Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fly fishing the Santa Cruz area  (Read 10835 times)

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
A friend asked me to teach her fly fishing. Any suggestions on good places in the Santa Cruz area? It doesn't have to be on a kayak.

I have seen some rises at Loch Lomond on occasion, but I can't think of any decent places to try dry flies. All my fly fishing experience is on the east coast. All suggestions are welcome.
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Go to Loch Lomond and teach classic casting while targeting bluegills
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I was thinking of kayaking out to the island and casting off one of the floating docks. Where do you recommend looking for bluegills? Along the weedy areas?

Go to Loch Lomond and teach classic casting while targeting bluegills
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Ganoderma....if you're out there (LL) on a sunny day, look for over hanging branches that create shade, you will find the bluegills in there. Good luck and have fun!

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
OK, I'll check that out. I've seen some big bass under those overhangs. Miight get lucky while targeting bluegills!
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Any recommendations on flies for bluegills? Nymphs with a strike indicator?

For bass, I think that streamers should work. Or some kind of surface popper?
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
There is a place in Soquel called Ernie's Casting Pond, 4845 Soquel Dr., 831-462-4665.  I've never been there, but perhaps they'd have some suggestions.

There is a fly fishing shop out on Carmel Valley Road or whatever road that is that heads east from the big intersection on the south side of Carmel - I've been there - it's in the back of a bunch of barn-like buildings that house a number of shops and restaurants, quite a few miles out that road.

I talked to a guy once who told me he fly-fished for surf perch off of the beach near the Sand Plant in Marina when he was a watchman there.  I have seen fly anglers with baskets tied to their waists casting for surf perch around Santa Cruz/ Maresa areas. Also, I heard someone mention fly fishing the Carmel River.

You might just nudge me in the direction of trying what I've heard others do: fly fishing for blues and blacks from a yak.  I know a couple of times when I've casted light lures
in Stillwater south near the kelp I've seen the blues go into a frenzy on the surface.

I think it could be exciting catching a rockie on light tackle.  Let us know how it goes!

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
A friend told me that he has caught perch on shrimp flies while flycasting off the beach. Sounds like fun.

There is a place in Soquel called Ernie's Casting Pond, 4845 Soquel Dr., 831-462-4665.  I've never been there, but perhaps they'd have some suggestions.

There is a fly fishing shop out on Carmel Valley Road or whatever road that is that heads east from the big intersection on the south side of Carmel - I've been there - it's in the back of a bunch of barn-like buildings that house a number of shops and restaurants, quite a few miles out that road.

I talked to a guy once who told me he fly-fished for surf perch off of the beach near the Sand Plant in Marina when he was a watchman there.  I have seen fly anglers with baskets tied to their waists casting for surf perch around Santa Cruz/ Maresa areas. Also, I heard someone mention fly fishing the Carmel River.

You might just nudge me in the direction of trying what I've heard others do: fly fishing for blues and blacks from a yak.  I know a couple of times when I've casted light lures
in Stillwater south near the kelp I've seen the blues go into a frenzy on the surface.

I think it could be exciting catching a rockie on light tackle.  Let us know how it goes!

- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
I've caught them on the surface wiggling small poppers and Griffith's gnats. Under the surface, hare's ears and prince nymphs stripped fast have caught them for me too. Good luck!
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

jrsyboy

• Salmon
  • "The Crew"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
ganoderma,

When fishing for sunfish (bluegill), I like an Irresistible Wulff, Crow Beetle, black ant (foam body), and Hare's Ear.  All (with the exception of the Irresistible Wulff) are easy to tie, last a long time and the Crow Beetle (black deer hair body) and the foam ant float like corks.  Gink then and they will float all day.

I have fished the surf for perch and it's a tricky game.  The usual setup is a 5-6wt fast action fly rod with a type 6 or Teenie T-8 shooting head and mono (Cobra flat or Amnesia) running line.  The basket tied to the waist is the stripping basket.  You put your running line in it and shoot the head into the water.  The running line comes out of the basket without knotting or tangling up (that's the trick)and allows farther casts.  Not a good way to start fly casting.........

Where did you fly fish on the right coast?  I used to surf fish the NJ/NY coastline for stripers and blues.  I also did the trout thing in upstate NY, PA and NJ.

rob
jrsyboy

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
ganoderma,

When fishing for sunfish (bluegill), I like an Irresistible Wulff, Crow Beetle, black ant (foam body), and Hare's Ear.  All (with the exception of the Irresistible Wulff) are easy to tie, last a long time and the Crow Beetle (black deer hair body) and the foam ant float like corks.  Gink then and they will float all day.

I have fished the surf for perch and it's a tricky game.  The usual setup is a 5-6wt fast action fly rod with a type 6 or Teenie T-8 shooting head and mono (Cobra flat or Amnesia) running line.  The basket tied to the waist is the stripping basket.  You put your running line in it and shoot the head into the water.  The running line comes out of the basket without knotting or tangling up (that's the trick)and allows farther casts.  Not a good way to start fly casting.........

Where did you fly fish on the right coast?  I used to surf fish the NJ/NY coastline for stripers and blues.  I also did the trout thing in upstate NY, PA and NJ.

rob
jrsyboy

My main fly fishing spot was the Musconetcong River in northwestern NJ. My dad used to take me there when I was a kid in the 1950's. Crystal clear water and nice rural surroundings. They had a no-kill stretch that was fly fishing only. Over the years, I caught some very big rainbows and browns on dry flies and streamers, and also some tiny brookies on size 28 dry flies.

I fly fished the Green River in Rhode Island a couple of times the past few years. Mostly nymphs, but occasionally dry flies. Nice brown trout, but not as colorful as the ones in NJ.

I never fished the ocean back east with a fly rod, though.
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
In Santa Cruz the salt water fly fishing possibilities are endless in a kayak.
Without a kayak try the surf. If bluegills are your target Mouchs advice was sound.
Top water action is great, but when it slows down I like to tie a woolly bugger dropper
 to the bend of the hook of whatever dry fly I'm using. Use about 12 to 14 inches of tippet. If you casting from shore look for weed beds and work the edges.
Good luck.
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

jrsyboy

• Salmon
  • "The Crew"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

[/quote]

My main fly fishing spot was the Musconetcong River in northwestern NJ. My dad used to take me there when I was a kid in the 1950's. Crystal clear water and nice rural surroundings. They had a no-kill stretch that was fly fishing only. Over the years, I caught some very big rainbows and browns on dry flies and streamers, and also some tiny brookies on size 28 dry flies.

I fly fished the Green River in Rhode Island a couple of times the past few years. Mostly nymphs, but occasionally dry flies. Nice brown trout, but not as colorful as the ones in NJ.

I never fished the ocean back east with a fly rod, though.
[/quote]

Wow!  Small world.  I grew up with the Musky in my back yard (technically it was out the back door, through two farm fields) between Asbury and Bloomsbury.  My father and I also fished the "no-kill" stretch up by Hacketstown near the Dairy Queen.  There were always big fish in there.  One of our favorite flies was a sz 26 or 28  with just a gray emu feather wrap.  Good small midge pattern.

If you want, I can put you in touch with a bunch of surf fly fishing nuts.  We all used to fish the jetties and inlets near Sandy Hook for stripers and blues.  10wts and shooting heads are the game and these guys are top notch.  The ring leader is named Tim and here is his web site:  www.stripersonline.com 

Whenever I go back to see the rents, I hit the surf at least once or twice. 

Hope to bend a rod with you.

rob
jrsyboy

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I left New Jersey in 1968, so those are some old memories. I'm not sure if the Dairy Queen you are talking about is the same place I used to fish. It was all woods for years, and then they built a little burger place right on a flat stretch of the river. So many people would feed bread to the trout, we had to tie flies that looked like bread!

Since my dad passed away, I don't really get back there any more. Thanks for the offer to hook me up with the surf fishermen out there, though.

[/quote]

Wow!  Small world.  I grew up with the Musky in my back yard (technically it was out the back door, through two farm fields) between Asbury and Bloomsbury.  My father and I also fished the "no-kill" stretch up by Hacketstown near the Dairy Queen.  There were always big fish in there.  One of our favorite flies was a sz 26 or 28  with just a gray emu feather wrap.  Good small midge pattern.

If you want, I can put you in touch with a bunch of surf fly fishing nuts.  We all used to fish the jetties and inlets near Sandy Hook for stripers and blues.  10wts and shooting heads are the game and these guys are top notch.  The ring leader is named Tim and here is his web site:  www.stripersonline.com 

Whenever I go back to see the rents, I hit the surf at least once or twice. 

Hope to bend a rod with you.

rob
jrsyboy
[/quote]
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I've caught them on the surface wiggling small poppers and Griffith's gnats. Under the surface, hare's ears and prince nymphs stripped fast have caught them for me too. Good luck!

Are you talking about surf perch or bluegills?
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

anything