Kayak Zone > Gearing Up and Rigging Up

Fish storage on kayak

(1/2) > >>

HazardousCliff:
Hey fellow yakkers, how do some of you store your catches?

I have an inflatable that doesn't have hull storage or a hatch so my options are limited. Do you guys use a cooler, bag, or just dangle a stringer off the side for furbags to sniff out? 

Zzz:
Hang the stringer off the side for optimal bleed-out. An insulated bag to keep them out of the sun/seagulls when paddling is on my list though.

eelkram:
A lot of folks put the fish into burlap bags and just keep dipping the bag to keep things cool and wet as needed. 

Hanging fish off the side (uncovered) may be too tempting for a sealion to ignore, although some folks will let a bag dangle in the water.  I don't do that because I don't want furbags to learn associate dangled items with food. 

I also bleed my fish before putting them into the bag, and I'd rather not have a chum bag floating around while I fish (even though that's mainly psychological on my part... since blood is already in the water).

TheKeeneroo:
I have a 5 gal bucket with a styrofoam liner. Before going out, I freeze a small bottle with water and salt (makes it colder), then put it in the bucket with some water once i start catching stuff. I don't like to kayak back to the landing dangling fish; i've found that it's like a water parachute that slows you down (esp with larger fish).

yakyakyak:

--- Quote from: eelkram on March 08, 2018, 11:34:27 AM ---A lot of folks put the fish into burlap bags and just keep dipping the bag to keep things cool and wet as needed. 

Hanging fish off the side (uncovered) may be too tempting for a sealion to ignore, although some folks will let a bag dangle in the water.  I don't do that because I don't want furbags to learn associate dangled items with food. 

I also bleed my fish before putting them into the bag, and I'd rather not have a chum bag floating around while I fish (even though that's mainly psychological on my part... since blood is already in the water).

--- End quote ---

This is what I do.  Once I bleed the fish, I try my best to go as far away as fast as I can from that bleeding area (really for that peace of mind, though that probably doesn't matter much).

For you, I would get a cooler bag.  I think on your case, the concern is to make sure that your inflatable doesn't get pierced by fish.  So on your case, I would put the fish in burlap bag then cooler bag.  A bucket may not be a bad idea either (not to mention cheaper).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version