Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trident 13 Vs. Big Game  (Read 7456 times)

Jriggs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I am debating between the Trident 13 and the Big Game for a new kayak. I know everyone says test drive, but I'm in Redding and Jackson is the only brand up here that I could possibly take out on the water. I already fish out of a Prowler 13 and am ready to upgrade. I'm 6'2" 220 and feel like I sit a little low in the water at times, I'm not worried about getting wet, its part of the experience. The Trident has a higher weight capacity rating, so my thoughts are that it will probably ride a little higher than the Prowler. Any input would be great. I do like being a little faster on the water, so if the Big Game is like pushing a barge, I will probably go with the Trident.

Thanks
Jeff

NicksYak

• Salmon
  • All gave some. Some gave all.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Just my thoughts and no technical justification about weight capacity, etc. I loved my T13. I would still have it, but as an old geezer and only 5' 9", it was getting too difficult for me to load and unload it onto the high profile vehicle I had at the time, so I sold the T13 and got a 12' Eddyline Caribbean, which I also love and can handle on land better. I would have another T13 with pleasure as long as I could trailer it.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
What kind of water will you be mainly fishing on?  The old town predator is another kayak made by Johnson that you might consider.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

SASQUATCH

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
You mentioned the T13 has a higher weight capacity?? the Big Game has a capacity of 550 to 600lbs.  maybe you got it mixed up??
OK BIG GAME PROWLER

CappyMoMo.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I hated my sluggish Big Games.  I'm of the same size and weight you are.  I would have loved to have had a T13 instead of those two beasts.  I am now very happy with my 4.7.  I TRY to only fish salt.   I'm trying to get my dad into a Caribbean 12' when he retires.  As I get older,  I appreciate a light weight yak a lot more.

www.plantfertility.com
Trident Ultra 4.7
Morgan Consulting LLC Agronomy Pro Staff
Hating the Seahawks and the Raiders cause they suck.

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Come out to the demo on Saturday and paddle an eddyline Caribbean 14, along with Jackson's, and Hobie's. this is going to be the best time to demo because you can try everything we have, if nothing else you'll find out what you're looking for out of your next kayak. What works for you and what doesn't.

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
IMO the T13's lighter weight is a real plus, while not as light as some others, I can still do some things that are real pluses for me. If I'm just retrieving crab pots for instance, I can throw the T13 on my head and carry it 30 or 40 yards from the parking lot to the water, a real convenience if I don't want to strap to Wheelez. Many consider the Trident13 a fast boat, I wouldn't want one that was any less fast. The big game is too big for me to keep in my garage. Trident 13 will be a wet ride but its capable as evidenced by the serious catches made from it by big time anglers in big water.
-Amos
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Go with the Trident if you want some paddling speed between those two. The Predator paddles better than the Big Game. I have paddled the Trident 13 , the Predator 13 and the Predator MX (11ft.) The 13 will weight in at 62 pounds with no gear. The MX at 82 and the Predator 13 at 88.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I haven't paddled a Trident,  but I own a Big Game so take my review with a grain of salt.

I'm a bigger paddler (6'3" and pushing three bills with long legs) so the stability, width, and leg room are what sold me on it originally. I love that I can screw around on it or sit sideways to grab tackle out of the livewell and never feel like I'm risking a trip in the drink like I do in my girlfriend's Tarpon 140. Its heavy, no doubt, but I can load/unload it alone and even carry it small distances to a launch spot by myself but it takes a little work.

On the water, well, its a bit of a pig. Its just feels kinda heavy in the water if that makes sense. Its definitely on the slow side to accelerate and really takes a stronger paddler to get it moving and to keep it moving on a longer trip. I do have the rudder kit so it really helps make every paddle stroke count but after a 10+ mile trip, I definitely feel it the next day.

Long story short, given my rather generous proportions, it works for me and I really do enjoy paddling it. However, should I shed some lbs. in the future, I'll definitely be looking into a new ride that offers a little more speed and maneuverability.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Jriggs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the replies,

When I commented that it had more weight capacity, I was comparing it my Prowler. The Prowler is 325 - 375 and the Trident is 350 - 400 or something like that.

I do plan on test driving the Jackson Cuda 14 this weekend as the local dealer is having a demo day.

Thanks again.

Hope I see everyone at GS* in a new ride.
Jeff

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Jeff I will be out Kokanee fishing and will probably stop by if you want to take the Predator 13 out as well. what time are you going. We are launching at 6 am. might cruz over there about 10 or 11 ish.
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

Jriggs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I will probably get there at 10 since I have a bunch of things to do tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me try out the Predator.
Jeff

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Can't wait to see you ralph on your new yak!!   :smt005 :smt002

JK - good luck with your decision - looking forward to seeing you and Jared hammering the lings at the Cove.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Jriggs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I will be sure to be fishing right next to you so I can share in the joy of voiding my stomach.
Jeff

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile