Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:42:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:32:12 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Malibu Kayaks new X13  (Read 19049 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
NO hatch cut outs...but a leaky scupper would still sink it!

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
How in the heck do they expect you to get to those front rod holders? They're in front of your feet. Strike one!

CHEERS!

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Mahi-one man's strike is another man's bonus. I stick my 5 year old daughter in the gator hatch seat and she uses the rod holders. Gotta have kids to think of that one but I'm sure you've also sat side saddle with legs in the aqua and used all the holders on your burly X-factor the same way.
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
How in the heck do they expect you to get to those front rod holders? They're in front of your feet. Strike one!

CHEERS!

No doubt, you'd have to do a serious shimmy to the front of the yak. Then balance your rods, reel out, over the water while securing them. That is, if you're not using the hatch for fish... The hatch behind the seat like the X is still a better option IMO.

Z

*edit

Oops! I thought Mahi was talking about the rod storage in the front hatch. But still those rod holders are pretty far up there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:17:21 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you put a leg over each side and rock forward it is actually very ez to reach a rod holder way up front, and they are nowhere near your paddle stroke or interfering with you cockpit.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I don't have problems with my LONG arms.   :smt004

-Allen

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
NO hatch cut outs...but a leaky scupper would still sink it!
Does that mean it won't pass the mussel inspection since they can't look inside?
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I would think the opposite...no inside to inspect.

swellrider

• Salmon
  • View Profile Humboats.com
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Who would buy a kayak without hatches and isn't that the first thing you'd install if you did?
HUMBOATS KAYAK ADVENTURES
www.humboats.com

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
In the other thread I poked fun at the xwing thingy, and now, after seeing more pics of this kayak, I'm convinced that these guys have gone out and slam dunked a sick ass fishing kayak.  If you can't reach the front rod holders, so what, and the x wing thing, still not cool, but it can come off easily.  I'm sure that some people will really appreciate the x wing thingy and thats all fine and dandy, but the real winner here is the top deck design.  I tried the prototype of the new extreme that chucke had and really liked the convenience of it.  I was able to store rods easily and it paddled well.  The bottom was noisy but this new hull design looks sweet.  I will most likely buy one of these kayaks.  It is definately an improvement of that prototype Chuck got from the fishing show last year.  Not saying their the same, but they do have similarities. 
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Who would buy a kayak without hatches and isn't that the first thing you'd install if you did?

Agreed.

JTF-I hear you...MK has always had good layouts, this is the first time they put it on what looks like a relatively narrow and efficient yak

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
this is the first time they put it on what looks like a relatively narrow and efficient yak

I truly hope that all the manufacturers start going on this direction....AND THEN SOME :smt002 Hoping to see more reduction on the weight as well.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Keep in mind I said relatively narrow...most OK or Wilderness boats are still narrower than the X-13.

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I just found the X13 report on Big Waters Edge. Thought some of you might be interested in reading.

Let me start by saying the fishing is great in newport right now. 3 hrs of fishing for 11 spotties and sandbass, 8 yfc,and a 2.5-3lb spotfin.
Fished this morning in newport. Took the new x-13 out and was really excited to see what the outcome would be. There were rumors coming in that anyone over 200 lbs that paddles the x13 would sit in 2 inches of water. Not true. Im a hefty 210 and it was cool. The only bad thing I can say about the yak is that at a fast paddle water shoots upwards through the scupper holes located at the foot well area. Not too bad though. The water drains out fairly fast and only about 1/2 to 1 inch of water collects but doesnt effect your tracking or anything like that.It is completely dry and empty when you are just drifting or at a stand still. The water sits inside the footwell and doesnt get your butt all wet because there is a 2-3 inch drop from your butt the the footwell. Almost like a small step so it doesnt creep up your shorts. haha.The other thing I noticed was when I opened up the front hatch to toss my catch inside I noticed that it also collect water inside. Not too much. I would say maybe 1/6 of it had water inside. At first I was like wtf. Is there something I did wrong. I was a bit nervous at first and decided to check the inside hull to see if it had water inside. It was dry as a whistle so I went and dumped the fish inside. 1/2 an hour later I went to drop my other catch inside and to my surprise the first little bastard was swimming around inside. hmmm. I was thinking to myself how cool, Its kind of like a livewell without the whole thing being submerged in water. I caught a 3lb spotfin that was a bit too big to swim around, but he stayed alive for a while. If you dont want the water inside the hatch area its an easy fix with a simple plug in the scupper hole. I tried to see how fast I can get it going and see how the tracking was on the x13, but it was a bit difficult to judge with a slight wind in my face. I was overall impressed by it. Very stable and fast. For the 200+ pounders I would say its a bit of a wet ride with your seat absorbing most of the water, but Its not bad at all. I dont mind a slightly wet ass cause at the end of the day its not about being wet, its what you caught right?
From 1-10 I rate this yak a solid 8. There is plenty of room to bump it though. Like I said I didnt get to do the distance paddling I usually would like to do. You guys will not be disappointed. Its diffrent then the extreme and xfactor for sure. At 29 inches wide it is still as stable as my extreme.
Oh yeah the fishing in newport is going off right now too. heres a few pictures.
This kayak rocks. Thanks Andy At OEX sunset beach for hooking me up.
Mad props the Malibu Kayak for coming out with this new beast.

CHEERS!