Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 10:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:24:28 PM]

[Today at 07:49:41 PM]

[Today at 06:24:32 PM]

[Today at 05:15:45 PM]

[Today at 01:44:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:37 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New guy, SF Peninsula  (Read 523 times)

LGF

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hi y'all.

I have never been a fisherman but a few years ago I bought an RTM Abaco for hunting ducks on SF Bay, and now I want to learn to fish from it.  Went to Dennis Spike’s kayakfishing tournament at Ocean Cove last October, survived, and even caught fish. I would love to try the San Mateo coast but am too new to do this stuff on my own, so I am looking for a kind soul to let me tag along and generally hold my hand.  I’m an old fart, so probly not up for anything too demanding. 

Also up for a duck hunting partner next season.

LGF

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Welcome! I'm new at this myself,  but I've been heading out of Half Moon Bay (HMB) when I have the opportunity.  I think it's a great spot since there are easy launch sites and you have the protection of the harbor to get adjusted before you head out into the deep blue.  Keep an eye out for Hook Ups.  It's a really helpful bunch here. See ya on the water!

BTW, where can ya duck hunt on the Bay?  Or do you mean up the Delta?
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
WTTM, a bunch of go out of SMC.  Check the boards , or feel to post when your thinking of going. People will chime in if they can make it or not.  We all believe in safety first, get a radio if you don't already have one.  Doesn't have to be the most expenisve, but the least expensive standard horizon will still get ahold of the harbor patrol or USCG if you need to.  There is a group that goes out of HMB most Sundays, check the board and weather conditions.  Leave bravado at home, if you feel uncomfortable out there no one is offended if you want to go back in.  Each person has their own tolerance, some of these guys could fish a tsunami and it would not bother them, not me.  Look forward to seeing you out there!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I’m an old fart, so probly not up for anything too demanding. 

Welcome to NCKA.

HMB's Pillar Point Harbor is hands down the easiest launch on the SMC coast. But you have to be mindful of the shallow reefs and wash rocks to the west of the harbor mouth. All the other launches require going through the surf.

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I’m an old fart, so probly not up for anything too demanding. 

Welcome to NCKA.

HMB's Pillar Point Harbor is hands down the easiest launch on the SMC coast. But you have to be mindful of the shallow reefs and wash rocks to the west of the harbor mouth. All the other launches require going through the surf.
The other will be Pigeon Point, this is however Swell direction factor. Watch out for some SMC Crazy Beaners hook up we can show you a rope or 2. Welcome to the madness!!
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

LGF

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Thank you gentlemen!  I really look forward to meeting some of you and getting into this.

Eelkram - duck hunting on the South Bay refuge, either from blinds on the salt ponds or puttering around the marshes.  Huge fun, but few ducks and most of them don't taste great.  Beats standing in line at 4 AM in the Valley refuges.