Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Power inverter ???  (Read 964 times)

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I received a power inverter. my idea is to charge my fish finder battery on camping trips and on the road my question is are they safe to use and can I power other things I'm new to inverters.
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
should be fine.  I've not had a problem with mine.

Heed any warnings that come with the device, especially about overloading.  It'll probably be internally protected against that, but it's still possible to pop the cigarette lighter fuse in your car (many come with battery terminal clamps for running higher loads).

Also, watch out for killing your car's battery. On the road charging will be the way to go when possible.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Oh, the only inherently problematic thing would be plugging in a device that requires a pure sine wave to function properly. Inverters at this level will be outputting stepped waveforms typically.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that needs a pure sine wave that you might want on a fishing trip.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
If you're going to sit and park a while be careful you don't drain your car battery. Maybe get a tester for your car battery.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
+1 on the car running. I once charged a laptop using an inverter while waiting for my wife do a grocery run and it killed my battery fast.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Best way is get a second battery installed and isolate it with a solenoid so it is not connected to the cars main battery when the ignition is off. Use that for the inverter. Like they do in motor homes. Use a deep cycle so it can be drained while parked and once you start the car it reconnects to the cars system via the solenoid and charges. If you partially drain a car battery repeatedly it kills it way faster then you would believe. Car batteries are meant to give a fast pull then recharge right away. If your not electronically inclined most RV shops and some stereo shops might be able to hook up an extra battery and isolation system with the inverter.

Ps: you can jump your own car off the second battery if you leave your lights on DAMHIK!

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Best way is get a second battery installed and isolate it with a solenoid so it is not connected to the cars main battery when the ignition is off. Use that for the inverter. Like they do in motor homes. Use a deep cycle so it can be drained while parked and once you start the car it reconnects to the cars system via the solenoid and charges. If you partially drain a car battery repeatedly it kills it way faster then you would believe. Car batteries are meant to give a fast pull then recharge right away. If your not electronically inclined most RV shops and some stereo shops might be able to hook up an extra battery and isolation system with the inverter.

Ps: you can jump your own car off the second battery if you leave your lights on DAMHIK!

Yup.  Your alternator might not be up for the task.  It probably wasn't designed to charge a deep cycle battery.  Don't be surprised if it fails after a few hundreds or thousands of miles. 

Pay attention to what you are hooking up to that inverter so you don't overload it.  That's pretty much the first thing I did with my first inverter.  It didn't work out very well - I blew the fuse on the cigarette lighter and couldn't blow up the air mattress, which did not impress my date on the camping trip and things did not go according to my grand plan.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I bought an inverter to charge my fish finder battery when I'm on the road, but it doesn't work when I plug it into a cigarette lighter plug in my vehicle.  I'm wondering if the wires which run to the cigarette lighter plug are too thin to handle the amperage which the inverter requires.  I had that problem with my ARB 12 volt freezer when I plugged it into a cigarette lighter plug, and solved the problem by buying a heavy ARB cable which goes directly from my car battery to the freezer.  I'm going to buy a special ARB plug so I can plug the inverter into the ARB cable, and will see if that works.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I bought an inverter to charge my fish finder battery when I'm on the road, but it doesn't work when I plug it into a cigarette lighter plug in my vehicle.  I'm wondering if the wires which run to the cigarette lighter plug are too thin to handle the amperage which the inverter requires.  I had that problem with my ARB 12 volt freezer when I plugged it into a cigarette lighter plug, and solved the problem by buying a heavy ARB cable which goes directly from my car battery to the freezer.  I'm going to buy a special ARB plug so I can plug the inverter into the ARB cable, and will see if that works.
A cigarette lighter pulls a lot of juice to heat up that burner red hot. If they put a cigarette lighter plug on it I would think it would work. Maybe there is some other problem.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I think that's a lot of overkill for charging a fish finder battery.  Most are about 7 amp batteries.  I took power off my cigarette lighter and put spades on the end to connect to my fish finder battery.  The outlet is fused with 10amp fuse, so I know my car's charging system won't be over drawn.  Pulling 7 amps max off a car's 100amp (approx) starter battery won't hurt or drain it enough to worry about. 

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

Most todays car alternator's are typically 35-45 amps if that.  Truck alternators are a different beast. My truck has 160A alternator.  What its size, it'll be more than enough to charge a 7AH battery.  (Just don't let the battery get hot)

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Most todays car alternator's are typically 35-45 amps if that.  Truck alternators are a different beast. My truck has 160A alternator.  What its size, it'll be more than enough to charge a 7AH battery.  (Just don't let the battery get hot)

I was referring to mojo's idea about having a second deep cycle battery to run things when I said about the alternator not being suffient.  It's ample to charge a cell phone or standard 7ah SLA battery etc.  If you wantedthe deep cycle on a solenoid I suppose you could go with a wheelchair battery which is 35ah and would probably be sufficient unless you were running a television for a weekend for the kids while you are out fishing or something.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Thanks guys I guess there's alot to learn. But so far I think I'm safe while driving I have. Anew Toyota 4runner so I'm pretty sure it's a 120 amp alt
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016

I was referring to mojo's idea about having a second deep cycle battery to run things when I said about the alternator not being suffient.  It's ample to charge a cell phone or standard 7ah SLA battery etc.  If you wantedthe deep cycle on a solenoid I suppose you could go with a wheelchair battery which is 35ah and would probably be sufficient unless you were running a television for a weekend for the kids while you are out fishing or something.
And I’ll tell ya... give a man a power outlet in the middle of nowhere and he’ll find more power draining stuff to plug in and use camping. Another DAMHIK

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges