Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark attack in Capitola  (Read 24394 times)

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'm curious to know how many of these yaks had fish finders on them and what brand and/or frequency they were set to.  These are more relevant questions.  A sharks primary senses are smell and electromagnetic sensors called ampullae of Lorenzini (as many of you know).
I've always wondered the same thing.  Turn on a FF with the transducer in your hand and you can feel the pinging.  According to some info I Googled up, certain ping rates can repel fish and some sharks, but there also a chance that other ping rates/frequencies can mimic live fish and have the opposite effect.  That may be something for shark researchers to look into.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:29:01 PM by ChuckE »
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

3wayswivel

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
 I took the Family out on a Six-pak for the day Saturday out of Santa Cruz. On the way back in, I'm telling my Daughters Boyfriend about bringing the Kayaks over for some Salt-Water fun (He's only been on Local Lakes) When we got Chaged and met the rest of the Group on Capitola Beach He saw these signs and wanted to know if I really Liked him or not! Glad to hear Mel is OK!!!

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
So glad you are OK Mel. Sorry to hear about your boat.

-FF
-FF

ab10

• Salmon
  • View Profile www.abachar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm curious to know how many of these yaks had fish finders on them and what brand and/or frequency they were set to.  These are more relevant questions.  A sharks primary senses are smell and electromagnetic sensors called ampullae of Lorenzini (as many of you know).

I've always wondered the same thing.  Turn on a FF with the transducer in your hand and you can feel the pinging.  According to some info I Googled up, certain ping rates can repel fish and some sharks, but there also a chance that other ping rates/frequencies can mimic live fish and have the opposite effect.  That may be something for shark researchers to look into.

One year in spearfishing in Baja, I tied an electric marlin teaser to the bottom of the flasher line I was using to get wahoo to come in.  The thing was supposed to sound like macs feeding and it made little pinging sounds when I held it up to my ear.  My buddy who lent it to me (a dfg biologist) said that the marlin fishermen love them, but apparently it's really hard to keep the sharks away.  Needless to say, I never saw a shark but I had a marlin come up below me and whack it with it's bill.  (so cool!)

I think it's a little of all of the above.  More sharks, more people, more yaks that feel, sound and smell like feeding fish.

Chuck - I'll email you the shark sense article I illustrated for Scientific American.  Very insightful.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:47:36 AM by ab10 »

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Just for the record, back in 2009 when I got scoped I was not using a fishfinder, and did not have any fish aboard.
Aaron & Ben both had retained fish and had FF's deployed.

In my instance i think it was more about being farthest from the pack. We were still pretty close (within 100ft) , which is maybe why it gave me a once over rather than a hit.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Regarding transducers .... my personal feeling is that they are on the wrong frequency or pattern.  If this were not the case, why do we not see regular shark attacks to fishfinder equipped boats (or at the very least a curious shark).  Not backed by anything more than observation .... IMHO

JT

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I just found a recent shark shield study... not very encouraging.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-18/shark-shields-tested-attack/4076368

sharky

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile monkeyfacenews
  • Date Registered: May 2007
What I get from that article is dont hang a fat tuna (or wsb for that matter) from the side of your boat and the ss should work. Notice how it WAS effective on the gws that were "silhouette hunting" in SA.
The sharks that were defeating it (somewhat) were trained to feed on those tuna. Not good test subjects imo.
I dont disable my airbags or drive without a seat belt even though they aren't guaranteed to save my life in an accidernt.

Angler

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
First and foremost I am relieved everyone is OK.

After reading this thread I needed some perspective.  I am a rookie and I have never been on the ocean.  I found the following to be interesting.

From Wikipedia
Since 1580 (yes 1580) there have been 1085 confirmed unprovoked shark attacks in the US - with 44 fatalities.

From US dept of labor
Deaths by Cattle from 2003-2007 - 108

I'm going fishing. :smt001
Take some, but save some for later.
1st Place Yakhoppers 2013 Delta Kayak Maddness (Striper Division)
Hobie Outback
WS Tarpon 120