Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stillwater Cove 7/08/10  (Read 1729 times)

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Sonny and I hit Stillwater early yesterday morning.  As soon as we launched and traveled about 50 yards, the blade broke off of my Hobie paddle.  Being a Hobie guy, a paddle has never seemed to be too important of a tool.  Wrong!  The mirage drive isn't very useful in heavy kelp like that at Stillwater.  Last trip out, I broke a fin on my mirage drive.  I always rinse and lubricate all of my gear after every trip but I guess some of this stuff just doesn't last forever.  After seeing the way the paddle blade snapped, it's clear that Hobie doesn't apply the same quality to their paddles as they do the rest of their gear.  I managed to pedal around the kelp and fish the edges but it wasn't a real productive day.  I hooked 4, lost 2, and threw one baby back.  I believe Sonny managed 4 keepers.  We met a couple of other NCKA'ers but I didn't get their screen names.  One of the guys got a nice Ling and he said it was his first time fishing from a yak.  Hopefully he will post.  I think Sonny got a picture and will probably post it.  I didn't get any pictures of the fish but here are a couple of shots of the cove.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:27:19 PM by bennettdanville »

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
Martin, thank you sir for sharing your report with us. I was the one talking to Sonny over the radio. I am very sorry to hear about your paddle and unfortunate that it had to happen early. I have to admit, I was very surprised at how thick the kelp beds were here at Stillwater. I, too, was having a challenging time, paddling through them.

I'm glad that you made the best out of your day and was able to catch some fish :D I hope that we all can do this again, but this time together or within conversational reach. I would like to get to know all on a personal level :)

Since a report has been made by you sir, I hope that you don't mind if I just add my report along. I look forward to meeting you again, and do some serious fishing together!

After finishing my morning meeting in Salinas, I headed straight to Stillwater where I met my 2 PFIC buddies (Ryan and Patrick) who are now also addicted to kayak fishing lol. I also got to meet Roger and Pete, as well as talked to Martin and Sonny over the radio. All are class act gentlemen; I look forward to fishing and getting to know you :)

Since this was my first time out at SW, I followed my 2 buddies who have been here once before. We started to fish in the kelp beds inside the cove. Boy, that kelp bed is THICK!! I was using a hi-lo dropper rigged with squid teaser tube with a piece of squid strip on 4oz torpedo sinker. Both my buddies were using bait, squid and sardines. We were all having a challenging time catching RF. I ended up c&r 4 coppers, while harvesting 1; Patrick bagged his limit; Ryan caught 3 RF, but ended up catching a 24" ling after I had left the waters. Although rockfishing wasn't great for us, we had another fantastic day on the waters.

One question that I hope some can help me since this was my first time out at Stillwater. Is it better to fish in deep waters (100'+) or shallow? My friends and I were fishing 50' or less during our outing. However I was really tempted to go out much further/deeper, but decided not to since my buddies did not want to venture far.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Is it better to fish in deep waters (100'+) or shallow?
This is the eternal unanswerable question that plagues all ocean fishermen. [yoda emoticon here] There is no absolute; it's not black & white. Sometimes shallower is better. Sometimes deeper is better. And there's only 1 way to find out!  :smt002
Can't wait to get out there with ya'll!!!
Thanks for the reports guys!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the report Martin. Sorry to hear about your paddle. I'm telling you, you
need to stop working out! Those monster quads and biceps are just getting too
big for the Hobie. :smt005 :smt005

Hey Daniel, Ryan is just on fire catching fish all the time. You'll get some good
action soon enough bro. Just wait till you catch a monster, it'll all worth your while.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Sorry about the paddle, at least there was a second option.  It makes me want to go out and get a second paddle so I have a backup.  Regardless, it looks like you still caught a few. 

Daniel, it looks like you have been getting out quite a bit recently, we should get out together sometime soon.  I may be able to do the 19th or 20th as I will be down in pebble beach from the 17th until the 21st for a family vacation.  I'll let you know as it gets closer to the date.

Thanks for the reports! 

Michael

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
What a beautiful day it was!  And this cove is a special place with nice scenery and lots of wildlife.  Fishing was slow but the gorgeous scenery, nice weather, and great companions made it a wonderful experience.  I'll definitely be back here soon.  It was my pleasure to meet Daniel, Ryan, and Patrick.  Hope to see you guys again soon.  here are some pictures of the day...
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
A few more...
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Is it better to fish in deep waters (100'+) or shallow?
This is the eternal unanswerable question that plagues all ocean fishermen. [yoda emoticon here] There is no absolute; it's not black & white. Sometimes shallower is better. Sometimes deeper is better. And there's only 1 way to find out!  :smt002
Can't wait to get out there with ya'll!!!
Thanks for the reports guys!

shallow you shall start,
for deep water farther out
if find not fish there,
paddle to deep you will
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

rshu

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
hey guys, it was great meeting you all on a beautiful day out on the water...

Dan, Ryan, and Patrick, nice meeting you, and hope we get to fish closer and hang out some more next time. Sounds like you guys did pretty well. We were on the same mission looking for the fish as well.

Martin and Sonny, nice chatting with you guys at the end of our day, and thanks for posting that picture! It was my buddies first time fishing, I loaned him my kayak, and he's pretty much hooked as well.

We ended up with 3/4 limits on a mix of rockies, a greenling, and a nice 27" ling! We had a great time out there and it was like a lake out there. I caught the ling on a white/silver 5" kalins grub on a 3 oz lead head... I felt him hit on the drop before It even hit the bottom of 80 fow.

Hope to hookup with you gents again sometime soon! I'll post a few more pics when I get a chance. btw, had some awesome ling fillet tacos for dinner tonight...

roger

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
NICE!!!!!!

That place is AWESOME!!!!  Even if no fish are biting!

Nice ling Roger!!!!   :smt007 :smt007

Thanks for sharing guys!!

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Love to fish there someday, looks Great...

Benettville,,,  You are not The Hobie Poster Boy...  :smt002

where did it break? from the picture it looks clean, like it came apart... so is it a matter of gluing it back together or is it just done....
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
Hi Don,
It's done.  It just snapped off at the base of the blade.  I ordered a new one yesterday.

Martin

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
It was a great pleasure to have met you all that day, and I look forward to meeting many more of you in the near future :D Thank you all for the moral support, the advices, and friendships I have already made with. Much love to you all, esp Mooch. I'm sorry that I cannot be there at SC today, but my thoughts and prayers are with you all!!

Michael, I have been going kayak fishing every week. However, it have been on weekdays since weekends are pretty busy for me being in retail business. When you do some down, please let me know. It would be an honor to fish with you and any other fellow brothers and sisters on this site.

Everyone, have a great weekend!!

- Daniel

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Shallow or deep?

Last time out I was at Van Damme and the wind was nasty, so I hid behind a rock and found a hole about 35 ft, got 3 14" fish outta there which I kept for dinner, then back to the launch, the hail mary drop in 20 ft of water produced a fat 27" ling.  Go figure.

deepdvr

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Hi Don,
It's done.  It just snapped off at the base of the blade.  I ordered a new one yesterday.

Martin

Was your paddle an aluminum or newer fiberglass one?  The aluminum Hobie paddles are horrible and will break with minimal torque.  If you are getting a new one either get a fiberglass Hobie or aftermarket.

anything