Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Weedless Jigs???  (Read 5812 times)

Randy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Like every other red-blooded list participant here, I've been thinking, a lot, about all the Lings and Cabs and Rockfish that are going to find their way into my game bag starting in approximately 8 days, 14 hours and 10 minutes. And this year, I'm resolved to spend more time fighting the monster Lings and less time fighting the bottom, Bull kelp, etc., etc..

So I've been researching weedless jigs and hooks.  A Google search turns up a host of vendors able and willing - eager, even - to take my money and send me stuff.  But before I send them my magic numbers, I thought I'd ask the folks on the list:

Have you tried these things?

Did they actually work to keep you from getting snarled?

Did you lose more fish than you would have with conventionally hooked jigs or are they similarly effective?

Do you recommend them?

Your comments/opinions are appreciated.

Randy

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Take a look at Trix Jetty Worms.  They are all hand made and very high quality.

here is a link to a photo gallery.

They were designed for fishing the rock jetties and kelp beds of SoCal, but they should just slay up north too.

Contact the maker (Scott "Fishtricks" Johnson) at Mackerel@cox.net and put TJW in the subject line of the mail.

I know this guy very well.  He is straight up and if you order, you will get a superior product.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Unless you're fishing a lake, the name of the game is to get your lure to the BOTTOM.

If you're using a weed guard that will stop BULL kelp from reaching the hook, it'll likely prevent a fish from getting hooked as well.

As for the Trix Jetty Worm, my google search didn't turn up much, but if you use a 2 to 4 oz sliding weight, i guess that will get the worm down and the only thing you have to worry about is the weight getting hung up.

What would concern me is the line getting abraision from the sliding weight banging it against the rocks.

With a lead head, i picture the head doing the banging w/ the line attached to the top, rather than in front. Of course, that's if the trix jetty worm is set up like your standard bass worm jig, w/ the line going through the wieght and attached to the worm which is embedded in the hook.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Hobi,

The TJW is a lure made by a friend, and is currently gaining a fast growing cult following in San Diego.

It is essentially a 3/4 oz (larger sizes in the works) football jig with weedguard, skirt, and a wide variety of plastic trailers and a kaliedescope of colors.  EDIT: just found out the 1 1/4 oz model is out.  I'm trying to get some.

It was originally designed to fish rock jettys and SoCal kelp beds.  It can easily be fished on the bottom to over 50 feet if the current isn't ripping.

There is life all throughout the kelp canopy and there are species of rockfish that bite quite shallow so I would not be obsessed with getting to the bottom every time.  It pays to experiment.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10: