Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Mounting a Garmin Striker 5 on an OK T13  (Read 2930 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
After reading a lot of posts I was under the impression that the transducer needs to be in a water bath. I have seen other people use a similar setup so the water is not lost during a launch or unloading etc.

Do you use a transducer inside the hull without a water bath?

I have seen where other people use silicone to attach the transducer to the hull however that leaves bubbles that create false images on the screen.

I have always used transducers in the water so this is all new to me. I guess I will find out how it works next week.

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Check out garmin web site. ( In Hull transducer mount)used this a couple of times. Even with Lowerance transducer. Cost about $20.00. Self adhesive. I used no water.

Tinker

The Garmin in-hull kayak mount is Garmin part number 010-12357-00 if you want to search for it.

This isn't the first time I've seen folks attach a plastic container to the hull to mount the transducer, so it's not new and weird to me, except those folks used the transducer's transom mount hardware to hang the transducer from the wall of the container and didn't use duct seal inside the container.

The advantage they claimed for using a container was that they can mount the transducer anywhere along the rocker of the hull and use the transom mount adjustments to keep everything parallel to the water's surface.

The transducer doesn't have to be fully submerged in water.  I used a foam puck/water bath mount for quite a while and all we're looking for is to keep air out from between the transducer and the hull.  A little dab of water will do, but a lot of water can't hurt.

There are simple methods to prevent air bubbles from forming in GOOP when you use it to mount the transducer, but you're right - we don't want air bubbles.

It may be a complicated transducer installation, but if it works, that's all that counts.

On my Trident 11 - without the Sonar Shield - I have a RAM ball mounted just astern of the front hatch, and use the long arm to bring the HOOK 5 closer to me.  Something like how you mounted the Garmin head unit.  I'm fairly happy with that location on a T11 because I can swing the arm to the side and use the Mod Pod.  I'm still thinking about how to mount the HOOK on my Trident 13, so thanks for those photos.

Fish-finder sonar signals scatter through air - that's why it's important to prevent air bubbles between the transducer and the hull - so I don't understand how one can use that Garmin mount pad without water or GOOP or something else under the transducer and still get an accurate signal into and back from the water.

Thanks for showing us how you did it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:36:09 AM by Tinker »

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
The only reason why I don't have problems with the transducer is that I apply Duct Seal to the bottom of the transducer. The In-Hull transducer mount is just another method of securing the transducer to the kayak.

Tinker

The only reason why I don't have problems with the transducer is that I apply Duct Seal to the bottom of the transducer.

Okay, that makes sense.  And it keeps the sealant where you need it instead of all over the place (like mine is).  Thanks for explaining it to me.

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the explanations. Tinker, I saw a video on youtube or a write up on another site where a guy used a container with the explanation that he had to keep replacing the water in the dam. I figured I would go with that idea so I wouldn't have to mess with replacing water. I should have asked more questions but I hate to post a bunch of questions that may have been answered already so I do a lot of searching. Anyway it is setup and I will see how it works out. Now I can see that all you have to do is make a dam with duct seal and pour a little water in, then seal it up. Live and learn!

The reason I placed the transducer in that location was the hull was smooth there (which I'm sure does not matter) and it is out of the way of the wheels from my cart. Now I would like to lash the pool noodles in the rear of the yak with possibly a bungee cord so they stay out of the way.

It is all a work in progress because I used the RAM ball location that the previous owner had installed. The Striker 5 is a bit large but my eyes aren't getting any better.  :smt002

Tinker, if you have a pic of your T-11 setup I wouldn't mind checking it out although I think I have a good idea about what you are talking about except the long arm.

This forum is great along with NWKA. Lots of good ideas and advice!

Tinker

My apologies!  I meant the same RAM arm you're using, not something new and different.  The front deck of a T11 has an ~6-inch flat area between the cockpit and the front hatch instead of a Sonar Shield.  I put a 1.5-inch RAM ball there and the longer arm ends about three inches over the Mod Pod.  I'll PM you a picture in the morning.

I may even be one of those folks who whined about having to add water to a foam puck/water bath, but not because it lost water on launches and re-entries (it shouldn't if done correctly), but because you drain the water every time you've finished and refill them when you next use them.  It's maybe 4oz of water, but I decided it was a PITA when I'd bring Gatorade but forget to bring water - or a cup.

You should never hesitate to ask questions.  I think the folks here (and on the Northwest Kayak Anglers step-site) are generous with their knowledge and with their advice, and if nothing else, someone will tell you where to look for the 10,000 previous answers to whatever question you may ask.  :smt003

Better yet, meet up with others, go fishing, and look at how they installed their transducers.  But go fishing.  That's the important part.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:48:27 PM by Tinker »

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I thought I would give a report on how the new setup is working out. I used to have a handheld GPS and an old FF. It is nice to have everything on one device. I am still learning about the features of the Striker 5, there's not too much to it though. The location of the FF might not be the best during crab season because I used to pull the trap and place it right where the sonar shield is. Now I have to pull the trap and place it way back which restricts a smooth stroke with the paddle.

I just saw on the NWKA where someone used a Scotty mount for a fish finder and used different holes in the Mod Pod to mount the FF. I might setup a Scotty FF mount and attach a Ram ball on it so I can switch to the sonar shield location or the mod pod when I need to. I'll have to pull more slack in the cables if I go with that setup. Still thinking on that one.

The container for the transducer works fine and I guess I wont change anything because it works. I may change things next winter. I am getting a little leakage, the duct seal I used was old so that may be the problem.

The new Trevela rod and Okuma line counter reel is great! I like the action on that rod and the line counter does come in handy for figuring out depth.

I'm all setup for some nice fishing in the coming year. Thanks for all the tips!

Tinker, you are right. The important thing is to get out there and have some fun on the water. Even if the fish aren't biting it's nice to be on the water, you never know what you will see. A whale, Orca's, it's always an adventure...

Tinker

Interesting that you brought up the Scotty mount using the ModPod rod-holder holes because I picked one up just this morning to use on my T13.  I was the one who asked the question about mounting a FF in the Sonar Pod, but hadn't paid attention to the photo's of Trident13's setup until the other day.
"Duh!" I was about to put $60+ into RAM parts.  :drunken_smilie1:

Glad you got out and had fun.  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:43:42 PM by Tinker »

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Ha! That's funny, I was just looking at pictures and not paying attention to names as usual. Glad you saved a few bucks. I might post a pic once I get the alternate setup installed.

Looks like there will be no fishing for a while around here. Lots of wind coming up but the season is long. That April wind always comes up, in the years past there would always be ab divers in trouble because of it. Better to dive or yak another day!