Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:41:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: trident vs. predator  (Read 3664 times)

Vermillion

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I am torn, I can have either one. Is the trident worth an extra $150? I am talking new boats. Help me decide
I only fish on days that end with Y

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
It depends on what you want to target fishing. If you want to stand up and fish for bass, then go with the Predator. It is a wide and stable platform with an elevated seat, but it paddles like a barge. If you want to paddle longer distances for salmon, then go with the Trident. Its narrower beam and lower profile will make it easier to paddle in windy condition on the ocean.

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
go to mbk or kayak connection and try them out

i'd rather pay $100 to rent one before i send $1k+ on a boat i don't like

Ichiro--RG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
If not, just take your time and maybe consider a Hobie. You'll never be wrong with Hobie. More money and I saw one in the store for $1600.

Randy

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
If you are able to make your way to Fresno on a Sun or Mon, I will let you paddle both, and possibly catch a beast of a LMB or Crappie ;0) 
You can even rent and bring a Hobie, but plan on dragging and paddling it (too shallow for mirage drive)
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
If you can get up to Santa Cruz Brent/Porky has a trident 13 I bought from him for 475.00. Its a used boat but it has a basic fish finder and it comes with a paddle. It has no seat. You would need to buy one of those. I bought this boat because Brent needed some cash and its a sweet deal. I'll pass it on to you for the same price. $475.00 PM me to set it up. If you are willing to go and get it you try it out and then buy it or return it to Brent's house in Santa Cruz.

What sucks around here is that when someone wants to get an opinion about two different boats people chime in with their take on what they like. That's not answering the question at all. 

Now to your question. The Trident 13 is the boat I presume you are talking about. The angler edition is all set to go and fish. You just need to buy a paddle. The rod pod is the best feature you can get and a lot of the other companies have copied this now. It also has a sonar shield that allows you to mount your FF/GPS in a protected area. The paddling ease is pretty good. The Trident 15 is a little faster. They are out of production right now but there are some around. I can help you find one. They have some in stock at Clavey Paddlesports in Petaluma. The Trident 13 is going to come in around 62 Lbs.

I'm not sure which Predator you are thinking of. The MX or the 13? The MX and the 13 paddles OK . Its no race car that's for sure. The 13 ft model has the rod pod feature but its a bit smaller that the rod pod on the Tridents. The seat in the Predator is super comfy and I could sit in it all day no problem. You can stand with ease for sight fishing or fly fishing. If you are mostly a freshwater guy that likes to stand and cast and are not worried about getting super quick then it might be a good fit for you. The MX is around 80 lbs I think and the 13 at 88lbs.

Lastly, Its always a good idea to let us know how you mostly need to use the boat. How big of a guy you are makes a difference too. Paddling experience plays in as well.

Any other info you would like to know or if you are interested in seeing/ paddling the used Trident13 just say. We can make that happen. Thanks, Craig
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:27:05 PM by ravensblack »
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Sarge

• William Wirt
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I LOVE my Trident 13.
Hobie Dealer Pro Staff
Ling Ling Jigs Pro Staff
http://www.linglingjigs.com 
2017, 27th Shasta Bass Classic
2016, 13th place AOTY
2015, 2nd Place Team GS9 (Team Pacific Outfitters)

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I've paddled both and like the Trident better. It all depends on what you are going to do with it. I'm a guy that likes to paddle all day long and prefer faster boats. The Predator is very stable and comfy, but there are trade offs for the comfort. Craig (Ravensblack) or PolePole are the two guys I would listen to about those two kayaks. Above all, paddle both before you buy. How's that Craig? I did not mention brand XX.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
What sucks around here is that when someone wants to get an opinion about two different boats people chime in with their take on what they like. That's not answering the question at all. 

too much of that going around.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have owned and sold a predator... I own 2 trident prowler 15's one with mod pod. My true opinion on the predator is that it is a big dodgy slow monster barge I did not like and got rid of (I generally DON'T sell them that's why I have 15 in My fleet). I like faster boats... Trident 15 is fast and stable. 13 too... Paddle them both. Paddle them all (brands) rent/borrow some before you buy. Headwaters rents in Lodi... Eric/yakhopper had some great deals too. Good luck hope you enjoy what ever you buy
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:32:11 PM by Weimarian »
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Just an FYI,
I am no longer selling kayaks, I have a few smaller boats left and when they are gone,  im done. My offer still stands if you are willing to make the journey. I will not try to push you into a yak, and if you wanted to purchase either model, I would direct you to Monterey Bay Kayaks. They have always treated me fair. As for which is best, they each have their highs and lows, you will have to paddle each to find what works for you.
Good luck,
Eric / Yakhopper
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I would say the Trident is a better paddling kayak than the Predator. But the Predator is more stable. They're both great boats. Your decision should take into account: where you will be fishing most (fresh vs salt, beach launch vs harbor launch, how far you intend to paddle), your height/weight/ability/experience, and transportation & storage issues. You could test-paddle both models (and many more) for only $30 bucks at MBK. I have an Ultra 4.7 in my fleet and prefer it's sort of a hybrid between the 2 yaks you're looking at...and I personally prefer the Ultra over the Trident & Predator (and they have some on sale for $800 @ MBK now).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything