Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:18:36 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tarpon 14 Vs Prowler 15  (Read 7739 times)

Nufo

anybody have expericance with both of these boats? Any forseen advatages? I am leaning toward the tarpon 14 since its a little newer of a design  and accomidates taller paddlers a little better. I am going to test paddle both this spring before buying one.

Nufo

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I am almost positive that the P15 came out after the T140.  How big are you and what do you want to do with your yak?

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hey Nufo you can test paddle my P15 if ya want. I am in San Jose so we could probably hit Lexington for a test paddle.

FYI if you register on this board you can send and receive private messages. It is helpful!  :smt002

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Bill,

You may want to check if the gate is still closed at the boat ramp.  It is a little hassle get the yak under the closed gate and then you will need wheels to get it to the water.  Or, if you don't have wheels...you need at least two guys.

Stevens Creek might be a better place.

Ken kickfish

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Don't forget we have cunningham, almaden lake and the campbell perc ponds here in town.  They shoud all be fine for a demo/fish.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Nufo

Scwafish,

I am 6'2" and fluctuate between 210 & 235 lbs depending apon time of year and my training. I have sat in both the prowler 15 & the Tarpon 14 The P15 just felt a little cramped. The T14 may or may not be older than the P15 but it has been redesigned and just looks and feels better. I have heard that the P15 will be redesigned soon as well. I am in no hurry so I will wait and test paddle some yaks and see what I like best. In the mean time I have friend who says I can borrow his anytime. I think I will head out to shadow cliffs or del Valle soon to try it out.

Bill,

I just registered and will have to take you up on your offer.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Cool Nufo, I fish Del Valle sometimes, Joel and kickfish are there a lot as well. Joel has a prowler 15, I am sure he will let you paddle it for a bit. Just watch out for the bananna!

:smt002

bassin21

What up Nufo

The Tarpon 140 is a pretty sweet boat, we have a newer T140.  Its well made and pretty fast.  As far as being cramped at 6'2", you will be.  My wife mainly uses our Tarpon and at 5'5 120 it fits her perfect.  I'm 6'3" 165 and feel pretty cramped in it.  It also can get somewhat soggy in the seat, so at 210 you might be sitting in some slop.  If you are looking for a boat that gives you some room, check out the Emotion Fisherman.  California Canoe and Kayak in Jack London Square is now a dealer.  Its got tons, i mean tons of room. You can pretty much have a picnic in the cockpit.  www.emotionkayaks.com The Tarpon has the console that goes halfway down the middle of the cockpit, while on the Emotion, the center console only goes about 6 inches into the cockpit.  It's kind of a reach if you mount electronics but its worth it if your looking for room.  It also allows for a huge rectangle storage hatch which is great to kneel or stand (if you dare) on.  Its not a slow boat either.  I've paddled the Fisherman at 5.4mph and the Tarpon at 5.7mph. The X-Factor looks like it has some good roominess to it as well, but I have not paddled it yet.  So no comment.  Just my humble opinion. :smt003

tallpaul

Hey, I thought I'd give you my impressions of mt T 140.

I'm a big guy...not fat, but 6' 5" and 210 pounds, with long legs. Most boats lack the leg room, but the Tarpon 140 really fits me well, and I'm very comfortable for 3 or four hours in the kayak...haven't tried anything longer. The adjustable foot pegs can be removed foe even more room, but I just sneak my feet around them. If you feel good in this kayak, I think it makes a great fishing platform.

The kayak is quite fast through the water, much faster than my old Scrambler XT, and I don't feel that stability is any problem. There are built in paddle keepers on both sides, and a good well behind you for a crate. There's also a new version of the Tarpon, the 160, with a well behind rather than a hatch. That boat is sure to be even faster...though maybe a bit large to transport/store?

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Tallpaul,

How heavy is the T140 compared to the Prowler 15 and the Scrambler XT?

TallPaul

Hey Joel,

The weight of the Tarpon 140 is 62 pounds, which is 6 pounds heavier than the Prowler, and about ten pounds more than the Scrambler XT. Personnally, I'd say the Tarpon is a far better boat than the Scrambler both for speed and comfort, and the weight difference is expected for a boat that is two feet longer. And longer=faster.

The Prowler seems to be a fine boat, and I think you can't go wrong with that choice if you feel good in it. For me, the Tarpon offered more leg room, which was key for comfort. I had a problem with the Scrambler with my legs going numb; too much pressure on my butt with my knees too high. Problem solved now, I'm a happy yakker.

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
:smt017 I think you should give Sean a call and try the Malibu' s out before buying. I'm 6' 4" tall and weigh 270 I tried those and many others before I got my Malibu Extreme.  
Mike

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Tarpon 160 is the way to go.  A lot faster than the Prowler 15 ft.  Prowler is like a tug boat  compared to the Tarpon.  Prowler is more stable.  But, I would rather have the speed than paddling a slow yak.

Ken kickfish

Nufo

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am still leaning towards the T140 but I think I'll wait to find a used one. I would really like to get the Hobie Outback but for $1500 Id rather have a 12' boat. I have been doing a lot of reading into all the fishing kayaks and the more I read the more confusing it gets. We shall see what I end up with.

Mike

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Nufo-Just try everything you can, and like shoes, you'll find something that feels right as soon as you slip it on.  You are pretty much the same size as me.  As a dealer, I am openly biased but MK boats are definitely big paddler friendly.  They have a ton of legroom, and remain totally dry even with guys much bigger than us.  If you can make the drive demos are always free. Fishing during the demo is encouraged.

I would rather have the P-15 over a T-140.  It is a great boat, but too wet for my taste.  To my knowledge, there is no new P-15 in the works.
Having owned many $1500 12' aluminum boats, I would definitely say get a yak of any kind instead.  No registration, no mechanical hassles, no noise, no fuel, and a zillion times more seaworthy.  You''ll get some excersise, and catch more fish too.  Never had a cute girl say "nice Valco", had lots of girls say "cool kayak" :smt003

anything