Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: clip in pedals for mirage drive  (Read 3023 times)

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
This my report after using clip in mountain bike pedals on Hobies Mirage Drive. I was not satisfied with the stock plastic pedals that came with my Adventure and I thought the adjustment pin/bolt mechanism running through a hollow crank arm is a weak spot in the drive. Hobie does still have some of the solid aluminum drive arms they originally equipped the Mirage drive with. These arms come threaded for standard bike pedals of your choice instead of a pressed fit rod running through a plastic platform. I purchased a set of the old version drive arms and screwed in a well worn pair of mtb clip in pedals. An old pair of mtb shoes was enlisted for the first of many ocean trips. They worked but a pair of mtb sandals proved superior to the shoes in that 7mm neoprene booties could be used with them. Very warm feet through a day of jigging with feet overboard.

The biggest advantage of this system is a fuller use of all leg muscles. Upper thigh fatigue especially when pedaling hard is lessened in that the foot can pull back on the pedal and let the back leg muscles share the work load. A higher cruise speed can be kept for a longer distance. The feet are held in suspension in the shoes so they rest easier than in pedals and straps. Getting out of clip ins is easy. A flick of the heels outward and they disengage. One can also pedal without locking in just by positioning the shoe cleat above or below the pedal lock system.

This is one attempt at a yak improvement that I have been really pleased with.

Charles
Charles

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
even though I'm not on a hobie, I was thinking about this just the other day.
Interesting Mod!

I know when I made the change from straps to clip ins on my bike (commuting through SF) I was sooooooo happy. Using your legs to pull as well as push makes a world of difference.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
a set of the clips on one side and standard platfom pedals on the other may be a great middle road mod
-Eric Berg

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
That makes sense...

I like the idea of the pedals locking you in while your just resting.. I can see the advantage to that and everything else ya said...

Patent and let Hobie buy you out!!!

Nice job...
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
charles, as a cyclist do you find the back and forth hobie motion odd relative to spinning on a bike?
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Appreciate the responses to the clip in topic. A couple comments:

I did try platform pedals on one side of the clip ins but decided I really didn't use them much, and yes the push push of a mirage drive is odd relative to full bike revolutions but the pull back on clip in pedals mitigate that feeling somewhat.

Charles

alamedamike

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
What is it like to flip while clipped in??? Do you pop out??

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The tension on the springs that secure the cleat of the shoe to the pedal can be adjusted to a very "loose" setting. If flipped by a wave the motion of ones body going over the yak will cause the shoe to disengage. I also use  velcro straps and keep the shoe loose enough to just pull the foot out if need be.
Charles

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

When I got my very first OB ( Back in 04') I was mountain bike riding pretty heavy, and thought about adding clips to my OB, but didn't do it then.  I still think about doing it every time I'm out on water, peddling, and my darn foot slips off the peddle!

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
The last thing I would want is to use my leg muscles to PULL the pedals back toward me. Each of my legs need their rest between pushes.

I do mostly 10 to 15 mile days on my Adventure now. My legs are perfectly fine after a fishing trip (trolling marathon).

To me the beauty of the mirage drive IS the rest between pushes. Otherwise, I might as well be chained to a hamster wheel.

I'm out there to fish. I'm not doing the Tour De Berry  :smt044

Then again, I could just as easily be wrong too! And I'm sure many folks in super physical shape would enjoy the workout. 

P.S. I still have my straps on my pedals. Keeps my feet from shifting around and slows me down so I don't stand on the pedals too hard and bust them trying to go too fast off the line.

Hobie Adventure Island

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
The last thing I would want is to use my leg muscles to PULL the pedals back toward me. Each of my legs need their rest between pushes.

I do mostly 10 to 15 mile days on my Adventure now. My legs are perfectly fine after a fishing trip (trolling marathon).

To me the beauty of the mirage drive IS the rest between pushes. Otherwise, I might as well be chained to a hamster wheel.

My guess is that like on a bike, you can distribute the workload more evenly so you would be even "finer" after a marathon troll.  That being said, as it works for you, why fix it right?  :smt001
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
You use different muscle groups through the stroke, so if you can pull you'll end up using less muscle overall.

How much did the solid arms set you back?

I've got a pair of stainless egg beaters, and some old shimano sandals that I keep eyeing for this.

charles

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The solid bike pedal threaded drive arms were around 60 bucks for the pair.
Charles

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I'm new to kayaking and recently purchased a Outback with mirage drive. This seems like a great idea. I'm still not very coordinated with this peddling motion and I'm sure I will get better, but I can see where this would be a great improvement. Thank you for the report!

NotaSeal
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

fungunnin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I ended up doing basically the same thing but for different reasons. Several friends and I were having problems with drive arms breaking so I wanted something stronger.
I cut my arms from solid 7075 aircraft grade aluminum. There are almost as strong as solid stainless.
I am also playing around with longer arms for tall guys ... Especially in the PAs.

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

anything