Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 2nd rod in San Pablo Bay?  (Read 1284 times)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Is 2nd rod allowed in San Pablo Bay? Assuming 2nd rod stamp purchased. Thanks!
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I think I just found the answer...•While fishing in San Francisco and San Pablo bays you can only use one fishing line with no more than three separate hooks or lures.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I think I just found the answer...•While fishing in San Francisco and San Pablo bays you can only use one fishing line with no more than three separate hooks or lures.
Keep in mind the definition of San Francisco and San Pablo bays includes the tributaries. You are also limited to one pole in the Napa River for example. I don't know if it was changed but I believe you're allowed two poles when fishing in the bay from a pier.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
That 2nd rod stamp is only allowed for inland waters and east of the Carquinez bridge (I believe). 
I run into so many guys who misunderstand this.  Only way to use two rods/rigs/traps in the SF and SP Bay would be off a public fishing pier. 

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
That 2nd rod stamp is only allowed for inland waters and east of the Carquinez bridge (I believe). 
I run into so many guys who misunderstand this.  Only way to use two rods/rigs/traps in the SF and SP Bay would be off a public fishing pier.

That is also incorrect. You can fish off a fishing pier without a license, but you still have to follow the fishing regulations, which means only 1 rod in San Francisco and San Pablo bay.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
When I discussed it with DFG a while back they said fishing from the pier had different rules.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:12:23 PM by traildad »

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

That is also incorrect. You can fish off a fishing pier without a license, but you still have to follow the fishing regulations, which means only 1 rod in San Francisco and San Pablo bay.
2 Rods(lines) on the piers, Mcnears, paradise, baker, chrissy field...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Where does it say you are allowed to fish with 2 lines? The 2 rods on pier rule only apply for crabbing.

28.65 (a) San Francisco Bay, as described in Section 27.00, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.
(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Where does it say you are allowed to fish with 2 lines? The 2 rods on pier rule only apply for crabbing.

28.65 (a) San Francisco Bay, as described in Section 27.00, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.
(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.
I read that as separate items.  We have been approached by cdfw at mcnears and paradise and there is never a question about 2 rods per person.  I'm paranoid throwing a cast net or having a bait trap in the water with 2 rods in so I pull one during that time.  One sabiki going on the pier and one with live bait is also common.  Two rods and lines does not sound like crab gear.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Eddie is correct. I've been approached at nearly every pier inside the Bay and this was never as issue.
It is read as separate items. Two rods or handlines refers to fin fish and the two nets, traps or other appliances refer to crabs.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I read that as separate items.  We have been approached by cdfw at mcnears and paradise and there is never a question about 2 rods per person.  I'm paranoid throwing a cast net or having a bait trap in the water with 2 rods in so I pull one during that time.  One sabiki going on the pier and one with live bait is also common.  Two rods and lines does not sound like crab gear.
I remember getting questioned not at a public pier and I was using two rods in china camp at a dock in a tributary.  I was truly ignorant because I figured it was a public dock so I justified two rods.  As we were wrapping up the dark green badged truck came flying down and the questioning began.  He asked how many rods I was using.  He asked where I usually fish.  I told him Mcnears, Paradise, Bodega Jetty, Bon tempe...all two rod legal spots.  I told him I was using two to finish up using my bait.  It was New Years day and he gave me a break because I told the truth and he said he saved me a 700.00 $ ticket.  I was truly grateful.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Eddie, you got lucky!  $700 ticket could have easily bought you another kayak!

Again, that's why I mentioned "public fishing pier". 
Not all docks, piers, or jetties are recognized as county/state public fishing piers.  If they're not, then they fall under the same regulations as fishing from shore.  1 rod/line/rig/trap and license required. 

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

As for when the 2nd rod stamp comes into effect for inland waters, I can't remember if it's east of the Carquinez Bridge or east or the Benicia bridge. 

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

As for when the 2nd rod stamp comes into effect for inland waters, I can't remember if it's east of the Carquinez Bridge or east or the Benicia bridge.
Carquinez bridge. In the image I posted above, it is clearly stated, in the regs not so much. I think they decided since piers in ocean waters in general are limited to two poles instead of unlimited like most ocean waters they would allow two poles everywhere including in the bay where normally it's one pole max.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

It isn't spelled out in the regs. There are two conflicting regs and they decided to have the two poles on piers overrule the one pole in the bay. Just one of the many quirks of the regs.

anything