Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:53:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sonoma County Shark Attack 10/19/2005  (Read 3567 times)

surfingmarmot

No mention of losing the limb so a I doubt it. Saw a picture of the board, big semi-circle of teeth marks diagonally across the stern. It looks like one of the skegs and the board protected her leg somewhat for a bite that came quartering from from the rear.

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I was surprised there hadn't been an attack sooner on our coast. I recently read a book that stated that Salmon Creek and the Greater bodega area are one of the areas most Frequented by GW's.  It has also been stated that Sharks come in Seasons and are most previlent in our area from September through November. This information was from a study at the Farrallones and the People at the Point Reyes Bird Observatory.  They said that often they won't see a singe shark at the Farrallons until september and few after November.  This information can be helpful when deciding to fish or dive in certain areas.  

jason
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
This was actually the third attack in about the time that I've been working at the Bodega Marine Lab.   Not to mention all of the sitings I here about from local surfers.

28 Nov 2002
28 May 2004
18 Oct 2005

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Brian - do you ever do any GW tagging? If so, PLEASE take me with you - would love the opportunity to see the Land Lord up close.....just don't think of towing me behind the boat wearing a seal outfit cause homey don't play that  :smt018

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
The surfers out there see 'em all year long. My buddy surfs out there. A lot of the cats out there won't even leave the water when they see a shark. I guess the train of thought is that if you see it, it's more than likely not going to attack you.

If it wanted to attack you, you'd never see it coming.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

surfingmarmot

From what I have gathered, GWS migrate as well as hold sway over territories. I believe a radio-tagged GWS was once tracked from South Africa around Patagonia to Australia or something along that distance-incredible. I thought only whales and sea birds migrated that far. It shows just how little we know about the sea and its wildlife.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
If you have read the book “The Devil’s Teeth” by Susan Casey, about Great White Sharks at the Farallon Islands – you will more appreciate this story. While we were fishing for salmon with the fleet, in a ˝ mile visibility in the fog, we see a huge red area of blood on the surface of the water…. I said to Jon Dunn (Capt of the DunnDeal), that looks like a great white shark attack on a sea lion (just like the pictures in the book) – as we stare at this huge patch of dark red blood, we see a great white breach for another bite, and then disappear below the surface. We trolled over to the blood and saw a piece of meat (look like a piece of lung) floating on the surface. It was a kill at Duxbury Buoy. I was concerned because the great whites can surface and take you off the boat. Pretty scary. I stayed away from the rail. This is the height of the season for Great Whites in the Gulf of the Farallons. Don’t go in the water.

Another report of a GWS I think this was the shark Bluekayak was talking about in his fish report. I found it on Coastside.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

pescadore

When that guy got killed up near westport last year, his body drifted around till the next day when the Coast Guard came out and got it.  It wasn't eaten at all.  I don't think they like eating humans....maybe all the crunchy plastic and rubber doesn't appeal to them.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I stay out of the 'triangle' when it comes to diving. A friend fo mine I dove with in college was attacked at the mouth of Tomales.
http://ptreyeslight.com/stories/aug15/shark.html
I keep my diving north of Fort Ross. It seems to me the majority, not all, attacks are south of here.
<=>

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Hats off to the surfers at Bolinas they must be some serious zen masters or something

forget about the surfers......Hat's off to you for paddling in sharky waters.....and landing a bloody 37# salmon on your deck  :smt002

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
In the book the Devil's teeth it noted that a 20 ft GW would 8ft wide and 6ft deep.   :jawdrop
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Strayed from group
"He was taking it pretty well," said Logan. "After he was bitten, he swam very quickly back to the boat. What did him in was separating himself from the group. He went off by himself and that's when he was singled out."
From Mike / Tote

I guess it's safe to assume that if and when a shark is sighted, we kayakers should radio in with the rest of the fleet and paddle tight in a group so we don't get "disturbed" by the land lord  :smt002

anything