Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Chillin' at New Melones Trout Derby - Dec 08  (Read 4734 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Congrats to Pat and Scott :groupwave And especially to Brian G. for a well-put-together tournament. I hope to make it next time! Janice (my sugar mama) Thanks for the report and pics :smt023

Marmite

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
My Great Missed-Adventure:

Just so I don't go on record as a complete no show after signing on to join.

I'd planned on just driving up to Healdsburg, and when the steelhead clinic postponed, I switched gears on short notice to Melones because I really wanted to try a new venue.  I didn't have a day off to prepare my new camper for the trip, but after the fun my wife and I had with a rental camper at Mendo III, I was excited to take my wife up to break in the camper.  So I rushed to get the camper ready and loaded Friday AM.  It was getting late and as mid day approached I quickly--too quickly--went through my usual check list of fishing and kayaking gear and we were off.

Arrived at sundown and we set up the canopy, turned on the overhead lights only to find the power to the lights failed after a few minutes.  Tried everything but couldn't find the cause.  Fortunately, I had a portable generator, so I did have light, but then I found there was no gas running to the stove or heater.  So no heat either, even though the thermostat and blower were running.  So it was a bit cold for us that night.  I think even Bentley, my Havanese dog, got pretty cold, though we had him under covers.

Still, got up at four, determined to go fishing, sans warm coffe or a morning snack.  Certainly not like Mendo where we got the camper so warm I litterally had to get out fishing to cool down. Got to the launch site and met up with Scott, Chuck, Pat, Brian and Janice.  Soon had my kayak ready to go...and then realized that in the mad rush, one thing got overlooked--my paddle!

That just did me in.  I knew my wife didn't want another night in the cold and so I decided to cut my losses and leave early enough to get home and try and get the camper serviced.  This morning, did find a faulty connector as the cause for no overhead lights.  But no solution yet for the lack of gas, will have to wait till I can get it serviced.

So I'm just sorry I missed out on an opportunity to fish with some fellow NCKAs and explore a new lake. I was glad to meed some new faces and hope to try fishing with you again soon.

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Man... it looked really cold out there... even by my standards. I've never fished Melones but always wanted to. I'm thinking about maybe a spring or summer thing when I can take the boys out. It's just too darn cold for my Savages in Training right now. Good job Scott... you had a great year derby-wise. You picked up some cash to go along with some new plastic. Right on!!! Looks like it was a pretty nice derby.

Freddie

Grumpy

• Doug
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Grumpy, of peanut cluster fame, is actually Doug.  Thanks for a great outing, great company and very welcome hot grub to end the day.  I hope to see you all, on the water, soon.

Thanks again,

Doug
Doug

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Damn I was hoping to make this my first NCKA event but lost track of time and didn't realize it was happening until I hopped online yesterday. Sounded like fun. Congrats to the winner.

FF
-FF

Grizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Oops. :smt053  Sorry Doug, not ALan.   

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Looked nice up there; cold but do-able. Glad to see all of you had a good time. The trout look like fresh stockers which is good. No big ones-bummer :smt009

Once when the lake went down to normal pool-1992, the water stayed fairly warm and the bass and crappie stayed around till Feb. Not much on the trout action cuz they went up river into the canyon. The lake was so low the old Parrots Ferry Bridge was showing. It now is 400 feet underwater,again.

I enjoy fishing up there and I wish I could have been there, :smt010
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
You are all hardcore!!!

Way to stick it out and make it happen.

Sorry I couldn't make it...  just had too many projects going on at once to take off for the weekend.

Thanks for the report.

Grizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Marmite,

It was good to meet you.  Sorry about the paddle.  Did you have any luck off the bank?

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Looks like a lot of fun guys and gals! I am so bummed about missing this one. I'll probably regret it for a while. But I'm also stoked that it went so well. Thanks for putting it together, Brian. And Thanks to all the participants. Congrats to GB2 and PatR!
Beautiful pics too! Keep em coming!
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

nice report and pics, special thanks to GB2 for such detail. when I read it, I was just thinking, boy he pulls out all the stops, jigs, casts, trolls, fishes hard and long. a well deserved win and great inspiration.

John

john m. airey

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
Thanks everyone!  :smt006 Really great fishing with you'all  this year. So many new friends and memories. Since I had more trout than I usually bring home, I invited some friends over and cooked the trout with a lemon caper butter sauce (see recipe section). It was quite good and not too hard.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I thought I was hardcore?!...this is of "TITANIUM" levels here! looks like a warm-up for an Alaskan Adventure trip.  :smt009

You ALL deserve a "SAVAGE AWARD" for your efforts and courage and GRATS' to the finishers of the "First Annual NCKA Trout Derby".... at least them planters were of a heathy size!

.....I like the way the story and pics go from the start to the END!.....aFISHonaDISH!

Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Adam,

We have an Alaskan trip schedule for 09. Interested?
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Adam,

We have an Alaskan trip schedule for 09. Interested?
yaking?   maybe by then I'll be ready for such a BIG ADVENTURE, send me a lil info Bro'...and thanks!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

anything