Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crab pot from Kayak  (Read 1343 times)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I have a tandem kayak. What is the number of crab pot/net allowed when 2 people paddle? And 1 person paddle? Assuming 2 people scenario allows more pot/net vs. a single person, is it legal to have all floating device with same person's GO ID? Is more than one GO ID allowed on a floating device/crab float? Thanks!
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
There is no limit on the number of pots or traps a boat based recreational fisherman can use in California.  Knock yourself out.

As far as multiple GO IDs on one buoy, I don't know if that question has been answered yet. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
I ran five solo one day and ran through three or four checks on each trap -- it was a lot of work. If I'm just going to drop and let soak I might do that again, but if I plan to actively work the traps and move around looking for crab I wouldn't do more than three again.

The type of trap you have and the amount of storage you have might be the limiting factor. I have the folding ProMars and the traps aren't bad when collapsed, but the coils of line, floats, etc eat up space as well.

Good luck,
Brad

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks guys! Space is a big issue with Hobie Outfitter. The most I have done was 3 nets + 2 traps with my wife onboard. I didn't bring my rods and that was best decision. We works back to back none stop. It was a good workout.
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hi James,
I use my Hobie Tandem Oasis whenever I go crabbing, whether solo or with someone else. I like the extra space and stability . I use 2 Danielson cages and 2 Promar hoops and load it up with a homemade PVS holder that I stick in the rear scupper holes and 4 seems to be the max for me, then it becomes a storage and weight issue. If I am only crabbing and checking my traps every 30-40 minutes, that's a lot of pulls and paddling. I also put extra weights on my traps to make it more stable on the bottom, which adds weight to the kayak when loading up to go out or come in. After flipping my tandem in HMB Harbor a couple of years ago after having to come in quickly because the wind was picking up and wanted to sort out 2 traps before I landed, I now use outrigger AMA pontoons whenever I go crabbing. It is almost impossible to flip the kayak. It was not easy righting a fully loaded kayak with 4 traps. I also have 2 Rescue Ladders, one in the front and one in the back. I found out the hard way that the hull on the Hobie Tandem Oasis is very wide hull and I had a hard time reaching across the hull to pull the kayak upright. After that, I bought the Rescue Ladders which allow me to have more leverage, as it is draped over the hull the bottom of the hull and I can pull the kayak upright and also use it to get back in the kayak.
I just took a friend out HMB crabbing who had never been on a kayak before and we came up with a good system. We figured out that it worked better if he pulled up the traps in the front seat and handed it to me in the back, where I opened and sorted out the crab. I then handed him the crab and we had a wet burlap bag in the forward storage compartment.
This last trip I lost one of my Promar Hoops because I could not find my buoy. I move my traps around a lot if I am not getting any crabs and location can be very deceiving once you are out in the ocean, even if I am marking the drop spot with landmarks and buoys.
After this last time, spending so much extra time and energy finding my buoys, I am now motivated to learn how to set GPS waypoints on my Hook 5 Fish finder to locate my traps.
By the way, what kind of tandem do you have?
Aloha,
Da Bruddah
Michael Y.
Oakland, CA

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:44:22 PM by Da Bruddah »
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I typically run 4 promar pots. It's not TOO bad if you have the bait bags ready and the harnesses on the pots, then stack them flat. I also have my lines nicely wrapped and kept with electrical tape and stacked. Once OTW I paddle out, pull a pot from behind me, hang the bait bag, clip the rope to the pot and drop it in the water. The return trip doesn't tend to be so organized, pots stacked on the back, but lines just stashed in a hatch somewhere. On the AI I bait and stack all pots ready to go and simply throw them off when I get to the spot.

4 Is doable, but I wouldn't want any more. I do mark mine with GPS, I can always come right back to them, if they don't produce I can delete that waypoint. If they do produce, I save it and input tide info, bait, depth and what was caught. Makes a pretty good record of what worked, where and when.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hi Michael,

I have a 2016 Outfitter. It is smaller than the Oasis. My experience with crabbing is limited to Tomales bay at this point. I started last November and have gone out there several times with either my wife or friends. The tough part is finding space to put the trap while traveling to the spot. I just built a 1 inch PVC holder last Saturday with the exact intention, but it is certainly not the best design. The "finished" product was not sturdy enough (maybe I should use 1.5 inch??). Also, the angle coming out from the scupper holes are not helpful at all. I have to use 2x 45 degree elbow to bridge it. Any chance you may share a picture with your design with me? I googled hard on this, but no luck. Flipping over is definitely scary even just to think about it. Glad that you are okay. I will look into the outrigger. Thanks for that tips!

I saw your report earlier. Congrats! That was a really nice! My wife went out with me to Tbay on past Sunday. 2 cages and 3 nets (usually I just bring 2 cages, since fishing wasn't good, I decided to go all-in on crab) produced 5 dungies and 30+ keeper reds. Marking pots on FF definitely helps a lot. I also have a Hook 5. Push the "Enter" button twice to create a waypoint seems working fine with me. I would like to try some other spots (HMB or Bodega Bay) some day. Again, thanks a lot for sharing!

James

Hi James,
I use my Hobie Tandem Oasis whenever I go crabbing, whether solo or with someone else. I like the extra space and stability . I use 2 Danielson cages and 2 Promar hoops and load it up with a homemade PVS holder that I stick in the rear scupper holes and 4 seems to be the max for me, then it becomes a storage and weight issue. If I am only crabbing and checking my traps every 30-40 minutes, that's a lot of pulls and paddling. I also put extra weights on my traps to make it more stable on the bottom, which adds weight to the kayak when loading up to go out or come in. After flipping my tandem in HMB Harbor a couple of years ago after having to come in quickly because the wind was picking up and wanted to sort out 2 traps before I landed, I now use outrigger AMA pontoons whenever I go crabbing. It is almost impossible to flip the kayak. It was not easy righting a fully loaded kayak with 4 traps. I also have 2 Rescue Ladders, one in the front and one in the back. I found out the hard way that the hull on the Hobie Tandem Oasis is very wide hull and I had a hard time reaching across the hull to pull the kayak upright. After that, I bought the Rescue Ladders which allow me to have more leverage, as it is draped over the hull the bottom of the hull and I can pull the kayak upright and also use it to get back in the kayak.
I just took a friend out HMB crabbing who had never been on a kayak before and we came up with a good system. We figured out that it worked better if he pulled up the traps in the front seat and handed it to me in the back, where I opened and sorted out the crab. I then handed him the crab and we had a wet burlap bag in the forward storage compartment.
This last trip I lost one of my Promar Hoops because I could not find my buoy. I move my traps around a lot if I am not getting any crabs and location can be very deceiving once you are out in the ocean, even if I am marking the drop spot with landmarks and buoys.
After this last time, spending so much extra time and energy finding my buoys, I am now motivated to learn how to set GPS waypoints on my Hook 5 Fish finder to locate my traps.
By the way, what kind of tandem do you have?
Aloha,
Da Bruddah
Michael Y.
Oakland, CA
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for sharing dtizz! I just did a Tbay run the past Sunday with my wife. 2 cages + 3 nets. It went well. Not a whole lot Dungeness, but we got overwhelming reds.

I have four box traps and four rings, and I use whatever I can manage depending on the plan for the day (just crabbing, fishing too, solo or with someone).

Did a Tomales run with two boxes and three rings, and it's a project coming and going, but once you drop them you have a great trap line going. I have different colored secondary floats for the different trap types.

I don't mark with GPS, but definitely drop them in a rough line in general. Even on calmer waters, it can get pretty confusing when you have a good number of traps out.

I assume that if I'm present with the traps that another person I am with can be pulling them and getting their limit too. I doubt the new regs (below) would really require each user have their own floats with GO-ID on it. I assume the intention of the reg is to cut down on folks pulling traps that aren't theirs at all.

Starting August 1, 2016, every crab trap except those used under authority of subsection 29.85(a) (5) of these regulations shall be marked with a buoy. Each buoy shall be legibly marked to identify the operator’s GO ID number as stated on his/her sport fishing license.
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Good tips! I should start managing my waypoint better.  :smt001

I do mark mine with GPS, I can always come right back to them, if they don't produce I can delete that waypoint. If they do produce, I save it and input tide info, bait, depth and what was caught. Makes a pretty good record of what worked, where and when.
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hey James,
I will PM you and perhaps we could hook up sometime. I have had pretty good luck crabbing at HMB over the years. Really easy launch and you don't have to go very far out.
Talk to you soon. I want to learn how to use the Hook 5 for way points.
Mahalo,
Da Bruddah
Michael
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
More than 3 traps are too heavy enough. Having tandem with less space plus 2 ppl and traps and crabs, need to consider weight limit

Ghost

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I used 3 pots and 2 nets on my Hobie Compass for the first time ever went to ocean in HMB and it worked great!  I could carry 2 more pots easily.