Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hi All! Anyone with Experience with Inflatable Kayaks?  (Read 1277 times)

yatzmail@yahoo.com

the problem with yakgina is they can be left open by the user and take on water  :smt003

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Well the OP hasn’t mentioned what it is so I’m guessing non quality? TLW and I tried a couple of them Marlboro (collect the top and pay shipping) gimmick freebie ones that her dad had (he didn’t smoke, got them as a garbage man) ..... THEY SUCKED, we were wet from the chest down (too bad I didn’t pack TLW a white tee shirt) they tracked like a trailer with one wheel missing, one had a slow leak, once the wind picked up we couldn’t go down river anymore and had to haul out in a farmers field and call for a ride......he gave them to my kids a few years ago and they have never seen water since we took them out 15+ years ago. Just my $0.02

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Cool video Kevin.

However I would have used a bin when handling crabs or spiny fish instead.  :smt003

I will go out as far as anyone except the AI and such in my hobie i14T. It's a user error, not the inflatable ;)

Looking back, that would've been the smart thing to do.  It was my first season doing any fishing on a kayak and I wasn't quite up to speed with all the necessities to the sport yet.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I had a Sea Eagle inflatable and fished from that for a while, in lakes and near shore. It was surprising how durable that thing was, but don’t think I’d try it on the salt.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Adsixnine

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
welcome
nice to meet U :smt006

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hi everyone! Just wanted some advice for myself and my friend with an inflatable kayak we just bought. Thanks!
What kind of advice are you looking for; technical, how to rig, where to go???
I'll give you a few things to think about if you're going to be fishing in the ocean, you will want to have some kind of plastic tub or storage bin for storing your fish and more importantly to protect the IK from getting punctured by the sharp spines of the fish. Back in the day my friend and I were a mile or two off Monterey when he heard a bubbling noise, thought he had a loose valve, but turns out the fish he tossed into the back had punctured a hole in the tube with its spines and he was slowly sinking. Make sure you have all of your safety gear: waterproof/Floating VHF radio-and know how to use it and what channels are monitored by CG and Harbor Patrol. Bilge pump in case you take on water, wear appropriate clothing ie; a wetsuit or paddling clothing, booties, hat, PFD, pliers or line cutters, spare paddle or paddle leash, a game clip to secure your fish-don't leave your fish hanging over the side in the water, you're just inviting the wrong visitors. Good thing to know how much Max PSI is to inflate your kayak and when to anticipate expansion or contraction, so on warmer days in the sun the boat tubes will expand and on cooler days they will contract. It's important not to over-inflate and always carry your air pump with you for these situations. Know your limitations, best not to go solo, do your homework on marine conditions like swell size-direction, wind, weather, and how these affect different areas in different ways. Oh yeah, and clean it with fresh water regularly and follow up with applying a product called 303 to keep it from cracking and UV damage from the sun. Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:10:00 PM by solsrf1 »

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I used an inflatable kayak exactly once to paddle out to Goat Island at Lake Berryessa. On the trip back in, the kayak sprang a leak and began to take on water. Thankfully, the lake level was low and several of the smaller rockpiles between the island and Oak Shores were poking out of the water which allowed us to stop and empty out the water as we island-hopped our way back to shore. In all of the commotion though, my prescription sunglasses went overboard and the drybag came open and filled up with water frying our cellphones and keyfobs. That kayak found a permanent home in the dumpster at Oak Shores.

Anyways, welcome !  :smt006
Was it a sevylor or an intex?  :smt003

My advance element is more than 10 years old and still going strong.
A Seyvlor, I think. I didn't buy it myself - I was gifted it from a friend in "I only used it once" condition. In hindsight, he probably barely survived his maiden voyage and decided on cutting his losses. Or he really just didnt like me ...
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game