Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wetsuits....safety vs comfort  (Read 4802 times)

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Annie, I'm in the Sacramento area so probably from one of the kayak shops in the area...apparently there's also a scuba shop here in town that sells wetsuits. But if you have any recommendations on a good shop, I'm all ears...

I grabbed my Stolquist Farmer John from Cal Kayak on Folsom Blvd. Good group of folks there.

I like it, but I got the Storm John variant and it's not as stretchy as I'd like. The slightly pricier Rapid John has more flex to it, and now I wish I had gone that route.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Tough decisions...found this and sprung...thanks ya'all for the debate...info...experiences... :smt006

//www.austinkayak.com/products/17439/Bomber-Gear-Oneida-Paddle-Suit-Discontinued.html
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Tough decisions...found this and sprung...thanks ya'all for the debate...info...experiences... :smt006

//www.austinkayak.com/products/17439/Bomber-Gear-Oneida-Paddle-Suit-Discontinued.html

No relief zipper, good luck.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

something in the description about a crotch zipper for entry that allows for relief, hope its true or it gets returned.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

something in the description about a crotch zipper for entry that allows for relief, hope its true or it gets returned.
supposedly gonna be an awkward experience so I hope I don't get a cramp and plan well before I'm desperate to take care of business.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

supposedly gonna be an awkward experience so I hope I don't get a cramp and plan well before I'm desperate to take care of business.

Sounds like a pain in the crotch...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011

Sounds like the zipper for your entry is located by the legs and that is also your relief zipper.  Seems like it would be odd to use the zipper on the side of the leg for that purpose but it looks like they didn't make a separate relief zipper. 
If you ain't first, you're last.

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Annie, I'm in the Sacramento area so probably from one of the kayak shops in the area...apparently there's also a scuba shop here in town that sells wetsuits. But if you have any recommendations on a good shop, I'm all ears...

I grabbed my Stolquist Farmer John from Cal Kayak on Folsom Blvd. Good group of folks there.

I like it, but I got the Storm John variant and it's not as stretchy as I'd like. The slightly pricier Rapid John has more flex to it, and now I wish I had gone that route.

I used to have the Rapid John.  Although it is softer and has more stretch to it, it tears easily.  Super comfy but it will only last you about a year before you start noticing tears in places that you tend to stretch often. 
If you ain't first, you're last.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Sounds like the zipper for your entry is located by the legs and that is also your relief zipper.  Seems like it would be odd to use the zipper on the side of the leg for that purpose but it looks like they didn't make a separate relief zipper.
They sold out that deal so I was spared the trouble, ended up with a tropos supernova from outdoor play for 403$,

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

I used to have the Rapid John.  Although it is softer and has more stretch to it, it tears easily.  Super comfy but it will only last you about a year before you start noticing tears in places that you tend to stretch often.

Thanks for the heads up.

What would you recommend that is more comfortable, but doesn't tear as easily?

Thanks,
Logan

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

They sold out that deal so I was spared the trouble, ended up with a tropos supernova from outdoor play for 403$,

You should have gone with the Hydrus 3L Angler Suit.  Its 3 layers and has cordura on the lower high wear areas.  The Supernova is only 2 layer and has less cordura, that means its less durable.  Just sayin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:06:06 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

You should have gone with the Hydrus 3L Angler Suit.  Its 3 layers and has cordura on the lower high wear areas.  The Supernova is only 2 layer and has less cordura, that means its less durable.  Just sayin.
budget stuff

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Tinker

budget stuff

Budget is always a consideration, and you did good with what you had to work with.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Dry suits definitely require more care. Even with rinsing and hang dry after every use, i had to send in my kokatat hydrus 3l supernova angler paddling suit for warranty replacement within 2 years. The hydrus layers delaminated, resulting in bubbles between the layers all over the suit. To their credit, kokatat replaced it with no question asked. I upgraded to the gore tex version of the same suit. Hopfully this one will last longer.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
budget stuff

Budget is always a consideration, and you did good with what you had to work with.
Sweet, I'm wearing it now in the house while the kids are serving up their breakfast, little tight on the neck which I read is a getting used to kind of feeling, along with wrist tightness.  I hope to take great care of it and live the dream!

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything