Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A Reg I didn't know about, affects yak diving/fishing  (Read 825 times)

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Just saw this on the DFW site

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/San-Francisco#dungeness

It was posted about crab but farther down I saw this, I bolded the part that could have gotten me in trouble in the past,

Additional Information about Groundfish

Groundfish Angler and Diver Definitions

Boat-based anglers are fishermen angling from boats or vessels of any size or any other type of floating object, including kayaks and float tubes.

Shore-based anglers are fishermen that fish from beaches, banks, piers, jetties, breakwaters, docks and other manmade objects connected to the shore. No vessel or watercraft (motorized or non-motorized) may be used to assist in taking or possessing federally-managed groundfish species, greenlings of the genus Hexagrammos, ocean whitefish, or California sheephead while angling from shore.

Divers are scuba or free divers with or without spearfishing gear, entering the water either from the shore or from a boat or other floating object. Except for spearfishing gear, all other types of fishing gear are prohibited aboard a vessel or non-motorized watercraft while diving or spearfishing for the purpose of retaining federally managed groundfish species, greenlings of the genus Hexagrammos, ocean whitefish, and California sheephead during a seasonal closure for boat-based anglers.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Smh they need to be more clear and concise about their wording . i always have to get a second opinion with the regs. Wtf lol
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I knew about the definition of diver, and that I could spearfish year round, but I never read far enough to see that I couldn't have hook and line equip on board.

Over the years I've done outtings where I ab dove, speared a couple fish for fun, and then moved out to deeper water and jigged the rest of the day.

Of course we used to ab dive, then scuba dive from the same boat with scuba gear on board which at the time was OK but now it's not.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
You can have fishing gear on board as long as the boat based season is open. If boat based is closed no fishing gear can be on board.

I knew about the definition of diver, and that I could spearfish year round, but I never read far enough to see that I couldn't have hook and line equip on board.

Over the years I've done outtings where I ab dove, speared a couple fish for fun, and then moved out to deeper water and jigged the rest of the day.

Of course we used to ab dive, then scuba dive from the same boat with scuba gear on board which at the time was OK but now it's not.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You can have fishing gear on board as long as the boat based season is open. If boat based is closed no fishing gear can be on board.

I jumped the gun a bit, that's logical and that's what it says in other parts of the regs, but the section I quoted doesn't say that.  There are some words missing (in bold) that are in other sections.

Here it does spell it out.

2. Divers and shore-based anglers are exempt from season and depth restrictions affecting the RCG Complex and other federally managed groundfish. However, when spearfishing during a boat-based closure, only spear fishing gear is allowed aboard any vessel or watercraft. Also, when angling from shore during a boat-based closure, no vessel or watercraft may be used to assist in taking or possessing species included in this table. The following definitions describe boat-based and shore-based anglers, and divers:

-Boat-based anglers are fishermen angling from boats or vessels of any size or any other type of floating object, including kayaks and float tubes.
-Shore-based anglers are fishermen angling from beaches, banks, piers, jetties, breakwaters, docks and other man-made structures connected to the shore.
-Divers are spear fishermen entering the water either from the shore or from a boat or other floating object.

anything