Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Big Tuna Review  (Read 4850 times)

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
What I experienced today was akin to courting a girl for months and upon meeting her family - oh my goodness; hot for sister!  Big sister that is - and in the Jackson family she's known as the Big Tuna!

As you would expect, the Big Tuna is wider and heavier (87 lbs (minimum carrying weight), 102 lbs (max) - however, true to Jackson form its an easy paddle in the water.  Before I get to that - rewind; lets begin in the parking lot.  Taking the Big Tuna off the truck was no more difficult to loading and unloading the Cuda 14.  The rear of the kayak has 2 handles, the front has 1.  Given the wider hull, it didn't tip to one side or the other.  Slide on, slide off.  Once on the ground we began loading her down with crab gear.

Since this would be a solo paddle - the seat was moved forward to the center; yet, it is still slightly to the rear.  In this position, the seat partially covers the bait/live well.  The well is hinged in the middle and can be opened from either side - so, it was still easily accessible for stowing gear.  I put a sweatshirt in there in case the weather turned and more layering were needed.  If the seat were all the way to the rear, there is no storage area behind the seat other than under the hatch cover.  With the seat moved to the center there is a nice nice size (...and deep) tank well.  Two bouys with rope were stowed here with room to spare.  I use the collapsable ProMar traps and placed them forward on the boat - bait cages were secured just forward of the seat and secured with factory bungees which run the length of the boat.  This is when my blood started pumping with excitement.  Last crab season I was fighting with bouys being tangled in bungee straps and balancing my traps on the front hatch of my previous kayak.  On the Big Tuna, the depth of the tank well and width of the kayak accomodated all gear effortlessly.  It felt as though I was missing soemthing and there was definately room for more.

Loaded and mated up to the Wheeleez (great fit), we pulled the Big Tuna to waters edge and prepared for the launch.  The water was tame.  Low swells, not much chop when we launched.  Still, I couldn't help but take note of a few things to be excited about.  The expansive flat deck was free of clutter - no worries about snagging up when jumping in.  After pulling the boat into the surf - I hopped in without any tipping.  The stability was increadible - expected from a 36" flat hull - but refreshing none the less.  In no time - I in the Big Tuna and Shilo in her Cuda 14 were far from shore.  In the beginning, I spoke to the boats weight - my Cuda is heavy in the water also - but what I've come to learn about Jacksons...despite the weight, they are an easy paddle in the water.  Tracking was looser than in the Cuda; however, it seems reasonable that a boat loaded to half its capacity (575lbs) is going to be higher in the water and looser.  If this were going to be a kayak for all occassions I would opt for a rudder install - but, what I came to learn about the Big Tuna - this is a crabbing machine!  The short paddle to where pots were going to be dropped was easily manageable.

When prepping the pots, it seemed as though I were on a barge.  Large flat deck, stable, easy to turn around and retrieve gear.  The seats in the Jacksons are one of the main attractions for many and in the Big Tuna the results are the same.  Very comfortable, great back support and your hiney is off the deck - no wet butt!  The deck in itself is also to be appreciated.  It has a textured surface and stays dry.  The only water top side was in the beverage and seat indentations.  And the only water that got in the kayak was from water dripping off the crab traps.  The deck is wide and room is abundant.  Combine that with the comfort of the seat and you forget you are on a kayak.  Call it a crabbing machine - call it a party boat - kick back, relax and ride the waves!  Below is a side by side with Shilo's Cuda 14 so you can see the differences in the topside lay out and get an idea of how much room is provided for your paddling pleasure.

Maneuverability and speed were also impressive.  Again, given the boat is at half capacity and sitting higher in the water that is probably to be expected.  While stationary, you can turn the Big Tuna with 3 quick paddles on either side and you will have turned 180 degrees.  Speed, just as quick as the Cuda 14 - albeit, I was racing a girl so take that into account  :smt002  And then there was the beach landing --  I have not mastered this art and conceed that todays water conditions were tame -- but, one would think I were the Captain of the Sea when coming ashore in a Jackson.  Pick your wave, ride it in and you are beached!  As the water receeds, there is no tipping and springing out of the seat is much easier since elevated off the deck.   

Comparisons.  Its easy to read and share the excitement of a new kayak with someone.  However, when it comes down to it - we all want to know how it compares to similar boats.  This is my second tandem, the first being a OK Malibu XL.  The difference is night - and - day!  In other threads I have compared my Cuda 14 to my OK T13.  There's a lot to like about both boats and in several categories I gave the advantage to OK.  However, in the battle of the two-seaters, its a different experience.  Although the Malibu is capable in its own right - the Big Tuna edges it out in every aspect. 

At the end of the day, I had but one regret.  I was missing some gear I've never considered while crabbing before.  An anchor, a pillow, and a blankey.  You can literly take a nap while OTW in a Big Tuna (...pictures another day).

Good night all -

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:07:08 AM by WipEouT »
Kenny

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Great review Wipeout. I'm glad you a loving your new kayak. Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts. It really helps spread the word about the boats.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
The crabbing  machine. Buy a Big Tuna and get a free crab rig. :smt044 :smt044 :smt044.
Great review .

Thanks,
Tim
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Another top notch review!!!! Thanks Kenny  :smt006

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the great review Kenny.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Bravoman

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
My only concern with the Jackson line(and I have a Cuda 14) is that there are no scupper holes in the tank well.....seems like an accident waiting to happen in big water. What do you guys think?

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
My only concern with the Jackson line(and I have a Cuda 14) is that there are no scupper holes in the tank well.....seems like an accident waiting to happen in big water. What do you guys think?

that would be an issue for me, as I keep dunking my stringer in the water then putting in the tankwell.  With no scupper holes, I would end up with a shallow bacterial pool.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I wouldn't mind having a set in the tank well but I think it's designed to drain forward under the seat.the tank well has a pretty decent forward angle to it.

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks to all; it was fun putting it on the water for the first time and I enjoyed sharing my experience.  This is definitely a "must look at" kayak if you're looking to add to your fleet, upgrad or simply are due for a change.

Thanks Headwaters for putting us in the drivers seat with a great deal on your demos.

Regarding the scuppers not being in the tank well on the Cuda 14 -- I know the tank well is slanted so water flows to the scuppers under the seat.  Off the top of my head I seem to remember there is a slight ridge between the two sections and a couple grooves for water to flow through.  I'd have to look later - not positive on that.  As far as scuppers in the rear of the Tuna - I never thought to look but will.

Happy to answer any questions if my review didn't touch on something you are interested in.  Later this evening I plan on talking about the foot rest arrangement depending on seat location.
Kenny

bwodun

didnt realize you were in the tuna yesterday, i would have taken a closer look, but what i saw from the water, it definately looked like it moved along at a good clip, thanks for the review, cameron

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

There is so little volume in the rear tank well compared to most sit on top. Also there is a lot of positive buoyancy which offsets the small amount of water that builds up in the tank well. There will never be enough water in the tank well to displace the amount of buoyancy and make the kayak unstable. Does that make sense? Wipeout is right that is drains out under the seat very well, and is a non issue.  I hope that helps.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

Bravoman

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
 :smt005  Guess if I got off my rear once in awhile and looked under the seat I might have seen that...lol!!! :smt005

Kmilz

• Salmon
  • Miles- WS Tarpon 140
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Gratz on the new yak. The tank well looks awesome.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
that completely makes no scuppers a non issue.  Thanks for clearing that up  :smt001
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
How many kayaks can you curl up and take a nap on   :smt044

Kenny