Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tick Bites...  (Read 2788 times)

opie

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
http://murakamicentreforlyme.org/How%20To%20Check%20for%20Ticks.htm

How to check for ticks.

Step 1
Head straight for your bathroom and strip off all your clothes. Toss them in a dry bathtub. This keeps any critters crawling across the bathroom floor. Just because they aren't on you, doesn't mean they won't find you later in they are out crawling around.

Step 2
Check your hair first. If you have long hair , take it down. Run your fingers flat against your scalp and over your entire head. Hold your fingers together and use both hands. Touch the entire surface area of your scalp. Feel for small bumps or objects against your head. It helps to have a partner assist you in the search through your hair, making sure to part the hair in sections while checking thoroughly.

Step 3
Comb your hair. Hopefully you didn't find any ticks attached to your head, but they could still be around. Use a small-toothed comb and thoroughly comb through all of your hair. If your hair is long, pull it up when you're finished.

Step 4
Look over the rest of your body from the top down. Some ticks are very small, so look carefully at your skin. You are looking for a small, round, black or brown bump. Stand in front of a long mirror to look at your back side or ask for some assistance if your partner is around.

Step 5
Raise your arms and check your armpits. Ladies, be sure to check underneath your breasts. Ticks like dark areas. Check your male and female parts just in case. Ticks will typically head for the hottest area of the body (the head) and will only stop if they are blocked by clothing or armpits, groins, etc.

Step 6
Put on some clean clothes. If you've made it this far without finding a tick you are good to go. Carefully pick up your clothes from the bathtub and hold them away from yourself. Look for ticks in the bathtub.

Step 7
Take your clothes outside and give them a shake. Turn them inside out and shake them again. If you found a tick, leave your clothes outside for a while. If you missed one, it should crawl away eventually in search of more food.

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
That's the part I worry most about trips to the lake.  That's why I go shower, even in cold water and change clothes. 

Hoping for the best news and outcome.  This reminds me to reapply all my clothes with permetherin.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I got bit by my first tick last year at Lake Sonoma.  I used to sit and lay down wherever I wanted, until I was hanging out at camp and something bit me in the neck.  It was in an area where I couldn't see it in the mirror.  It felt like a mole and no matter how hard I tried to pull it out with my fingers, I couldn't.  I finally had ChuckE check and he confirmed it was a tick.  Luckily he had tweezers to carefully remove it before the tick had a chance to bury it's head.  There's no way I could've removed that tick in the field by myself. 
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
tick are nasty buggers!! Used to go to Bon Tempe and Alpine Lake a lot and hiking around there are a ton of ticks. Even golfing at Half Moon Bay last year I got a few.

Just make sure to tuck in your shirts and pull your socks over your pants. Wear light color so you can spot them in case. This will help slow them down but they will eventually find a way to the blood source.

My dog got a few at Bon Tempe and those suckers leave scars! GF got a few as well when we went home and she notice it. I grab tweeter and pull it out.

Lyme disease is no joke. Her co-worker got it and it eventually ended his life :(

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I got bit by my first tick last year at Lake Sonoma.  I used to sit and lay down wherever I wanted, until I was hanging out at camp and something bit me in the neck.  It was in an area where I couldn't see it in the mirror.  It felt like a mole and no matter how hard I tried to pull it out with my fingers, I couldn't.  I finally had ChuckE check and he confirmed it was a tick.  Luckily he had tweezers to carefully remove it before the tick had a chance to bury it's head.  There's no way I could've removed that tick in the field by myself.

Quick squirt of OFF and they back right out...done it once a buncha times.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
I contracted Lyme and I never even saw the tick, nor did I notice the tick bite.

Know what early stage Lyme looks like!
Do you still suffer from it or are you well because you got treated in time?

I am asymptomatic. Yay.

I think most of us would disagree with you on that one.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I contracted Lyme and I never even saw the tick, nor did I notice the tick bite.

Know what early stage Lyme looks like!
Do you still suffer from it or are you well because you got treated in time?

I am asymptomatic. Yay.

Me too. Got it near Shelter Cove in 2001. Never knew I got bit but I got the nice bullseye rash a few weeks later on the back of my leg. Guy in line behind me at the grocery store saw it and asked me if I played racquetball. Pointed it out. I got it checked but never developed any other symptoms. I've known other people that weren't so lucky.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I hate ticks. Got one on my neck once while Geocaching. Yuck.
I've removed a few from my dogs too.

Hope you're ok.

Al
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:02:15 PM by Alfredo »

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Wear rubber gloves whrn messing with ticks on animals.  Not funny but we used to squish ticks prior to flushing them...ouch
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Wear rubber gloves whrn messing with ticks on animals.  Not funny but we used to squish ticks prior to flushing them...ouch

I'll remove a good dozen from Kona after any weekend on the coast. Lucky so far this weekend. We give her some 3 month pill for the bastards as well.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile

I'll remove a good dozen from Kona after any weekend on the coast. Lucky so far this weekend. We give her some 3 month pill for the bastards as well.

Spray your dog with repellant before turning them loose. I spray Ol Peps down good before quail hunting or any place I think may be "ticky" and I have only pulled a couple off him the last year or so. Usually up under his collar. Try it, it really helps.

kayakingdonald

• Sardine
  • View Profile Best Fishing Kayaks
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Ugh scary stuff, hope it works out OK. Thanks for the guide opie, that's actually quite useful for me as a beginner.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
http://bestfishingkayaks.org/