Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly Line  (Read 3272 times)

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I have a line question for you guys, fishing for stripers on lakes, do most of you use a full sinking line or a floating line with a shooting head like T14 or a shooting line with LC13.

Thanks for the help
Pat R

Pelican

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Pat - Ideally, if I'm using fly gear only, I like two rods - one rigged with an intermediate or slow sinking line and the other rod rigged with a T-14 shooting head. The intermediate is good for shallow and top water situations. The T-14 gets deep really fast and is also good for trolling your fly. You can get by with just one rod and two or three shooting heads but changing lines can be a hassle. I'd rather be ready when things around me change. My 2cts. Tom

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Pat - Ideally, if I'm using fly gear only, I like two rods - one rigged with an intermediate or slow sinking line and the other rod rigged with a T-14 shooting head. The intermediate is good for shallow and top water situations. The T-14 gets deep really fast and is also good for trolling your fly. You can get by with just one rod and two or three shooting heads but changing lines can be a hassle. I'd rather be ready when things around me change. My 2cts. Tom

Oooooh boy.... so I guess I need another rod for topwater huh? :smt003 and the madness continues...

Z
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:49:25 AM by Zeelander »
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks Tom for your two cts I think I may go with a slow sinking line for now.

Thanks
Pat R   

Pelican

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Z - You know how it goes ... How many rods do you own right now? I can't even tell you how many I've got cause I don't know! I stopp ed telling my wife what new stuff I was getting years ago. It might be kinda interesting to get a bunch of people here to do an inventory and see just how many rods & reels they own. Could be surprising! Tom

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
No kidding.. :smt005 My wife doesn't even say anything anymore when a package arrives or I come walking through the door w/ yakfishing paraphernalia.... it's just that look now. :smt012 But ever since the Moutcha trip w/ the 70#'s of salmon and 16#'s of fish eggs she seems to not mind too much. Note to self: catch more big fish! :smt005

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hey guys been a while. I used LC 13 for one day and never wanted to see it again afterwards. I've never tried  straight T14. After years of all kinds of shooting heads, Scientific Anglers made the custom tip express. ( no, they are not sponsors.)
You got an intermediate line welded to 30 feet of T14, that you can cut to a length thats works for you or the rod your using. For an 8 wt that would be 5 Ft. I use the whole custom express on a 9 wt, with out cutting any of.
When I'm fishing for any kind of bass Striper, LM, SM or spotted, I use an  8wt with floating line an the 9wt. When I fish the Salt I use the 9wt with floating line and an 11 wt wt that I'm trying out for Orvis with the custom tip express. 
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Here's a post I made a while back.
To walk into any fly shop looking for a shooting head system set up, paticularly a well stocked one can be insane.
I tried a few before I discovered the streamer express . this is a line I have clients use when they've never used a shooting head before. I do hope I'm clear on this line we're talking about. shoothing head and running line are all one complete line , no loop to loop connections. Bunch of info below. hope this helps.

Rapid Sinking Tip Fly Line
Applications:
*   Ideal for fishing streamers
*   Delivers flies deep – fast
*   Small-diameter running line helps keep line deep throughout the retrieve

Sink Rates:
*   5.5-8.0 ips

Taper characteristics:
*   30' tapered sinking head for easier casting
*   Optimum diameter running line for increased durability and reduced tangling

Core:
*   Single strand monofilament nylon

Coating:
*   Exclusive blend of 3M PVC formulated with patented AST – Advanced Shooting Technology – and industry-leading Mastery Series sinking-line technology
*   Graduated-density between sinking tip and handling section allows smoother casting and straighter fishing for more natural drifts, enhanced sensitivity, better strike detection, and easier hook setting

Colors:

Dark Gray/Yellow (200)

Dark Gray/Surf (250)

Dark Gray/Green (300)

Dark Gray/Orange (350)

Dark Gray/Blue (400)

Dark Gray/Red (450)
Delivery: Strong
Stiffness: Moderate
Matching Leader:
Mastery Series Fluorocarbon
Rod Weight Guide:
*   Grain: 200/Rod: 6-7
*   Grain: 250/Rod: 7-8
*   Grain: 300/Rod: 8-9
*   Grain: 350/Rod: 9-10
*   Grain: 400/Rod: 9-12
*   Grain: 450/Rod: 10-13

Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
Pat

I will be fishing the SA Streamer Express 300 gr on an 8wt Sage rod at BAM. As Ricky mentioned, it is a really sweet design although I haven't hooked any stripers on it. I am also still figuring out how to cast it properly. It does seem to roll cast fairly well with a 9 1/2 ft rod. You are welcome to check it out if you will be at BAM.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks Scott I will be at Bang III and if you have time I wouldn’t mind giving it a toss or two just to worn you I think I would be considered a fly chucker not a fly fishermen  :smt009.

Pat R