may not have the numbers that so cal has - we have the friendliest group of kayak fishermen  :smt023 IMO: The number of "hits" will never beat the great personalities of the site itself  :smt002

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
well most of us caught alot of fish this year, and mooch is clearly our ambassador, but bill provided the framework for our new community, and for that reason i vote for bill.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Hahahaha!  I don't think anyone has done more for the NorCal scene this year than Bill.  Mooch has had a SOLID year.  I however, am biased, and will nominate Jelly.  

Jelly made huge progress this year. He got trout. He got stripers.  He got rockfish and lings. He got limits of Abs.  He paddled over a hundred miles for his Dorado.  He caught skipjack.  He speared his dinner in baja. He caught a 7.5 pound LMB.  He made the cover of WON. He introduced the super soaker to kayak fishing. :smt067  He took a bunch of great pics of his grumpy old dad between all of those fish.  And he did it all solo as an 11 year old kid.  Jelly rules! :smt007

Jelly's highlights for 05...

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Yup, Jelly is a stud. But you deserve a lot of credit too, Sean, for including him in your passions.

I will never forget the cold, almost miserable times I spent with my pop hunting and fishing in Maryland. When looked back upon, those were some of the best times of my life. I know Jelly will look back the same way when he's teaching his kids "Extreme Fishing" techniques.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I look at my friends with kids who are glued to the PS2 and can only think that the pleasure is all mine.  Having a live-in best friend and fishing buddy is a dream come true.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
He introduced the super soaker to kayak fishing.

yes he did....and I was his first victim  :smt072

But I do agree with Dustin, Jelly is enjoying his childhood because his dad cracks the whip on him  :smt079 He's a great kid and very lucky to have cool parents  :smt058  :moon

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
and I was his first victim

Sorry brother!

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
He's a great kid and very lucky to have cool parents
Sean... wanna adopt a Filipino fry cook?
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

anything