Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie rectangular hatch came without gasket....  (Read 1852 times)

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
My wife got me a Hobie rectangular hatch for Xmas from Austin kayak and it didn't come with the gasket. Checked their website and they sell it separately. :smt013 I wouldn't be so upset if that was clearly stated on the product listing so the regular non angler would know before purchasing. I feel like my wife was deceived in a way.

I've written an email to their customer service so hopefully they will make this right. If they don't, I don't want to give them my business anymore, which sucks because I've always gotten everything I wanted in a fast manner with zero problems until yesterday.

Anyways, I just wanted to rant a little bit on this as I'm pretty missed about it.

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
If it doesnt say ‘hobie rectangular hatch kit’ then its only the hatch. There are other package too like hatch kit and liner. Or hatch kit and tackle... the recatangular hatch is $101. The kit is $111 i think if my memory serves right [emoji848]

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
If it doesnt say ‘hobie rectangular hatch kit’ then its only the hatch. There are other package too like hatch kit and liner. Or hatch kit and tackle... the recatangular hatch is $101. The kit is $111 i think if my memory serves right [emoji848]

I understand that. Just wish that it would clearly state that other items are needed to complete the kit. Especially for people who may not be anglers or kayakers. My wife (neither) just got home and when I told her she mentioned that it said only hardware not included were the screws, which she knew I'd like to buy my own anyways. Checked the site and she's right, it doesn't even mention the gasket in the listing. I can't see any reason not to clearly state that it's an incomplete package besides trying to squeeze $10 out of the customers.

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Another reason to purchase Hobie accessories from you local Hobie dealer. 

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I don't think it's Austin kayaks fault. You can see all the comments about not having the hardware + on their what other people bought, it has the gasket. Also in the product description it says no hardware included. If anything this is a replacement part for the pro angler/special edition outback. What happens if someone is only looking to replace the hatch without the gasket ? They would be stuck paying for a gasket they do not need.

Search some threads on here and some people bought it elsewhere and it's the same, no gasket.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=71348.msg816947#msg816947

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
This may be a bad question,
But,
Who would replace a hatch and not put a new gasket?
Especially for just a few dollars more after spending $100 on the hatch.
I don't see any reason to offer a hatch without a gasket, should be included.

Hobie = Greed.

;0(
Hobie Outback (dune)

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Love Hobie kayaks, hate Hobie

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Love Hobie kayaks, hate Hobie
Have to agree.
I have a list of complaints,
But, 
On just the boat ...... Thumbs up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hobie Outback (dune)

Tinker

I tend to agree that the Austin Kayak listing would confuse anyone who's not familiar with kayaks - and especially not familiar with Hobie - and I think that saying it does not include hardware usually means the installation nuts and bolts aren't included, not something as fundamentally necessary as a gasket.  I know to look closely at what I'll receive but not everyone does.

I think if I could get them to waive the shipping charges for a gasket, I'd be happy and call it done.

Even if it blew up a little, it was still a great gift for Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:07:36 AM by Tinker »

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I tend to agree that the Austin Kayak listing would confuse anyone who's not familiar with kayaks - and especially not familiar with Hobie - and I think that saying it does not include hardware usually means the installation nuts and bolts aren't included, not something as fundamentally necessary as a gasket.  I know to look closely at what I'll receive but not everyone does.

I think if I could get them to waive the shipping charges for a gasket, I'd be happy and call it done.

Even if it blew up a little, it was still a great gift for Christmas.

That's what I'm hoping for, just have them waive the shipping.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Why not use, say, silicone rubber caulk in place of the gasket? It's not like you'll be removing the hatch once installed.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
oh i thought this was like a hatch sealing gasket - looks like its an installation gasket.  so you wouldn't need one for installation if you put down a bead of adhesive.  I could understand why it's not necessarily included in the kit then, since it wouldn't be required.

seems like you can find a way to buy the gasket locally if you can't get it from ACK with free shipping or whatever.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I just recieved an email from Helen, their customer service rep and they are sending me a gasket free of charge and will be updating the listing to be more clear to future customers.

I'm blown away by the customer service and the offer I received. I never expected them to just give me the product free of charge. I'll definitely keep spending my money with them.

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I’m not defending Hobie but they do what many other companies do:  they bone the crap out of you on spare parts.  I guess when it comes to spare parts there is little need for competitive pricing - you’re kind of stuck if you own a Hobie and you need something that an after market vendor can’t supply.  I think all mfg’s particularly those with strong brands like Hobie price their parts this way.  I’m just glad we don’t have to pay for a kayak what it would cost it to build it from the spare parts catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I just recieved an email from Helen, their customer service rep and they are sending me a gasket free of charge and will be updating the listing to be more clear to future customers.

I'm blown away by the customer service and the offer I received. I never expected them to just give me the product free of charge. I'll definitely keep spending my money with them.
Glad to hear that.  I’ve always positive experiences with Austin Kayak. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything