Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:53:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:28:37 PM]

[Today at 05:19:42 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:11:20 PM]

[Today at 01:30:39 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: NEW 2010 DATES! MBK Kayakfishing Intro/Safety and Surf Class  (Read 6331 times)

Aaron

• Salmon
  • Love and respect the great blue world.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Allen, I have worked with more advanced students and usually tailor my lessons for each individual's experience and skill level.The last few classes have had only two to four clients, so there was plenty of time for individual attention.If group sizes are larger, we will split the group so each instructor will work with a maximum of four clients to each instructor.You can now also fish in the AM and only sign up for the surf zone component, if you don't need the rigging, stroke and rescue lessons covered in the first half of the class.

We also offer a surf zone two class where we surf WS Kaos if you want to take it to the next level.

Thanks for all the support NCKA.Great to see so many of you out at MBK Sunday!
Manager Monterey Bay Kayaks Moss Landing
ACA Certified Instructor,Kayak Tour Guide

Aaron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hi Aaron,

I would be very interested in this since I am a Newbie. You mentioned "Thigh Braces", I have been wanting to get some for my Tarpon 160 SOT, what is a good type (brand).

Thanks for your help,

Kicker

Hi Kicker, We use (and sell) the Surf to Summit contour thigh braces.They are essential when side-surfing your kayak and I find they help me brace and lean turn my boat.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool deal Aaron.  Actually I might sign up for the full deal just to see what you teach in the morning.

-Allen

kicker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
Thanks Aaron, I will get some on order. I look forward to taking this class.

Kicker

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Just got finished taking the May 10, 2010 class yesterday.  Me, tiny and three other guys (at least two who were definitively NCKA members, but because I am horrible at remembering names, I cannot name right now).  I have to say that this is a great class and it really increased my confidence in entering and exiting the surf.  I would highly recommend this class to anyone who is a newbie like myself.  I am now considering taking the surf class as well it was so much fun.

Michael

Aaron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks Michael! This was a great class and you are all troopers for toughing out the surf zone in 20kt+ offshore wind.I'm always impressed by the great crew we have here on NCKA.You guys rock!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Registered Sara and I for the 5/8 class  :smt002  Hope some other NCKA folks join up too!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

daviator

• Sea Lion
  • tsui li baca = crazy about fishing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Hi Aaron,

I took class with you last season along with brother Flyaker and scott and others..thought it was particularly useful this past weekend at Shelter Cove, especially on the beach recovery. there was a surprise surge at the last minute right along the beach that caught many by surprise.

YOu may have already heard but 3 guys went in up there at ShelterCove during the GS4 tournament...one guy got hung up badly on his leashes..(montana8?) and lost gear as a result..
while that was happening.. I was abt 50yds away hung up on a bad snag.. I suspect many that flipped on the open water were trying to undo snags.

so a couple of us were talking over lunch the next morning comparing techniques on how best to free a stuck line...or how best to break off rig without endangering rod/ reel..
jedmo had a really good suggestion in wrapping your line around something like a water bottle, (this prevents line digging into spool) holding it down by your side, and then waiting  to rise up on a swell to snap off your line..this way you remain centered and not leaning over to one side.

anyhow...thought you might incorporate situations which we fishermen find ourselves in.  (you may already be discussing this already..I may have forgotten..sun baking my head)

regards,
dave
 ps...thanks for the kayak fishing mag last month at MossLanding...

Seabiscuit

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Arron, I'm thinking of coming to your Saturday 6/12 class....is it still a go?  How much $ and what time do you start?....Let me know, Thanks, Rich

Aaron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the great class Rich! Once again the NCKA possie nailed their self-rescues (recoveries) and made major breakthroughs in the surf zone.WTG!

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Looks like the Sept. 11 will be my free time to finally
take the safety class from Aaron at MBK. I will bring
my Hobie Revolution since this one seems not to track
as well as my T13 when landing. See you guys there.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Jedmo I'm going with you .I took the class earlier this year in a mbk yak (prowler 13)This time it will be in my tarpon 140 with gear as if I was returning from ocean fishing to surf landing.The wipe outs are fun.I learned alot last time .Aaron and staff are great.I was hoping to go with my NCKA buddies.So there you go.See you there.I will register today.

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
What a great fun it was taking the safety class from Aaron. I highly recommend this class for whosoever has not taken it yet. I only wished I had signed up for the full class session rather than the first half. Oh well, since I enjoyed myself very
much I don't mind going over what I have already learned from him and take a full
safety course next time.

He was so great to show us how to get back on our kayak from falling off both on
the beach and once we were on the ocean. What a great instructor and full of
knowledge this guys is. I wished I had my camera with me to share some pictures.

Jedmo

1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I took Aarons class this saturday  9-11-10 for the second time this year.The 1st time was in a MBK yak.This time was in my tarpon 140.I had a great time again and learned so much.A couple good wipe outs and a couple successful side surfings,which is a blast.I am definetly going to get into surf kayaking real soon.I recommend this course to any one new to kayaking.The first class saved my arse at shelter cove this year.Aaron is an excellent instructor, which most of us in the NCKA already know.New guys and gals need to check it out.If anyone wants to take the surf 2 class let me know.I'll go with you.That class you will be in a surf kayak.
                                                              tiny

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

Aaron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Jedmo and Tiny, You guys rock! Thanks for the kind words.

I can't tell you how satisfying it was to see Tiny side-surfing in waves like a pro on his well outfitted (simple and bombproof) Tarpon 140.I could tell you put a ton of thought and craftsmanship into your rigging.Plus, you gained a great deal of experience since you first took the class.I admire your commitment to become a complete kayaker as well as a complete angler.Nice work buddy!