Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: My new Stealth Evolution 430  (Read 3832 times)

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Just purchased ...

Piscis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
More pictures please.   :smt004
Pronounced "Piss-Kiss", Fish in Latin
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Yellow

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
One pic ??? Such a tease !!! :smt044
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Nice ride Michael.  Lets fish again soon.  :smt006
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Just got home.  More pics...

Michael

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Bad ass. Congratulations man.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Okay, now that I am home, I can give a more complete write-up.

As you may know from a previous post, I have been shopping for a new kayak.  Today, I had an appointment to demo, the Stealth Evolution 430, Viking Profish 400 and Eddyline Caribbean 14.  I made the long drive out to Lodi, with great anticipation.  I arrived at the boat house at the allotted time and started out in the Evolution.  That was probably a mistake, but it was the order in which I tested.  Getting in, it was slightly more tippy than my Trident, but not too much so.  I paddled it around Lodi Lake practicing sprints and steady forward strokes, sweeps and a few braces.  It was fast but still felt a bit tippier than I was used to. 

I then got in the Caribbean.  It was a nice and light boat, but it didn't feel a lot faster than my Trident.  However, perhaps it suffered in respect to the Evolution.  Paddling into the wind it also didn't feel a lot better than my Trident.  Practiced the same set of strokes but came off the water feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the Caribbean.

Next I paddled the Viking Profish 400.  It is a bit heavier than the other two boats, but still seems quite a bit lighter than the Trident.  The 400 is about 13' 2" long, almost 31" wide and weighs in at around 55 pounds.  Due to its length and width I expected to be the slowest and least nimble of the three.  Once I started paddling it around the lake, it was quite responsive and seemed to be quite a bit more speedy than the Caribbean both up and downwind.  The Evolution was still the quickest. 

There were a couple of things I disliked about the Evolution on my first test, so I fixed them to see if I might like it better.  I needed to move the foot pegs up toward me a notch or two and I also decided to try it with just a back rest and no seat.  With these two changes, I liked the Evolution a whole lot better.  It was super responsive and fast.  The lower center of gravity allowed me to feel confident in the kayak so I could really push it around a lot better than I was the first time around. 

After the on the water demos, I was pretty much set on the Evolution.  I did some on land inspection as well as lifting and moving the yaks around and all of them did pretty well.  Based on the above demos I decided that the Evolution would be my kayak of choice.

Went back over to the shop and found there were only two Evolutions left, an all white one and the red/yellow demo.  I liked the color of the red and yellow demo (the yellow will keep the memory of my OK Trident 13 alive :) ) so I purchased that one for a slight discount.  Made the long drive back and now it is in my apartment ready to go out on the water.

Now I need to check the hookup section for tomorrow  :-) .

Michael

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Nice boat. Congrats!

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Congrats on your new yak Michael.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Great choice Michael! admittedly I am a little biased, but I do truely love these kayaks. Let's get together and catch some fish.

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff