Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:28:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:14:05 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rod Float. Too many leashes on deck  (Read 3208 times)

ChuckMc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Could someone help me out with an idea for a Rod Float. I can do some handi work but are there some for sale out there?

hallsworth

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Bass pro has some that I've seen they look like little pool noodles. You can probably use some pipe insulation.
" beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Bass Pro Shop has 3 rod floaters for $10: http://www.basspro.com/Blakemore-Rod-Floaters/product/16517/41364?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=16517&cm_ite=productname_link

Personally I use self sticking pipe insulation. I just trim the insulation on one side (keep the other side with the adhesive intact) with a knife so that it wraps around the rod without overlap.

Which ever method you choose, make sure you test it with a jig/sinker in the shallows before you take it into deep water.

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I bought mine from BassPro and like them but they were fairly expensive at $10/pack with only 3 in a pack.

Was in my local Ace Hardware last weekend and passed the pipe insulation.  I must have stood and looked at it for a good 10 minutes wondering how I might be able to get it to work.  The biggest issue I see is that the diameter on the inside of the insulation is far greater than the diameter of any of my rods.  That said, I think a couple people from the boards have fashioned something.

ChuckMc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Thanks all. The insulation material looks just fine. I used it once to cover up some metal "u"s I have on my fence where I mount my Yak on the fence. Thanks again for the responses

BillS

• Salmon
  • View Profile Satur8ed
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I used a pool noodle.. cut it to size so it fits between the rod handle and the first guide.  Slit the noodle down one side lengthwise with an exacto knife and then fit it on the pole to see how much play there was.   Then I trimmed one side of the noodle down until it fit over the section of pole snugly and used 4 wire ties to hold it on.    Works very well so far.   The float is only about a foot long and Ive tested it with an ugly stik and penn GTI 320 reel.. floats right on top of the water.

Only issue is sometimes the line gets snagged on the end of the noodle.. easy to flick it off but a bit of a pita.  I saw the rod float someone posted had beveled edges and that might fix the snag issue..

This is a setup Ive seen a few other ncka'ers use as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:17:45 PM by BillS »

barefoot1

• Sea Lion
  • The world needs more fruitcakes.--J. Buffet
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Chuck whatever you do test it for casting issues and see if it floats your equipment with terminal tackle weight considered.  ----Jeff
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain

slowriprun

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Just a thought, not a proven method: I'm looking at the karate sparing gear. It looks like it would work and it's really cheap at thrift stores

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
A real easy way to wrap anything you want to stay is use the double sided velcro tape. Just cut off what you need and wrap it. Stays put til you unpeel it. Also impervious to salt water effects. I use it for many aplications on my yak.