Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 1/29/2012 Crabfest at Doran (Report & pics)  (Read 14803 times)

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I have fun!  :smt003 I was in first place for a minute because I was the first one to checked in with 6.06 inches!!!  :smt005 :smt044 Thanks Victor for putting all this together and also I would like to thank Dan for letting me borrow the SWIFT paddle  :smt007

Kiel
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:43:16 AM by ReelKnots »
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

pinseeker_11

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Looks like fun! I stayed home for the last day of duck season :smt013 Looks like I should have been OTW instead! Thanks for the pics and report
2013 Jackson Cuda 14

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Great job Victor and Dan and everyone who attended. It look like Sonoma County will have a real great event for years to come. Other plans came up. Sorry I missed it you guys. Again great job promoting Promar/Ahi and all the other sponsors who gave prizes for the event.  Congrats Jonesz! Youll look good on the bright green navigator this coming rockfish season.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Thanks Victor and Dan for sponsoring a great event! I would recommend a saturday event next time in order to handle us campers. It was a pain to pack up and get crabbing all on the same day. A full day soaking would have been nice and we would have been able to eat more crabs.  :smt007  Just a thought foro next time.  Was able to get 4 dungies on Saturday but none on Sunday  :smt010 . Oh well , the family had a great time and the weather on Saturday was awesome! Look forward to the next hook up!
Later
Jimbo
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
We love Doran anyway and the crabfest as a reason to go camp and play was an instant let's go with the family... weather couldn't have been better... Windy at Doran? It's Always windy :smt044 So much fun to see literally hundreds of crab pots and Yaks all over. Will be an event that my kids will tell stories about for a Long time.... :smt005 My hungry hoard of kids was no match for that Potluck :smt007 All had to stop eating or burst :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 Thanks Victor and Dan for a really good event and Time... Was fun being a contender with my big crab for 5 minutes before a bigger one came up :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So how big was the winning crab?!   :smt003

Looks like fun - way to go, Jonesz!  And congrats to all the competitors, organizers and sponsors.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

Looks like fun - way to go, Jonesz!  And congrats to all the competitors, organizers and sponsors.   :smt001
+2...Looked like a GREAT Time was had by All and another Classic added to the yearly events for years to come! Just Awesome! Me and Chris wish we couldve been there as well, projects were calling us to get done! Jonesz now has a Cobra!!? Congrats, who got the Big Red? Well Done Victor and Dan, Well Done.
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
The wife & I were there on Sat  =  we had fun. :smt005
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

I recalled the biggest crab was 7.4" and second place was 7.1".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:04:46 AM by Sailfish »
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
Quote from: Sailfish

I recalled the biggest crab was 7.4" and second place was 7.1".

Right on!  Thx for the stats, Sonny.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
2012 Crabfest was a blast. The weather was perfect, crabs were being caught and the food was in abundance.

On Saturday when I arrived there were already kayaks all over the campground, it was such a great sight to see. Dan from the Headwaters had a variety kayaks out for people to demo. I was lucky enough to have Dan take me out by the Bodega Head and teach me some rock gardening and then had some fun in the surf zone. Hopefully he got some video of that. After a great day on the water there was plenty off food to be had all over the camp, I didn’t know where to start.

Sunday morning arrived and it was cold and windy, but people were already up getting their kayaks ready. At 6:30 in the morning there was already a line at the day use area. The derby started at 7:45 and the kayakers were headed out to drop their pots. Throughout the day all you could see was kayaks on the water, it was such a great sight to see. There were a total of 93 registered participants and many more kayakers who did not crab. 

As always the potluck was a hit, there were sliders, tempura, chicken wings, chowder, hot dogs, Crab, noodles, adobo and much more. Thank you everyone who helped make the food for the potluck.

There were some big crabs caught for the event, every time I thought I had seen the winner a bigger crab would come in. Here are the official results:

Biggest Rock Crab went to Scott Carlson( NCKA handle?) with a size of 6.19” and a weight of 1.27 lbs.

The 2nd place Rock Crab went to Martin Bennett aka Fish n’ Brew with a size of 5.97’ and a weight of 1.11 lbs.

And now for the biggest Dungeness Crab…..

1st place went to Glyn Jones aka Jonesz with a size of 7.41” and a weight of 2.23 lbs

2nd place went to James McGrew aka KayakJames with a size of 7.19 and a weight of 2.38 lbs.

The Raffle for the Greenfish CPR mount raised $350 for our brothers Mooch and Marv. Thank you for all who donated. Jedmo was the lucky winner.

A special thanks goes out to Dan Arbuckle aka Paddleboy84 and The Headwaters kayak shop. You definitely made this event awesome and helped take it to another level. Look forward to working with you again next year.

I also wanted to thank my wife Narisa, even though see won’t read this on here she was a big part of keeping the event running. She checked people in and handled the raffle. Can’t ask for a better wife, she is already talking about next year.

A big thank you to the following sponsors: The Headwaters Kayak Shop, Promar & Ahi USA, Swift Paddles, GreenFish,  Sports Authority of Concord, Spike & RTM Kayaks.

Also please remember without the sponsors all the great items at the event wouldn’t have been possible. Please remember them when thinking of making you next purchase.

Crabfest in my eyes was a huge success and I look forward to next year. I will post some more photos when I get a chance. Please feel free to post any that you have.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:08:43 AM by vwool »
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile

Also please remember without the sponsors all the great items at the event wouldn’t have been possible. Please remember them when thinking of making you next purchase.

Crabfest in my eyes was a huge success and I look forward to next year. I will post some more photos when I get a chance. Please feel free to post any that you have.

Yes.... please keep the pics coming here.  Our sponsors love them.  If you get a chance, also post some pics on http://www.facebook.com/promarahi

Help keep the support and prizes flowing. :smt003
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Had a great weekend tons of food great company good crabs, and came in second place. life gets no better. thanks to all the sponsors, and to victor for all his hard work, and mrs Victor as well.

I ended up with 5 total and 2 over 7. the one that got me 2nd place was heavy and he had tons of meet, it seemed like when i cracked him his meet kinda pushed out.

anyway killer weekend definately got to do this again.
Where did he go george

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Doran Crab Fest was a great event thanks to Victor, Dan, the sponsors, the NCKA family, and the cooks.  I had a great time partying it up with everyone and look forward to the next hook up/event. Congrats to all the winners! 

p.s. I'll post up pictures this evening after work...
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Most of my pics are from Saturday.

Here's some food.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...