Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is fluorocarbon leader useful for surf fishing?  (Read 1882 times)

ryanrs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I've heard rockfish dgaf about visible lines. What about surf perch? Stripers and halibut? Are there any common surf fishing situations where it's important to have an invisible leader, and not just plain mono?

I am philosophically opposed to paying $1/yard for fancy fishing line, but would like to know other posters' experiences.

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Most of the fish we target around here, I usually go with mono and it works out fine.  The only time I break out the fluoro is when I target yellowtail and tuna down south. 

For halibut, it looks like they don't fully commit sometimes and pick around the bait, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to use fluoro in those situations.  For the most part, save your money and use mono!   :smt005
If you ain't first, you're last.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Haven't fished for halibut myself so I can't attest to that, but I regularly fish for surfperch and stripers with mono leaders and have never had any perceived issues of fish being leader shy. Even under calm conditions, the surf is a pretty chaotic area with decreased visibility due to the wave action already. Maybe others can chime in, but it seems like overkill in my experience.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Agree with SOTW. Save your flouro for palegics.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

ryanrs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
P.S. as someone new to fishing, but with some knowledge of sailing and climbing knots, you fishermen sure pick some hellish materials for your lines. Monofilament, spectra braid, fluorocarbon, and steel wire? Knot masochism is the only explanation.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i only use fluoro in lakes here, usually for trout up at almanor and those places.  the water is super clear and the fish can be really picky. 

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Agree. Save ur flouro. Mono will do just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanrs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
And while we're at it, can I use heavy mono for leopard sharks, too? I see a few people recommending steel leaders, but leopards don't seem particularly toothy to me (though I haven't stuck a finger in one's mouth yet). I'm thinking steel would only be needed for something like a sevengill.

SeaScum

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I've used fluoro and mono for surf fishing. I've noticed precisely zero difference, even in super clear water. As others have mentioned, I think there is just too much water moving around in the surf for fish to be line shy. That being said - I think fishing can be a mental thing in some aspects, and if you need to feel more confident that your gear is set up in the most effective way possible, I think it's totally worth it. For example - I use a long leader, at least 6-7ft, when surf casting. I deal with line twists, occasional tangles, and bites may be harder to detect because of it, but I seem to get more bites with the long leader. My thought is that the fish aren't so spooked by the sinker dragging through the sand by the time the lure is in front of them. Total mental thing? Probably. Have I seen guys catch tons of fish using 2-3ft leaders? Yes,  many times. But the long leader just feels better for me! Go with your gut.

Oh, and if you are going to use fluoro, don't use the blue label Seaguar. That stuff was horrible for me.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Leopards wont saw it off clean but they can knick the line creating a real weak spot that may break under pressure.  They also have a tendency to do the death spin when fighting, like rubbing your line with sand paper.  Can probably get away with 60lb but i like 100lb mono.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
And while we're at it, can I use heavy mono for leopard sharks, too? I see a few people recommending steel leaders, but leopards don't seem particularly toothy to me (though I haven't stuck a finger in one's mouth yet). I'm thinking steel would only be needed for something like a sevengill.

Biggest shark I ever caught was a 67" seven gill, caught while targeting leopards in Tomales bay, that why I use steel,

A note for those who don't know seven gill sharks basically have a mouthful of razor blades, watch you fingers.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
A friend of mine uses small wire spreaders for his surf perch rigs.  He attaches the hooks directly to the wire.  Catches just as many fish as anyone else on the beach.

I like stiff, heavy mono as leader material for leopards.  Typically 40-60 pound test.  I've never had a bite-off with these leaders on leopards, but have had large spiny dogfish saw through them.
aMayesing Bros.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
No floro for Perch, Striper or Halibut.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Agree- I use mono. The only time I use fluoro is for salmon. But we all know my success rate with that as well :smt044

ryanrs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Can probably get away with 60lb but i like 100lb mono [for leopards].

I have KastKing mono leader in 50, 100, and 150#. The 50 feels relatively thin and flimsy, but easy to tie. The 100 has some heft but I can still tie (some) knots in it. I haven't tried working with the 150 yet, but I think it crosses over into pain-in-the-ass territory. I think the 150 might call for crimps instead of knots, so why not just make a steel wire leader.

I'll make my leopard rigs with the 100# mono.