Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Check this hog from Lake Shasta is it a big brown or a salmon?  (Read 1640 times)

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
The terms "wild" and "native" get swapped around a lot, but they don't mean the same thing.
Reminds me of a discussion from a Restoration Ecology lecture during my college days. Very good to make the distinction though, as is the point that just because habitat is managed for a species, it doesn't automatically mean that the species is "native." See Striped Bass for another perfect example.

About the fish though, wow, what a pig ! The belly fins and the orientation of the black spots makes me think its a massive Brown.  Its not, but it reminds me of one of the triploid trout due to its girth and features. Amazing fish though.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The terms "wild" and "native" get swapped around a lot, but they don't mean the same thing. "Native" fish are the ones that have been around for thousands of years, the ones that evolved here without human intervention.  Rainbow trout, Sacramento pikeminnow, and Sacramento perch are good examples of fish that are "native" to California.

"Wild" describes a species that is self-sustaining in the wild.  However, this can also include fish that were introduced by humans into an environment that originally never saw the species.  Brown trout were introduced into the US from Europe back in the 1800s, so no matter how one slices it, there's no such thing as a "native brown trout" in North America.  Most fish in CA are "wild" but aren't "native" here, such as all the black basses, brown+brook trout, carp, catfish, etc.

In fisheries and wildlife management, it is very important to distinguish between these terms.  In the USFS, we spend a helluva lot more time, effort, and money on restoring/enhancing habitat for "native" species.  We also manage habitat for "desirable non-natives" such as wild brown trout, but they're essentially towards the bottom of the barrel in terms of priorities (and funding).

Well put Chris, thanks for the info...
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
The terms "wild" and "native" get swapped around a lot, but they don't mean the same thing. "Native" fish are the ones that have been around for thousands of years, the ones that evolved here without human intervention.  Rainbow trout, Sacramento pikeminnow, and Sacramento perch are good examples of fish that are "native" to California.

"Wild" describes a species that is self-sustaining in the wild.  However, this can also include fish that were introduced by humans into an environment that originally never saw the species.  Brown trout were introduced into the US from Europe back in the 1800s, so no matter how one slices it, there's no such thing as a "native brown trout" in North America.  Most fish in CA are "wild" but aren't "native" here, such as all the black basses, brown+brook trout, carp, catfish, etc.

In fisheries and wildlife management, it is very important to distinguish between these terms.  In the USFS, we spend a helluva lot more time, effort, and money on restoring/enhancing habitat for "native" species.  We also manage habitat for "desirable non-natives" such as wild brown trout, but they're essentially towards the bottom of the barrel in terms of priorities (and funding).

Well put Chris

+1.

That is pretty much the way I see it too but had never really heard it discussed.  Glad to know that I'm not that far off base.  :smt044

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I cringe every time I hear "native brown", but like "horns" on deer I just keep going and realize the person is either ignorant of the truth or doesn't care about the details of language and meanings.
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
There is absolutely no way that's a 21 lb fish.

Nice catch, regardless.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
Kinda what I thought.  Maybe 15?

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt044
  21lbs is the official FishSniffer weight! :smt044
I see a fish that size, I'm thinking "Steaks".......

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
so 15# it was  :smt003

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Agreed. Doubtful that brown went 21lbs...IF it truly was 28 inches long. I'm basing that on the reported length; not the picture, because pics can be deceiving. Had they stated it was 32" long or 34" long, then ok I'd believe 21lbs.

It is similar size & shape as Noaoki's fatty native/wild rainbow last year...which was 10lbs?
http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/catches/2932

21lbs and only 28 inches long? Must've been a girthy gal.

Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If that's 21lbs, then I have a 12" dong.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

anything