Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Heroes On the Water  (Read 7132 times)

brian1976

• When I have my mid life crisis I want to buy a really expensive kayak and the worlds best gear. (Its cheaper than sports car).
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009

This was written by someone on the KyaakbassFishing.com site. Thought everyone would appreciate it. Gives a little insight into the folks we help and have fun with –

No, this ISN'T addressed to the kayakfishermen who founded and participate in the
"Heroes On The Water" program. Those guys have set the bar incredibly high for all of
us, and have earned my utmost respect. But this isn't about them.

This letter is addressed to YOU---the fallen warrior who is out there somewhere,
in a bed or a wheelchair or a Stokes frame, or trembling with effort as you try to
pull yourself along those rails, or trapped inside the neverending nightmare of
Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm going to speak from experience here, little brother. My time on the line came long
ago, in another unpopular war in another troubled time. Unlike you, I walked away
without much damage---physically, anyway. But eight years ago last month, I got a
REAL good taste of what many of you are going through now.

I got between an amped-out escaping mental patient and a little old lady, and I got
(according to witnesses) just about every square inch of my head used for a soccer ball
for just under three minutes. I got the helicopter ride, and the brain surgery, and two
heart attacks on the table, and then my lungs gave out, and the only way they could save
me was to induce a coma and warehouse me up on the ninth floor. And when I finally did
come to, I was a monster and a spaz and a mutilated gimp. And the doctors told my family
that I had a five-percent chance of living even a year.

But you already know about that stuff. And you probably know about all that crap they
(mercifully) tell our families about comas, and that you're weren't in a tunnel of light,
or a place that smelled like Mom's warm cookies, or on the happy rainbow butterfly planet.

And, if you're reading this, by now you know ALL about Pain-with-a-P. And doubt. And despair.
And looking in the mirror and seeing Frankenstein staring back. Or opening your mouth and
hearing only the wrong words coming out. Or about not laughing---or even smiling---for
a long, long time.

And now some certifiable maniac is suggesting to your doctors that they put you into a
kayak(!) with fishing rods and sharp hooks, with limbs gone or not working, or your own
brain betraying you every chance it gets. Maybe you're worried that you will look odd or
foolish to others (you won't), or that you will make mistakes (you will, and none of us
will give a tinker's dad'gum or a second glance, because that's how WE learned).

Maybe you think you can't cut it anymore. Really? You've been through TWO Hells now, the Hell
of recovery, and the one that put you there. You had the BOXCAR-sized stones to step up and
take one for your country in some godforsaken dungheap---and, God love you for it, you STILL
probably blush or get all flustered anytime someone refers to you as a hero.

Kayakfishing isn't Jesus. It won't sprout a new limb out of that stump, it won't make you
look like Brad Pitt or dance like Fred Astaire, and it sure as hell won't make the many
ungrateful low-lifes in our society even give you the time of day. I don't know what it will
do for your body or your brain.

But what it WILL do is SHOW you---right down in the center of your heart, in the very core of
your being---that the world is NOT all cordite and torn flesh, or needles and bandages, or the
long anguish of clawing your way back, or watching others carefully avert their eyes, or going
through the rest of your life feeling like an X in a world full of O's.

The world is also the dappled sunlight of a quiet cove. It's the heart-stopping awe of a
great blue heron or an osprey whispering by just above your head. It's plunging your hand into
the cool, clean water of an ageless river and literally feeling its tirelessly beating pulse.
It's the heart-hammer of a hookup, the happy shouts of "Fish ON!" from your true brothers,
the little shudder of joy that goes through your spirit when you catch-and-release, knowing
that you have protected a fragile treasure for yet another generation.

DO IT, brother! GO with those guys! They're all just like you---they're crazier than Larry, Curly
and Moe, they're harder to kill than Dracula, they've got absolutely NO quit in them at all, and
many of them haven't got enough unscarred hide left to make a decent wallet. And they'll show you
how to take a big, honkin' bite out of life and let the juice run down your chin, and laugh like
a drunken monkey the whole time you're doing it.

Your brother,

Clinton S. Tyree

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care" Don Swartz

brian1976

• When I have my mid life crisis I want to buy a really expensive kayak and the worlds best gear. (Its cheaper than sports car).
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
"Danglin"  in Sac-town is comming onboard!!   :smt003  send him some love when you can :smt007

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Hey Brian,      :smt006

Thanks for keeping the Fire Burning...

in Sac-town

I work in Sac, live in the East Bay,  which is perfect for getting to all the VA's and such to present this program when were ready....

I've been in touch with Jim Dolan, I have the info on getting this going....

It's alot, and going to take some time on our end and in No Way is a Solo Effort!!!

Were going to need Licensed and Insured Guides / Volunteers, yaks, transportation, Fishing Gear, tax Ids, bank accounts etc.. etc..,

We will have help from the National Director of the program in Texas, Jim Dolan,

and the Kayak Anglers Society of America,  but eventually, this is our baby...

This will probably start off small to begin with, but with our region and our Great Crew here at NCKA,

I see this getting Big and Being a Huge success......  :smt004 :smt004 :smt004 :smt004 :smt004

Like I said before, it's going to take a while to get a chapter going here in the Greater Bay Area, lots of details in the pudding, but I'm on it,  so Brian...

If your able to get a event going sooner, let us know how to help, or if we have to wait until we get a chapter going...

Here is a little more info on the program and it's Merits......

Heroes on the Water Quotes and Pictures

We see the benefits over and over to the injured folks. The rehabilitation aspect was an unintended consequence of helping the injured service members. Our “AHA!” moment happened in December 2007. We had a soldier with major TBI. He stuttered, would not talk to us and wanted to be left alone. He did not initially want to get in a kayak. We put him on the water for four hours by himself.  When we were helping him out, we asked how his morning was. For 30 seconds he was jabbering away, talking about how great kayaking was, he caught 5 fish, and really enjoyed the time on the water. Then, he … and us, realized he was talking normal. He went back to stuttering, but relayed to us that that was the first time in two years he “was able to talk normally.” He said” Now I know I can do it. Now I have hope”. It was at that point we realized that what we were doing was more than just kayak fishing.  His picture is below. And this is a guy who was afraid to get in a kayak.

The quotes below are from participants, Parents, Recreation Therapist and Warrior Transition Battalion Cadre members. We have experienced over and over the change in attitude, coming out of a shell, and joining in the camaraderie and banter.  

Rosalinda Babin of Round Rock has spent six years helping her son, Alan Babin, Jr., overcome gunshot wounds suffered during an 82nd Airborne Division battle.  Babin sustained injuries to his liver and diaphragm, lost his spleen, 90 percent of his stomach and part of his pancreas.
   Six weeks later, he contracted meningitis at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and suffered a stroke.  Complications from the stroke have been the hardest to overcome, said his mother. When they attended an HOW event, Rosalinda Babin was moved by the poignant image of empty wheelchairs lining the launch site, abandoned in favor of kayaks.
   “Looking out onto the lake, there was no way to differentiate between the able bodied and the disabled heroes—a huge therapeutic moment for the parent of a wounded warrior.  Traditional therapy involves the same set of rules and activity for all, with similar results expected.  HOW allows a pleasurable activity to bring therapeutic results to each participant in different forms.”

Though they had the run of a 10-acre lake, Marines Aiken and Preston wound up fishing side by side, a pattern that Dolan has seen repeated on numerous occasions.
   “The opportunity to gather with our brothers-in-arms in a setting that’s engaging, yet relaxing is fantastic,” said Aiken, who had attended other HOW events.  “I’m not a licensed therapist but I’ve seen a lot of them. Few have prescribed an activity like this as therapy but I assure you that it’s more effective than most of the therapy I’ve received.”
   To Aiken, who is forming a nationwide U.S. Marine Corps Chamber of Commerce, having an organized activity involving other veterans is a good transitional activity for men and women reconnecting with society.
   “During service, and particularly on deployment, military personnel operate as a team,” he said.  “Transition is reverse culture shock.  Most veterans groups focus their attention inward or to the past.  HOW focuses on an activity and most young warriors in transition would rather do something other than swapping war stories around a bar.  With HOW, we’re swapping stories across a pond, without the hangover.”

Heather Gardner is a recreational therapist at the Center for the Intrepid at Brooke Army Medical Center.  Her specialty is adaptive sports with ties to the U.S. Paralympics. Gardner defines recreational therapy as a way of distracting one’s mind from the toll the body may be taking on and diverting it to something that is pleasing to the mind, body, soul, or a combination of those aspects.
   Gardner is not at all surprised at therapeutic breakthrough anecdotes related to kayak fishing.  She’s led several groups on HOW outings.  The first involved wounded warriors who were missing both legs above the knees.  The majority of those participants said they wanted to fish but not kayak.  A few wanted to kayak but not fish.
   Within 20 minutes, with no encouragement from anyone, said Gardner, everyone of them was in a kayak with a fishing rod in their hands.  How does Gardner assess the therapeutic value of that experience?
   “I’m sure it was different for each participant,” she said.  “Getting away from the hospital and a daily routine can be therapeutic.  Putting them in a boat where they are the sole controller can be therapeutic.  Doing an activity that is not physically challenging and entirely in their control can be therapeutic.
“I will never forget one of the kids we took fishing on the coast,” said Jim Dolan, HOW’s national coordinator.  “He was totally lost in whatever had happened to him in the Middle East and, when he responded to our questions, his responses usually consisted of one word.   “The first fish that he caught resulted in a big grin.  Forty eight hours and several fish later, he was looking us in the eye and speaking in three or four word sentences.  We didn’t cure that kid but we put a crack in the shell where he was able to see something other than his own problems.”

Military doctors are reluctant to discuss recovering veterans but HOW volunteers have been told that kayak fishing may have the same impact on soldiers suffering traumatic brain injuries as horseback riding has on autistic children.
   Besides, says U.S. Army Major Cody Roberson, there’s an undeniable restorative power in nature.  Roberson helped found HOW in 2007, then turned the program over to Dolan when Roberson was deployed to Iraq.  Now stationed in San Antonio, Roberson is president and founder of Army Bass Angler, a pro fishing team of active duty soldiers.
   “The HOW program relies on Mother Nature to do what she’s been doing for a long time,” said Roberson.  “I’ve seen it repeatedly.  When injured vets show up for an HOW event, they don’t want to talk about their injuries.  You put them in a kayak—get ‘em concentrating on paddling the boat, positioning the boat and making the cast and, next thing you know, they’re talking.”

From a Warrior Transition Battalion Commander – “This is one of the best programs I have seen for our Soldiers.  It is therapeutic, inexpensive, easily transportable, you catch fish, on and on.... We are close to a lot of water around here and I would like to see more Soldiers take part”
2 Oct 2009 –
“Jim,
I helped out with the HOW event at Medina Lake last Friday. This last event opened my eyes and you can count on me for up coming HOW events. I didn't know what to expect but I'm glad I got involved. The conversations I had with these warriors did my heart good. Great bunch of guys and gals in the service!!!!  

One on the guys at this event paddled a canoe back home but now has no fingers on either hand. He said "Tape the paddles to me, I'm going out there one way or another!!!!!!" When he can back in he said, "Best day ever of rehab!!!!"  

Travis Meier ”

Project Goal --  Reintegrating wounded military personnel back into their families and  the civilian world and enhancing their physical and emotional rehabilitation. We do not have the solution for every soldier. HOW exposes as many as possible in hope that our brand of therapeutic recreation will help.

From a BAMC injured soldier – We were in a meeting at the Center for the Intrepid at BAMC the 2nd week of October discussing a 10 week, one day a week program for the folks at BAMC. One of the soldier called what we do “Triple Therapy” or “all at once Therapy.”  On post, he has to go to the Gym for physical Therapy, then go upstairs for his occupational therapy, and then go to the Psychiatrist for mental therapy. With kayak fishing he gets it all at once.  He gets physical therapy from paddling and fishing, occupational therapy because he is learning a lifetime sport/activity, and mental because of the total concentration on himself and relaxing in nature with no distractions or expectations of performance.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:12:34 AM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks Brian for the post and Don for getting thing going.  Let's know if anything we can do to help/participate.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

porky (bp)

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Some Good News....

Been on the phone all morning with this and Jim, and here is the scoop...

Getting these guys out on the water is much just like taking a " Newbie " fishing...

As far as the " Nuts and Bolts " of being affiliated with HOW,,, Brian and I will take care of all the details of being associated with " HOW " and setting up chapters...

Ours will be...

" Northern California Hero's on The Water  "

We need a Geographical name as to get people to us who may be looking...

( Brian... we need to talk...  :smt006  )

it includes being a part of their tax id#, a DBA, etc...

and to have " Volunteer Insurance thru " HOW " and other things...

We also do not need to be " Insured/License Guides... " the MOA agreement needs to be adjusted and will be...

Basically, for now, we just need to get organized and Find a Good place to take these gents....

Now, for the Hard Part........

Finding these guys....  It appears that the Military is not on board as much as I had hoped. I'm sure that will change as the program becomes bigger, but for now, Our biggest challenge will be to find these guys. This will be the first chapter in Ca. so we are blazing new ground.

Most that participate are retired out and Non-Active Military. We need to get the word out and find these guys at VA Halls, Veterans Groups and well, I don't know...

That's were we need the Collective NCKA with the know how and imagination to get this thing going...

Will post more as I find out more, but for now... lets figure out good spots to fish,

ie. (In Texas, Ranchers have come out of the wood work to let these guys fish private lakes and ponds....)

and, How we find these guys/women who made be interested...

Brian and I will work on the Legal stuff....

" Lets get this Going!!!!!!  "   :groupwave

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
You know, I read here how some members are getting tired of NCKA and "what it's become"...then I read a post like this.  I'm man enough to admit to tearing up a little reading the stories above.  You guys totally rock for getting this thing going!
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Hey Danglin,  shoot me a msg.  I am starting a new position at the VA in Palo Alto next month. Just got the word yesterday.  I would love to work with this.

Kevin
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Danglin,  shoot me a msg.  I am starting a new position at the VA in Palo Alto next month. Just got the word yesterday.  I would love to work with this.

Kevin

PERFECT!!!!!!!   That's what I'm talking about!!!!   :smt004

Which are You ,,,

ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
i'm in this!! 

Later, when all details are figured out, I think we need a some lake(s) to waive the darn launch fees(for the Vets)

Good work!!!   putting effort into something that will make a person SMILE!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Said it before, will say it again--- just let me know what you want from me, and I'll do it.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Don,

You're making it out to be more work than it is.  We can easily do this!!!  I, however, don't mean to trivialize it.  I worked with HOW and Jim Dolan when they were formulating doing this in the NW.  However, I moved back before we were able to make it a reality.  My kudos to Brian for taking up the flag.

All that being said, I am willing and able to work on this with you guys.  Me and my fleet of kayaks are at your disposal.

-Allen

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
BRAVO, Don and all involved!  This IS the spirit of NCKA and kayakfishing.

Let me know when I can assist on my end of the state.

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

brian1976

• Salmon
  • View Profile
This Is an Idea of what to expect from an event..

This was posted on NWKA by my friend and HOW guide Brian Oakland ('Yak_monkey)

I had been anticipating this event for months, knowing that it would be an interesting and worthwhile experience.  I kept the upcoming trip in mind every time I went into Joe's while I was picking over the gravesite,   ,always trying to figure out what the soldiers might need.  Then I got smart and decided that there was no way to anticipate those needs until I knew the water we were to fish, and how many of them had fishing gear and knowledge.  So, I changed gears and just planned on making myself available with enough time to do a good pre-fish, enough cash to stock up for several fishermen, enough gear to hand out and to help cobrakak76 however I could.
   I must say that Brian (cobrakak76) really took this project to heart and did a LOT of coordinating that went undisclosed on these forums.  Not only did he coordinate us, as guides, but he was able to communicate with several different agencies within Ft. Lewis, volunteers who donated time and money for the catering of lunch and the BBQ, WDFW for a group fishing license, each and every one of the soldier attendees and their safety certification, as well as some private parties who donated some of the prizes that were given out.  He also came up with a scoring system for a derby that made the day a lot more fun and interesting.  Oh, ya, and he and his family put up with ME while I was there helping out!

I arrived in Lacey on Wed. night and met up with Brian at the Cabela's store.  Nice place, lots of dreamy stuff, a little overpriced.  I should have brought a hankerchief to wipe the drool off my chin.  After grabbing a little bit of gear and chatting about what was known of Lake St. Clair, we headed off to Brian's for a beer and some planning.  The plan was for the two of us to get up early and head over to the lake and get in an early pre-fish, then to head over to the Post to attend the orientation and safety training that was required for the Soldiers.
   The alarm went off in the A.M. and we headed out to the lake.  We found a few bank fishermen already there, which was encouraging. Once we were out on the water, we headed to some of the spots that Brian had previously fished and we went about experimenting.  Squidgirl showed up a little after we were on the water, and she joined us in the research.  The coloration of the water required that we use bright colors, or silver flash to attract attention.  Two tone senko's proved to catch bass in shallow water and near walls and docks, while we found that spinners with silver blades and kastmasters were doing well on the trout troll.  Crawlers under a bobber pulled out some bluegill, perch and small bass as well.  None of the fish seemed to be of exceptional size, but that is typical of WA lakes and especially those that get as much pressure as this lake seems to be accustomed to.
   Once we packed up and got our passes to get on post, we made it to the Adventure Center and commenced with the training. They had a very nice video of kayaking safety, paddling technique, terminology etc. that we all watched.  I believe it was produced as a joint effort by Johnson Outdoors, Paddler Magazine, NRS and maybe a few other prominent kayaking entities.  (If anyone has the title of it, I'd love to know where to get a copy!)  After the video there was some Q&A time as well as some discussion of the difference between the kayaks in the video and the boats we would actually be on.  After the indoor session, we headed down to the small beach at the nearby lake and put our personal kayaks in the water.  This gave the soldiers a chance to paddle around a little bit and become a bit more acquainted with what to expect on Saturday.  It was fun to show the boats to the soldiers and all of them were able to get on board and get a feel for it.  I think all of them enjoyed it and became more relaxed and comfortable with what was ahead for them.  Once that was done, the three of us (myself, Brian and Marilyn) grabbed a bite to eat, after which Brian and I headed back to his place where we spent the evening comparing tackle stashes and getting poles and gear ready for Saturday.
   As Friday was a regular work day, I was free to head off to the lake to do some more pre-fishin'.  Marilyn had expressed an interest in going along, so we decided to meet that morning and to give it another go.  Fortunately we made it an easy morning and showed up at a time more consistent with what would be a realistic start time for the actual event.  There was a little lag in the morning meet-up, but we worked it out and things went well that day.  Marilyn caught several trout, landing most of them, so we were secure in knowing that the trout troll would work out well for folks new to fishing.  I targeted bass for most of the day, with success mostly on smaller, flashy baits.  None of them were of any real size, but they are still fun!  I stayed out until dusk, and was able to stay long enough to see the evening bite pick up.
   It is interesting to note that the bass population of the lake was spread between 3 species.  I was catching largemouth, smallmouth and "rock" bass.  I don't have any pics, but I can say that they had black spots in the center of the scales on the lower half of their sides and down into the light area of the belly.  I believe the pics that have been recently commented on in another post are pics of the same type of fish.
   The day of the event arrived, and we woke up with the sun. We headed down to the lake to get set up, and although it took a few hours to get everything ready, it went very well.  We got everything prepared and we ended up with just enough boats for the attendees.  Soldiers and attendees trickled in, and we had just about everybody in place on time.  We drew names from a hat to divide up into teams and to assign specific soldiers to their respective guides.  Then the job of assigning kayaks to soldiers was accomplished by having them draw numbers. We had to make a few adjustments based on the physical needs of a few of them, but all in all it went well.  Next we started handing out paddles, pfd's fishing rods and jokes.  The overall tone of the morning was quite jovial.  The anticipation was palpable, yet subdued.  The folks that were ready early paddled around a bit before we all rafted up, and wouldn't you know it, one of the ladies actually caught a fish while we waited!  Come to think of it, even before half of the folks arrived one of the guys caught a nice trout right off the boat dock.  All this put a smile on my face, as it was most important to me that everyone have a good time and catch at least a few fish.  Once everyone was ready, we rafted up and reviewed the rules and safety procedures, performed a radio check (all guides had vhf) and counted heads.  Then, a-fishin' we all went!
   The day was divided up into 2 sessions, with a lunch break and score tally after the first session and a nice BBQ and final tally after the second session.  At first, I thought that the fishing sessions were a little on the short side, but I came to realize the logic in it when it became apparent that not all of the soldiers were going to be able to stay out on the water for that kind of duration.  When I think about it now, it was very well timed.
   I would love to be able to provide a play by play of how my group fared, but I'm not sure all of you will have read this far into my uber-long report, let alone what would be here if I related all the details.  Let it suffice to say that everyone had a good time, and we created some kayak fishermen from folks that had never kayaked or fished, let alone both at the same time! My day was spent teaching techniques of several varieties, helping rig up gear, deciding on when to apply what tactics and chasing boats around with my net trying to help them land their fish.  It was a lot of work, but a blast!
   There is one story, however, that I'd like to relate in it's details.  One of the fisherman, who was lucky enough to be able to use Karl's Outback, was a trolling king that day and was the overall points winner of the event.  He also made the most unique catch of the day.  He caught a young goose.  Yes, you read correctly.  A goose.  He had been trolling relatively quickly, and a gaggle of geese swam across his line.  It turned out that only one hook from the treble had made it into the skin, and had actually exited the skin on the same side, so the injury was very minor.  No damage done to anything other than skin.  I never realized how tough the foot of a goose was.  So, all in all, it was a most interesting lesson learned for all.
   The rest of the day was eventful in that the fishing was quite a success, but nothing happened that had quite the uniqueness of the goose adventure. To summarize the event, I have to say that it was a grand success!  The forethought was well done, the organization and coordination well timed, the needs of all were met more than adequately, and there was no lack of anything required!  Bravo!

Peronally, I'd willingly do it again, no problem!

anything