Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Home made stripping basket  (Read 4523 times)

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Do most of you who flyfish from the yak use stripping baskets? So far I haven't really seen the need for it but then again my experience is very little.

I found this http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/Fly%20Fishing/Stripping%20Basket/How%20To%20Make%20a%20Stripping%20Basket.htm
on the web and was wondering if you guys think it would do the job? And if it was even worth it in the first place.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Pat R.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Zeelander its only my openion but it looks like that basket would just get in the way. maybe if you where standing in a boat it would do the trick. like I said just my openion.

Pat R

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
After chuckin' bugz on the yak for the first time tonight I think I agree with you. The hardest thing was to keep line where it should be and the bucket would just be too big. Thanks for the opinion.

Z
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Orion Coolers

jrsyboy

• Salmon
  • "The Crew"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Z,

The main purpose of a stripping basket is to hold your running line behind a shooting head.  Whether this is part of the fly line (one piece) or a flat/oval/braided mono attached to a shooting head, that's it.  I have never needed a stripping basket out of a kayak because I can't muscle a cast much beyond 50' while sitting.  If you can, more power to you.  I use standard fly lines out of the yak and a shooting head system for distance whether it be salmon/steelhead or surf.

Also, the best stripping basket I ever used and still have (and I used the rubbermaid with mono fingers and one with the cones in the bottom, and the Orvis foldable) is a grocery basket you get from Safeway or other grocery chain.  They drain well, don't catch waves (tends to take your stripping basket down to your knees), takes a bungee well for around your waist, and has handles to carry your stuff and store it in your car. 

Hope it helps!

rob
jrsyboy

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
Thanks for the info jrsyboy. I don't think I could manage a cast further than that yet either. So far , I've been able to sit side saddle and strip a good amount of line into the footwell of the yak. It's worked semi tangle free but I think that's just my inexperience causing the problems... :smt012 I'll be trying out a sinking line setup in BC (Moutcha Bay) so we'll see how I can handle larger fish using this technique. :smt004

Z
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Orion Coolers

Pelican

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Z - Here's a sketch of the "Loop Pad" I use. It's a piece of foam sleeping pad with weed eater line loops  glued in. It fits between your legs ( which form the "basket" ), and does a good job of keeping the line from tangling. Tom

jrsyboy

• Salmon
  • "The Crew"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Z,

In my SOT (or on it technically), I use big coils laid out in front of me.  If you ever watched a two-hander cast European Style (shooting head overhand, not Spey) or an old timer up on the Eel for steelhead w/ a shooting head, they make big coils (like 5' long) and hang them separately, one on each finger of the stripping hand/lower hand of a two-hander.  When they cast, they open their fingers and the line shoots off the hand.  Pretty slick and very hard to do.

In the yak, I make big loops of line in front of me or I make long loops to my left (I'm right-handed) into the yak.  A 5' long loop has 10' of line, so 3 of these has 30'feet, there's 10'+/- in the rod and 30' in the air.  That's 70' and as I said, I can muscle 50' most of the time, 60-65' on a good Wheaties morning.  Try making your pile of stripped line into longer loops and the tangles will come way down.

rob
jrsyboy

Lost Coast Joe

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Be sure to stretch and lube your running line before you use it.  I like Russ Peak's Line Dressing distributed by Umpqua (keep the dressing off the shooting head).  I don't have a lot of experience casting from the deck of my kayak, but I found it a welcome platform compared to the one loop in my mouth and three in my hand.  Keep a clear deck and large loops.  For extra distance release your line at a higher trajectory.  If you're still having problems, I would suggest fabricating some kind of stripping apron as opposed to a basket.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
Z - Here's a sketch of the "Loop Pad" I use. It's a piece of foam sleeping pad with weed eater line loops  glued in. It fits between your legs ( which form the "basket" ), and does a good job of keeping the line from tangling. Tom

Cool idea Pelican! That looks like a great solution. Thanks for everyone's input. It seems that practice at  line management is the way to making this less of a headache. Then again it's been not much a problem  so a whole lot more fun to come. Loving it!!

Z
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Orion Coolers