Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What kayak do you folks use when flyfishing?  (Read 1690 times)

Pozo FlyChucker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
I am wanting to get into a new kayak soon. I could use a new buddy kayak too, since something bit a hole in my old buddy yak. I have been fishing out of my fish and dive and it works fine, however it is mighty slow. It has more stability than I need and I am willing to trade some stability for more speed and possibly a flat place to stand for flat water. I have been considering the Jackson 'Cuda 14 and I am hoping to try out a Kraken if they come out before I pull the trigger. Hobie has some potential candidates as well. I am not sure how the mirage drive would work without using a stripping basket though. The larger Predator has some comfy looking features as well but I am guessing it will be as slow as the F&D. Long term goal one yak for BTB and one for flat water.
The stability to stand is not a deal breaker for me. Will you guys give me a little insight on what works or doesn't work well for you. I have friends here on the central coast that fly fish just not out of a yak and some that fish SD Bay out of a tube or a 'toon. I will try to demo any potential candidates. I need to narrow down the search however, since I will need to travel a bit to get to the right shop or enough shops to try them all. Thanks for the input. 

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Ran into a guy here last year who fly fished for ling from a Hobbie Quest (non-peddle drive).  He liked his boat for it.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have a older Ocean Kayak Big Game, and a Predator 13. I have ok balance, but can NOT stand in my big game. The Predator is very easy to stand up in, yes it is big and wide, but it moves along pretty good, faster than my Big Game. The bonus with any lawn chair style kayak is you can fish all day, I usually fish 8 hours or more and feel great when I am done. Just my .02 worth, you need to test them out your self to find the one that suits you, and your needs.
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Don't forget the Wilderness Ride 135 with the high seat.  Paddles good for a wider boat. I stand in mine all the time with no issues. As stable, or more stable than all mentioned with the exception of a Hobie PA. Also, I believe the Jackson Kilroy? is much more stable than the Jackson Cuda. I think the Kraken is an offshore designed boat, so it will be narrower and not for standing. I have no insider info on that one though.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I tried out the Jackson Big Rig that has the lean bar and really liked it.  Too bad it weights in at about 90 or so pounds.  For a wide boat it turns real easy and the stability I had standing was amazing.  I'm still trying to find a nice light sit on top that I can stand up in, but right now I use a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and really like it.  Fast on flat water and handles real good in moving water, I can stand up in it but wouldn't try casting, but then I weight about 220 so that makes a big difference.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

C Courtright

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have a Jackson Cruise 12 and have been told by many that it is the perfect fly fishing kayak.  I don't fly fish, but have no trouble at all standing up while bass fishing and obviously the Jackson seat is comfy enough to fish all day from.  The deck on top is wide open and free of many potential snags that alot of other yaks on them.  It's not a speed demon on the water, but I can keep up with most.  The best part is the price especially if it ends up being a part time kayak for you. 

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I fly fish from an eddyline caribbean 12 and it works great. However you can fly fish out of any kayak. Choice of kayak has more to do with water, distance and species less to do with fishing tactics.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Pozo FlyChucker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Thanks for the responses. My average trip is 3-4 miles of paddling in 4' swells usually taking off/landing in a protected spot without too much trouble. The days that are more of an issue are twice that distance or with more swell or wind. I really am wanting a better offshore set up that is more comfortable for longer days on the water. The raised seating and the ability to cover more water are the priorities. Does anyone FF out of a mirage drive Hobie? If so, do you find your line fouling up in the pedals?

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Raised seating in 4' swells is not the best combination.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I've fly fished SD bay and lots of NorCal lakes out of my Cuda 14. It's a little faster than the predator IMHO. When I fished SD bay all the pontoon and tube guys were watching and wishing they could stand. Surf launches and off shore it's pretty good, the new kraken will excel off shore but won't be made to stand up in. I love the stand up ability of the Jackson's and have been looking at the bit rig bar as a place to mount a striping basket. If I was only going to be in lakes I would go with the Kilroy hands down. Hobie's are great boats but I found my fly line tangling on the drive really annoying. Fly line will tangle on everything and does get caught on stuff on my Cuda. There is no perfect kayak for every situation, get one that will do what you want most of the time. Foe me that was the Jackson Cuda 14. I paddled the prototype kraken and for me, not fishing off shore 100% of the time, I would pick the Cuda over the kraken. I have the full line of Jackson's, eddylines and Hobie's ready to demo in Redding if you want to come up and paddle with me. It might be a bit of a drive but I'm an ACA certified kayaking instructor and can help you with your paddle strokes at the same time. Most people don't paddle correctly and that has more of an effect on speed and tracking then the kayak in some cases.

Bowmen

• Bowmen
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I have fly fished  for salmon, trout, cought many kelp bass link cod, and many other  fish in a tarpon 140 very stable in the swell and boat chop faster than an ocean or hobbie

cds6770

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I just recently purchased a PA14 but cannot tell you how it handles on the ocean.  I like it on the lake so far -- takes a little muscle to get it to the water.  Of course there are a lot of things for the fly line to get caught on.  I just ordered a push pole and I think that will help with line management issues in a still water situation. 
Stoopid Wind!