Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:43:10 AM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:35:34 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How do you roll????  (Read 157044 times)

Sattes

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
$700.00 Lincoln Navigator.

I take my cheapskate hat off and tip it in your general direction. Impressive intersection of cheap and not a tin can/rustbucket like my hoopties.

Not at all a rust bucket.  It had 121000 on the odometer.  Poor mechanic work got it to me cheeeap.  Thanks.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Wait........, how do you roll ? ?  In the surf..... landing usually.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Drove a MB GLA SUV as a loaner for a few days past week.  It was a little loud, but very nice drive.  Thinking this could be my next ride.  Spec'd out an AMG model with options to ~50K, ouch!!  Anyone have one? 

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-GLA/bodystyle-SUV

4est

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
03 Ram 3500 286k all mine

americanargile

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Might ditch the cargo box and go with a Yakima Frontloader so I can bring along the bike.

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Haven't got to try it out yet, but I grabbed the Thule xsporter off of Craigslist today! Saddles should be here Wednesday, should be awesome not having 10ft. Of kayak hanging out the bed, if I can get them up on the rack that is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

kkenn

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Haven't got to try it out yet, but I grabbed the Thule xsporter off of Craigslist today! Saddles should be here Wednesday, should be awesome not having 10ft. Of kayak hanging out the bed, if I can get them up on the rack that is!

What saddles did you go with?  I have the xsporters too and have been considering some saddles.
- Kyle K

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile

What saddles did you go with?  I have the xsporters too and have been considering some saddles.

I went with the Thule glide and set. Should be able to put two kayaks up that way, but just ordered one set for now to try. I noticed the reviews on every saddle or accessory had pluses and minuses, the glide and set included. So it can't hurt to try them out, and if I don't like them I'll try something else on the other side.

I think they're $219 on Thule site, but amazon has them for 175 and supposedly they include two straps and bow/stern lines

WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

EG1120

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015

I went with the Thule glide and set. Should be able to put two kayaks up that way, but just ordered one set for now to try. I noticed the reviews on every saddle or accessory had pluses and minuses, the glide and set included. So it can't hurt to try them out, and if I don't like them I'll try something else on the other side.

I think they're $219 on Thule site, but amazon has them for 175 and supposedly they include two straps and bow/stern lines

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have the Glide and Sets, and I've not been happy with them.  Specifically, they are designed to carry the boats right-side-up, whereas the manufacturers recommend that the boats rest on the gunwales, not the bottoms.  To whit, I routinely found my Glide and Sets caused 12" diameter indentations in the hulls of my yaks, not good.  To make matters worse, my "Set" saddles (the sticky ones in the front) routinely collapsed under the strap tensioning load, so the nice boat hugging profile routinely got flattened into pointy bars...not good at all. 

Truth-in-advertising:  My saddles are about 8-years old, so maybe Thule has figured out how to make acceptable saddles since then, but they are still really expensive.  I just added SUP board pads ($40 off Amazon) to my bars and now I strap 'em down upside-down, and this works really well.

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have the Glide and Sets, and I've not been happy with them.  Specifically, they are designed to carry the boats right-side-up, whereas the manufacturers recommend that the boats rest on the gunwales, not the bottoms.  To whit, I routinely found my Glide and Sets caused 12" diameter indentations in the hulls of my yaks, not good.  To make matters worse, my "Set" saddles (the sticky ones in the front) routinely collapsed under the strap tensioning load, so the nice boat hugging profile routinely got flattened into pointy bars...not good at all. 

Truth-in-advertising:  My saddles are about 8-years old, so maybe Thule has figured out how to make acceptable saddles since then, but they are still really expensive.  I just added SUP board pads ($40 off Amazon) to my bars and now I strap 'em down upside-down, and this works really well.

Yea I read some similar reviews, and also read about a bunch of people that loved them. So I'll try them out, and if they don't work I have pads to lay the boats upside down, I'd just prefer not to. I'm hoping that since my boats don't sit on the truck except to/from the water I can avoid the indentations, but it's all trial and error! Thanks for the feedback!

WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Finally had a chance to try out the saddles with my AI hull. There's some truth to all of the reviews, the rear contact area is small enough to deform the hull, but only while the weight is on them, as soon as I unload they go away. Super easy to get the AI up and strapped down, and far more secure than my bed extender.

Also added some ski racks today to hold my rods and reels to keep them from banging around in the bed, and from tangling with each other. I love this because I can flip them upside down and not lose any kayak space up top when I want to carry more.

All in all I'm happy with it, certainly better than in the bed.

WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

SLBuilder

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Saw this and thought we could all go in one truck.  Modify the trailer for the 10 kayaks I would carry. :smt003

butlerfishing

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
My 2017 PA 14 in my 08 Ram 1500 with the use of the Boonedox Truck Bed Extender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
<=>

anything