Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Camera Mount  (Read 5487 times)

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Since I've started kayaking, I've enjoyed taking videos - especially on my trip to Bodega Bay a few weekends ago when I was able capture some video of the seals.  But to do that I had to balance my cell phone in my cupholder and half the shot was the front of the boat.  So, I began searching for a camera mount - saw the Panfish versions and a few others.  Didn't really like what I saw so I made my own.

Parts:

- Scotty Cupholder
- Scotty Mini Rod Holder Extender
- iStabalizer Cell Phone Tripod Mount
- (1) 1/4" - 20 x 3/4" bolt
- (2) lock washers

The only work that goes into this - drill a 1/4" hole and screw a 1/4" bolt through the Scotty mount:

The iStabalizer.  This metal part at the top self adjusts to the height of your phone or camera.  Its spring loaded and it clamps my phone and camera tight enough that I can shake it up and down and it does not come out.  There are videos on YouTube which show a demonstration:

The Scotty Mini Rod Holder Extender:

Screw the iStabalizer to the Scotty mount and insert into the Scotty Mini Rod Holder:

Insert the camera.  Note: This is not a waterproof camera; just demonstrating the end product.  This will be mounted on the mod pod of my T13:

Kenny

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Looks good, but can you swivel it around to different angles like down to your left in the water where you're playing the fish, or up in your face...etc.?  You need the ability to get any angle, up down or sideways.  You're on the right track.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Most cameras have a 0.25", 20 threads per inch tripod mount on the bottom. You can thread that directly onto your Scotty mount.

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks good, but can you swivel it around to different angles like down to your left in the water where you're playing the fish, or up in your face...etc.?  You need the ability to get any angle, up down or sideways.  You're on the right track.   :smt001

Not really; I could grab the base and turn it in the mouning hole, but, that's not an ideal solution.  I didn't leave the swivel out of the equation though - just have to find the right part.  Needs to be about 1" x 1" - if anyone has any leads or ideas where I could find one, please let me know.
Kenny

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Most cameras have a 0.25", 20 threads per inch tripod mount on the bottom. You can thread that directly onto your Scotty mount.

Correct.  I wanted more flexiblity though and at first I wasn't sold on the iStabalizer but figured I would give it a shot after seeing YouTube videos of how firmly it holds whatever device you have in there.  I also like taking videos with the iPhone and posting straight to FaceBook since that's easiest.  So the benefit of the iStabalizer for me; it got my phone out of the cupholder, created a more stable platform, elevated the phone/camera so I'll get more view of what I want folks to see vs. the front of the boat and I can pop it (phone or camera) in and out with ease.

That said, I was a bit surprised when I began this venture.  After searching may camera mount options, I didn't see any that incorporated my "wish list" of features.  There was nothing for an iPhone - which is what drove this design.  That said, there are other features I would like (swivel) but it incorporates what was most important to me.  If anyone every decides to build there own - check out YouTube - its pretty entertaining to see what garage tinkerers are creating  :smt003

And again; having a waterproof camera and/or a waterproof covering for your phone is a must.
Kenny

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Nice I'm working on a mount and I used part of a gorilla pod that was warranted the quick disconnect is great
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for sharing!  Hopefully others will post what they've come up with.  Is that connected to PVC?  How is it connecting to the boat?

Everybody - post what you got even if its not a DIY'er.
Kenny

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Great idea with the Gorilla Pod part, Mike.  I've considered salvaging the flexible part of a "snake light" for in between the mount and the boat connection...

The front hatch on my X-Factor is the "Gator Hatch", which has a prominently tall back half so it allows for my tripod to extend toward me at the perfect height once I've strapped it under the front bungies.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Mounted on the boat.  Used the camera to model, but actually used my iPhone on the water.  Got some nice video and with the phone elevated, the boat isn't taking up half the video - mission accomplished!

Kenny

AnglingWes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
1/2" PVC fits perfectly in a standard Scotty base.  I installed a flush base and used PVC with an end cap to mount my GoPro.  I used a 1/4-20 bolt in the cap that threads into the GoPro tripod adapter.