Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: This is the Time: Humboldt Bay Salmon - 7/16 + 7/17  (Read 3178 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Guys - this is getting serious.  Word has BIG kings in to 80' of water right outside Humboldt Bay, and they're chompin. 

.SAT...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 5 KT...BECOMING W 5 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 4 TO 5 FT AT 9 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG.  .SAT NIGHT...NW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 5 FT. PATCHY FOG.  .SUN...N WIND 5 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL 3 TO 5 FT. PATCHY FOG.

Today through Sunday the conditions are looking potentially epic.  If there was ever a time that I would recommend driving however far you have to, this is it.  20-40 pulls on a DeepSix is getting it done, and 80' is a mile or less from the Jaws.  Minus tide and flat water just after daylight means the incoming tide brings you back into the bay - it's a 6 hour, morning fishing window with minimal winds and low swell forecast. 

I see this is as one of the best chances to catch a big king from your yak.  I'll be trying to hit it tomorrow morning and maybe Sunday.  Send a PM if you're into meeting up, and go ahead on it yourself if you can - I want to see some yak-kings caught!

:smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Really wish I can join you Eric, but got no one cover me at work!  Good lucks out there and I can't wait to see your video with a BIG King as your superstar.  :smt007
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Good , Bad , or otherwise, I'm looking forward to some video reporting of your efforts,,,,,,and truly hope that you get rewarded with a PB yak king...

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
AK, I'll be over for a family weekend...despite my begging/pleading the wife has told me there is no way in hell I'm getting off the land.  :smt011

We'll be stomping around Eureka Saturday, then heading up to T-dad on Sunday to play on the beach.  Good luck amigo!
-ben

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: beenfishin
despite my begging/pleading the wife has told me there is no way in hell I'm getting off the land.  :smt011

Ben - ouch!  Honestly, I probably need that kind of discipline in my life!   :smt005

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys.  Catch one or not, I'm going to try to hang up the paddle for a while after this weekend.  I'm getting in too deep!  I gifted some halibut to a buddy at the cleaning table the other day and he gifted me a nice bag of the pink.  We ate super tasty salmon for din the night before last and I found myself thinking, "I like pursuing and catching salmon even more than eating it!"  (I LOVE eating it...)

When obsession comes into clarity it's kinda scary... 

Last note:  if not for Nor Cal Kayak Anglers I don't think I'd be doing what I'm doing.  Thank you guys for providing inspiration and support.  If I come back in with a king you'll see me bow down and worship it on the beach when I land, and it will be dedicated to the energy here.

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
I'll be there w/ the camera ready!  I just checked out HTC, salmon limits by 8:30 this morning, Crescent city and SC boats getting albacore...man sometimes I hate living in the valley!

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: beenfishin
I'll be there w/ the camera ready!  I just checked out HTC, salmon limits by 8:30 this morning, Crescent city and SC boats getting albacore...man sometimes I hate living in the valley!

No kidding, Ben - HTC / Humboldt Tuna Club might as well be called Humboldt TORTURE Club!   :smt044

It'll be all I can do to avoid running out for a try this afternoon...

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I have been waiting to get into the ocean and looks like the conditions may be right. Went last night to Lake Britton and the whole time was dreaming of the ocean. Maybe able to make it over on Sunday. I am teaching a class Friday night and all day Saturday. Could blast over Sat. night and fish Sunday. What would I need to bring in terms of tackle? Do you mind company? Name your case of beer. :smt003
David  :smt001
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: DrDave 702
I have been waiting to get into the ocean and looks like the conditions may be right. Went last night to Lake Britton and the whole time was dreaming of the ocean. Maybe able to make it over on Sunday. I am teaching a class Friday night and all day Saturday. Could blast over Sat. night and fish Sunday. What would I need to bring in terms of tackle? Do you mind company? Name your case of beer. :smt003
David  :smt001

David - check your PM.  I may be able to go Sunday, but can't guarantee it.  At this point I'm looking at launching at 6AM tomorrow from the South Jetty parking lot, and I'll be back in by around 11AM.

Think Pink!   :smt007

Oh, and view this for tackle: 

dreamcatcher

• Salmon
  • fish catch eat repeat
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
That sounds like too much fun  :smt004 loved the video too ! Good luck!  I rode my bike up hiway 1 from Jade Cove and everything was FAC, got me to thinking again. Go get em !
Respond to life as if it is the first day of your life and the last day of your life.

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
Eric, sweet how-to video ya made to share for all!!  :thumleft: I have not tried using a double hook for salmon yet, but I may have to give that a shot. Thanks again for sharing!