Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY-2011????  (Read 6421 times)

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Of course we should look at max score. That is what everybody's fishing for isn't it?

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Of course we should look at max score. That is what everybody's fishing for isn't it?

Maybe in your tournament ...

Everyone is fishing for max TOTAL score.  Look at the big picture.

The median score for sturgeon is currently higher than everything except steelhead and WSB.

-Allen

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I can see now that any further attempts on my part to explain my pov are a waste of time. You didn't have to suggest I start my own tourney. After all you were the one that stated you would listen to input. So as it stands every species except sturgeon will be able to score over 200. It's that simple. Thanks for seeing my pov Ricci. Jim

polepole

• Administrator
Jim, you think sturgeon are undervalued because the max score can't be 200.  I think sturgeon are overvalued because their median score is higher than most other species' median scores.  We can't win with this one because there is a slot limit.  Can't you be happy knowing that if you catch one that you can enter, that the score will likely be higher than if you caught a typical fish of another species?  Yes, they have a higher point value than other species, just not a higher max point value.

-Allen

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Jim, you dont need a sturgeon anymore so its a moot point. Enjoy life. Fish for specie that are fun to fish for. Fishing for sturgeon offers some glory if you hook-up, but hey, chances are you'll just freeze your sac for nuttin'. :smt006 I wasnt going to do AOTY in 2011, but now? I am going to win without a sturgeon or a crappie. :smt003 Sturgeon was just something to do while I waited for hali's and rock.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Enjoy life. Fish for specie that are fun to fish for.
Amen Brutha Davis!   :smt109

polepole

• Administrator
I can see now that any further attempts on my part to explain my pov are a waste of time. You didn't have to suggest I start my own tourney. After all you were the one that stated you would listen to input. So as it stands every species except sturgeon will be able to score over 200. It's that simple. Thanks for seeing my pov Ricci. Jim

BTW Jim, I wasn't  insinuating that you start your own tourney.  I was making a point that your views on the current tourney are your own.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of support for sturgeon being re-valued even though you think you're speaking for everyone.  I listened to your input and countered with what I believe to be relevant facts.

Allen, you are correct in that there is no 'need' per se but I do believe there may be a desire among many if not all the competitors to allow more points for sturgeon. It's a shame that this year's largest fish is worth so little. I hope that wrong will soon be made right. Jim

I don't know how you can speak to the "desire among many if not all the competitors" when I see it as your own POV, nothing more.  And again, the largest fish is NOT "worth so little".  On average it is worth quite a bit.  It hardly seems like a "wrong" to me.

-Allen

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Why are sturgeon 3.5 on NWKA and 3 on NCKA? It seems that the same people are setting the scoring charts for both sites. Whats up with that? Curious here. Thanks.

polepole

• Administrator
Why are sturgeon 3.5 on NWKA and 3 on NCKA? It seems that the same people are setting the scoring charts for both sites. Whats up with that? Curious here. Thanks.

The rules up in the NW are to measure fork length, because that's how the size limits are determined.  3.5 makes up for the difference.

-Allen

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Ah, thats right! Now I do remember seeing one being measured that way. Thanks Allen. Eveything is good. Mo matter what the scores are its still a level playing field. As far as scoring goes anyway. :smt002 Fish-on! Now how can I beat Allen with one day left? Sturgeon? Crappie? Striper? Its frickin cold out there. :smt006

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I see no point in belaboring that my opinions are my own other than a crude attempt to shut me up.
 My statement that every competitor is fishing for the maximum score is true & irrefutable.

I see support for doing the right thing and you don't. The difference is I have been talking with every single angler I ran into all year long regarding this subject and every single one of them agreed with me on this subject. If you doubt the integrity of that statement then you are mistaken.

I speak to the desire of the competitors to do the right thing if they had a voice which apparently they don't.

It sounds like there will be even more points given to crappie, perch, and flounder in an attempt to 'raise their median value' and possibly less for sturgeon, wsb, and steelhead to lower their median value. Have you been flooded with support to do all that? I guess this may be where someone will chime in and tell me to not participate if I don't like fishing for crappie & perch. To that I say..... :smt006

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
We can't win with this one because there is a slot limit. We could if the value were raised to 3.6 points. Can't you be happy knowing that if you catch one that you can enter, that the score will likely be higher than if you caught a typical fish of another species? 46" sturgeon = 138 points,  12" crappie = 144 points, 12" perch = 144 points, 13" greenling = 143 points. I could go on & on but just about any 'typical' fish will beat a sturgeon. That is clear. But your mind is already made up so I'm done.

-Allen

I tried to do the right thing and I failed.

Dear Mr.Sturgeon Fisherman I'm sorry I let you down.  :smt010

The 'Crappie People', who ever they are, Win Again!  :smt011

925angler

• East Bay Angler
  • Sand Dab
  • Always looking to fish
  • View Profile Fishing Gear and Anglers Parties
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
All,
I know I am new, but in looking at the average size of the fish, the amount you can take in one outing I can see the point of Saltydog, but I can also see the point of PolePole.  Considering the DFG rules for white sturgeon being 46 inches total length or greater than 66 inches, and the One fish per day. Three fish per year statewide, compared to the other average size of the other fish and take, am I missing something, is it really that big of a deal?  If you caught your limit of Sturgeon for the outing and at the 66in and a 3 point value, then you are at 198 points.  The average size of the sturgeon is far greater than any of the fish on the list, but it is my understanding that this is not a species tournament, but that of an angler.  I for one, know that I will not go after sturgeon, out of choice, but will have to out catch those that do to make points, even with higher point values, in that trout, and bass, are not going to be even near. It is more of the anglers choice of catch. If you land the sturgy, then you will most likely not call it a day and will be fishing the other species on the list, of which you will have all the same point values. I for one could care less if the Sturgy we upped to 3.5 or 4 points. In looking back at the top 3 fish for each species in the past AOTY, the point score for the size was pretty much equal to the other fish and I don't think a 33 or 66 point difference over the year is going to make a difference, even if you max out at 3 total for the year, that being said is it harder to catch a sturgeon than other fish?  I would say yes, in that in the past 20 years I have not landed one, but have not tried either. Guess it depends on how many times you go out after them.

Just a newbie opinion, so be kind :fish4

James Ketner
925-819-2431
Asend FS12T

Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

anything