Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:37 PM]

[Today at 08:18:36 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ultra 4.3 transducer mount  (Read 3171 times)

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

I had a guy call me about installing a lowrance elite 5 on a new kayak he just purchased online from ACK.    ( yeah,,, he should'da bought local ... )    I got to thinking about ways to install the transducer and stream line that gaping hole they provide for the transducer to shoot through..  Figured it might help reduce any drag there.
     Shaped a block of foam to inset the puck and using a combination of silicone ,  Lexell, then finally polyurethane ( in that order )    I shaped and filled the hole, leaving only the bottom of the transducer exposed.  I didn't want to drill any holes, so a small amount of lexell was used so it could be removed in the future without leaving any scars.

Probably didn't need to , but left two small tubes for water to drain from the top.  Could probably seal the top also.   I'm planning on coiling all the excess wire into that cavity then feed it through the pivot tube to the headset.

What do people with that nut that attaches to the head unit?  The nut won't fit through the tube, but the plug itself will.      Cut and re-attach the nut ?

I'll spray paint over it once it's all cured. 
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
The hole was made to fit Lowrance scupper transducers. Did not the transducer fit in the hole with the stock mounting hardware? If you remove the cover that is on the hatch you will find ample room to coil the wire and mount the base to it. The large hole is a bit of a drag I believe also.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Good idea, I think the transducer hole causes drag too. I thought about doing something similar. Only downside to an install like that is if you upgrade to a different-shaped transducer. I currently have the Humminbird kit with the rubber boot in there.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I like your smooth bottom!!     :redmoon

I wonder if you could add "color" to the final poly coat, like we do on surfboard repairs?

My 4.7 with the big down image Humminbird transducer suffered a conk on the Islander. the adaptor kit from OK uses a plastic yoke that is bent now and won't hold the Transducer.  Carl on deck fixed for me with 80# Spectra and coffee stirring sticks as shims, but that is obviously a temporary situation….. Maybe we could do something like this with my 4.7?

Also. did you take any other pictures of your process?? I think it would be a great outfitting article for KFM…

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Why don't you just take a piece of kayak material heat and shape and cut. Attach some hardware to it.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
      I pulled it all out this morning.   Didn't like it.   LOL....  too soft etc.      instead I just glued it to the hull.

After studying it a bit more,,, it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a mold and thermoform  or fiberglass a part.   That way the transducer would be completely immersed.   The cover could be held in place with something as simple as a bungee, or adhered with goop..
   Now there's an idea for some entreprenuer type. 

Today I wired up the unit then fabricated a battery hold down tray up forward of the bow hatch.
         The tray is a center hatch out of a Raptor....    cross breeding  :smt003

Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
When I had a 4.7 I took a block of foam and made a cradle got the battery on the forward part of the hatch. When I ran the power cable from the hatch to the power head I drilled two small holes that the protective sheath over the power cable just barely fit through. When pulling the power cable through the holes I streched the sheath so that it was a ding leak free pass through without sealer or glue.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
      I pulled it all out this morning.   Didn't like it.   LOL....  too soft etc.      instead I just glued it to the hull.

After studying it a bit more,,, it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a mold and thermoform  or fiberglass a part.   That way the transducer would be completely immersed.   The cover could be held in place with something as simple as a bungee, or adhered with goop..

Today I wired up the unit then fabricated a battery hold down tray up forward of the bow hatch.

The Kayak of Dr. Moreau.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:16:51 AM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=36956.0
Im curious,
have they changed the Ultra 4.3?
when I mounted my Lowrance, I was pleasantly suprised to find the mounting bolt inserts in place from the factory.
Here is my install (second post shows Lowrance transducer installed)

Hobie Outback (dune)

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  Wierd,,,,     the scupper hole looks exactly the same,  but there were no inserts.  This one was made in January 2014

I just used a dab of goop to hold it in place. 
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
My 4.7 doesn't have threaded inserts. And the scupper hole is shaped differently than Yakhopper's old 4.3 also.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
The 4.7's definitely had a different shape than the 4.7.  I can't fit my 597 DI 'ducer in my 4.7, but I could fit it in my 4.3.

-Allen

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
Here's the TD scupper on my 4.7
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

I remember that movie when it came out.

The Kayak of Dr. Moreau.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

anything