Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A Few Summer Fishing Questions  (Read 1062 times)

GoneSquatchin

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Well boys and girls, it's that time of year again; the summer doldrums have stricken the freshwater fisheries, and in some kind of cruel recurring coincidence I'm finding myself drooling over the prospect of capturing a myriad of finned aquatic fauna. The summer in California can be a cruel mix of beautiful weather and poor fishing, so I like to take a more scientific approach in order to ensure more successful trips. As a result of my stubborn persistence and unrelenting obsession, I have a few questions for those of you with the experience to put my "book learnin's" to shame:

1) Does anyone know a good resource for thermocline data in the lowland reservoirs? Alternatively, is there any way I could estimate the depth of the thermocline with immediately available temperature data (e.g. surface temperatures or weather patterns) I would like to save some time putzing about in hopes of finding fish, only to find that my thumb has been planted firmly in my rectum. The lakes in close proximity to Sonoma are my primary target, namely Lake Sonoma, Lake Mendo, Lake Berryessa, etc.

2) Does anyone know of any freshwater fisheries that are consistently producing? I'm not terribly picky about the species, although I'm tired of catching sunfish, and have a preference for bass and salmonids (including trout).

3) Are there any generally good tactics you guys like to employ while fishing lowland lakes and reservoirs? How have you guys been beating the skunk during the summer?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, and any advice on mini-downrigger trolling is most welcome, as that is my next method of focus. Thanks!

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I don't know about thermoclines but you can get devices to tell you the water temp at different depths. Consider French Meadows. I caught three trout, a PB for me.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
You should see it on your fish finder.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
You should see it on your fish finder.

I'm assuming you're talking about the thermocline. Can you explain how to find it on the ff?

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
There will often be some debris built up at the thermocline where the cold, dense, deep water meets the warmer surface water. You'll see a faint line of it on your fish finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Really, though... Summer is prime time for ocean fishing. Salmon, halibut, rockfish, lingcod... they're all biting right now.

It's also time to start targeting salmon in rivers. The Sac river opened to salmon fishing on the 16th. (Be sure to read the regs.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:25:49 AM by AlexB »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Really, though... Summer is prime time for ocean fishing...

Right on!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Summer is a great time for fishing freshwater, especially in the sierras.  Weather is generally wonderful, sunny and warm albeit windy. 

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
If you're into stocked trout upper blue lakes is one of the hotter trout lakes around.  i usually limit there when I go off Kastmaster and rooster tails. 
----Willha

Greenhorn

• Salmon
  • Fish-a-yak-a-fowl-a-holic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
great post! I agree summer time is salty for me +1 Alex answer. If all else fails I bring beer, and go brackish... sturgeon, striper, even rays... Napa/petaluma rivers. PM me if you want more info. My experience has always been we do not leave in a great area (1hr from Sonoma County) for fresh water... although! No that I think of it, there are some good resiovoirs kent lake, nicasio ect.
Fish,hunt,eat sleep REPEAT
15' Hobie outback

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
There will often be some debris built up at the thermocline where the cold, dense, deep water meets the warmer surface water. You'll see a faint line of it on your fish finder.

Do you really think debris buildup is why a thermocline shows up on a fishfinder?  The primary reason a thermocline shows up on a FF is because of a change in the water density that the FF picks up.

-Allen

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

Do you really think debris buildup is why a thermocline shows up on a fishfinder?  The primary reason a thermocline shows up on a FF is because of a change in the water density that the FF picks up.

-Allen

Thank you polepole. It sounded odd to me too, but I didn't know enough to say anything. I'm assuming it just looks like a lil static and not a solid color change?

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

Thank you polepole. It sounded odd to me too, but I didn't know enough to say anything. I'm assuming it just looks like a lil static and not a solid color change?

Well, it kind of looks like debris buildup.   :smt005

It's usually faint, and often times you need to boost the gain to see it.

-Allen

GoneSquatchin

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Thanks folks. Unfortunately I only have an iBobber for use as a fishfinder, and I'm in college full-time, so the budget doesn't call for a high-quality fishfinder.

I've found trends from different forums over the years though, and it looks like 50-60 feet is generally the ticket this time of year, with around 45 generally being the shallowest, and 70 or so being the deepest that hook-ups are commonly achieved. I think I'm gonna buy a scotty lake troller or a cannon mini troller and start trying and erring.

Additionally, I've discovered that rapala has a lure with a lip design that causes it to scatter back and forth, with could potentially reduce the straight trolling doldrums that seem to afflict these steelies.

As for the salt water comments, I know it's good. I want to fish in the salt, but the gear and time needed to do so effectively is not in the cards for me right now.

anything