Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:01:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fishgr's Cuda 12 Build Up  (Read 11162 times)

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Because imitation is the highest form of flattery, I'm going to straight up pilfer Wipeout's "build up" post pattern.  I picked up my new desert camo Cuda 12 a week ago yesterday from VWool at Headwaters.  Dan was off doing something awesome and VWool was stuck trying to figure out how to load 13 boats onto the top of a Camry.  The shop, for those of you who have not been there is a yak fisherman's wet dream, especially if you dig the Jackson line, which I do,...so it was indeed a real life wet dream.  If you haven't been, go.  Hell, even got some NCKA stickers.

I've got a whole bunch of modifications I'll be making in the next few weeks that'll go something like this:
  • Mesh sidings for tackle storage
  • Panfish mighty mount install for GoPro at the Stern (have the wifi remote)
  • Lowrance 4 DSI with scupper transducer (gonna straight up copy Wipeout, again
  • 4" Yakattack rails with backers for rod holders and stuffs
  • Silent traction junk on rod pod and various other areas
  • Bungy attachment over 1 "square" area on the rod pod to secure stuffs on top of rod pod section

I took the boat out on Big Break right after I got her and had a good time paddling around in SUPREME comfort.  I was able to stand up and sight fish as well as change the seat from low to high and high to low.  The boat has tremendous stability and nice speed even in the choppy conditions that started to blow up on my way back in to the marina.  I caught nothing and received not even a nibble during the short 2 hours I was out.  However the goal was to get the boat wet and I got that done.  The boat tracks beautifully and has similar speed to my OK T13 from what I could tell without having GPS speed.  The handling is superb and I can turn it on a dime.  I fucking LOVE this boat.

I'll update this thread with more photos as I get this boat builted ups and get her out fishing!  For now, thank you Dan and Victor at Headwaters for being awesome enough to sell these boats and have such a kick ass shop! 

More soon!

Headwaters courtesy check out photo:

Laying first eyes on her, behind the shop:

Jackson Kayaks, obligatory brand photo:
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Glad I could inspire some ideas and looking forward to being inspired also!  I still need to figure out my GoPro mount; also look forward to seeing #5 and 6.  Don't make us wait to long  :smt003
Kenny

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The GoPro thing is tricky.  First of all, it's friggin' hilarious that we all like the "hey look at me thing", but hell, it's fun. 

I don't like where Jackson put the GoPro mount, right up front.  So I'm switching that out with another Ram ball and I'll put something, I dunno what yet, up there on the right (was thinking something that can hold an am/fm radio for Niner and A's games on the water).  I'm thinking that I'll be using my buddies Panfish camera stick on a mighty mount (with backing plate) at the stern.  I've ordered an extension which should push it up another foot for near 3.5' above deck with a ram ball camera attachment deal.  With the wifi remote, that should just about do me for the action shots and time lapse junk.  For trophy shots I use my waterproof Panasonic to photograph the fishies.

Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I think its great that Jackson incorporated Ram mounts up front - but for the life of me I don't know how you guys reach them and I prefer to not have a bunch of extentions to get either a rod holder or ? within reach.  I really wish they would consider reshaping the sides of the kayak to accomodate a track system.  I have a mighty mount and keep weighing mounting location options. 

Question:  What's your take on the rod tubes?  This is another option that I like the looks of but wonder how functional it is.  OTW when moving locations, I reach behind and drop the rod handles in my recessed rod holders.  I'm wondering how you would go about stowing them easily in the rod tubes.  RAM just releases a wedge adapter for the recessed rod holders which would allow me duplicate the rod tube arrangement.

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/flushrodholderramwedgeadapter/tabid/4511/Default.aspx
Kenny

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Y'no, I'm on the fence with the rocket launchers.  I have to spend more time on the water with them to figure out how much I like or dislike those things.  I'm trying to rig my boat so I don't have to carry around a tackle box or crate.  I also like to take 4 rods with me anywhere on the freshwater.  That means 2 on the sides and 2 in the launchers, which makes me nervous they'll just fall out.  I've got floats on them, but my fear is they'll slip away when I'm not looking.  So I'm going to look at attaching some leash on them so I can relax in that gloriously comfortable chair.

Gonna try to take off early tomorrow from work so I can get home and do some rigging before I gotta ramp up on the holiday cheer.
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the insight.  When I first saw the wedge adapter and posted thee was discussion the rocket launchers would slip on the ball when a fish was on.  One person posted they slipped a PVC ring over the mount which solved that issue.  My next thought goes to - I want have them forward facing when fishing - reward facing when moving. But that means I would have to turn, loosen the ram mount, position and retighten. That's not going to happen (for me anyway).  Undecided.

Alright, back to the build up. I have a crab trap rack that I'm building for the Cuda 14.  Hopefully Ill get that finished and post on my thread.
Kenny

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I heard you have to rough the ball with sand paper and it fixes the holding issue post up some pics of your crab setup  :smt006

I love my crate I have one large and one regular depending on what I'm gonna be doing and it's the mount  for my downrigger,net and extra crap anchor rods what ever don't count it out  :smt003

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The thing about ram products slipping on the ball is a little off. Yes it's possible but not likley. If your trolling two rods for WSB or other large fish then maybe think about a different mount. For freshwater and rockfish they are fine. You can manuaver them to a natural position for you so when it time to boat your fish you can easily find the holder without looking and one handed. Grab fish, free spool, drop rod in holder, deal with fish. The ram mounts for flush mounts is IMHO pointless. You already have a holder there why spend more money to have a holder in the same spot? You can build an slip in extender and raise your reels out of the splash zone pretty simply.

What would I do with a Jackson Cuda 12?
 I would start with the split rod pod cover mod.
Remove go pro mount and replace with 1" ram ball
Mount a lowrance Mark 4 FF with matching ram mount to where the go pro was
Use a Hobie through deck fitting the run wires inside.
Use the other fitting that comes in the package to run the wires for the scupper mounted trans
Add a 1.5" ram ball to the upper half of the rod pod where I could reach it and move the front rod holder to that spot
Get the tray for the rod pod and put the battery in the front with a divider

I have had a lot of time at the shop looking at the Cuba 12 and thinking about this.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I have not seen an update on the seal for that but it sure looks sweet :smt007 I have hindged mine at the the front and that was a must for me its still a bit off but after another prototype i should have it down. :smt006

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have not seen an update on the seal for that but it sure looks sweet :smt007 I have hindged mine at the the front and that was a must for me its still a bit off but after another prototype i should have it down. :smt006

Will try to post updated photos of this mod tomorrow. We have done it on several kayaks so far using the new rubber hinge and it works sweet. The rubber makes a nice seal and has almost no leaks.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hey guys. Biobill came in this past week for some rigging on his Cuda 14. We installed some tracks that worked out really clean. He went ahead and installed two scotty 344 round flush mounts behind the seat to instead of the flush mounts or ram balls. Seems to be a nice versatile option, although I'm liking the Ram Tubes for how I use them. Bill mostly trolls, and fly fishes, so you will see we set it up with that in mind. He also added the Rod Pod hatch mod with rubber hinge I was talking about. He says its been water tight thus far. Anyways food for thought. Thanks for posting up your builds. It's great to learn from one another.

http://www.headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/2012/11/kayak-rigging-by-headwaters-kayak-shop.html
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Alright, finally got some time to post up some updates on a lazy night with what was supposed to be crappy weather.  I've been sitting in my boat in the evening visualizing and imaging how I will fish this boat in various settings and for various species.  I do believe I've freaked the living crap outta my neighbors after they saw me fly fishing from a boat on dry land - I just wave to them and keep casting.  I've decided that this boat is my bass, trout, delta and fly fishing boat.  The rigging and thoughts are along those lines and I'm trying to get to a place of simplicity, which the Jackson folks have obviously designed towards.

Pardon the crappy pictures and the craptastically messy garage.  My iPhone sucks and we're in the middle of the holiday box/crap shuffle getting all the holiday junk setup for holiday parties we're throwing this year.

First, the obligatory homage to Headwaters:

Cockpit "HUD" - Lowrance 4x DSI gps/ff combo, a RAM Aquabox 20 and the GoPro.  I haven't wired up the FF yet as I'm waiting for some hardware from a buddy.  The aquabox I'm not necessarily fond of because I like to be all solitary out on the water.  However, missing the genera's texts has proven problematic, whereas if I can communicate where I'm at and what I'm doing, even out on the water, she's super cool - shackles.  The GoPro I have for "trophy" shots, although honestly I'm not sold on that location unless some random chick is drivin the boat in a bikini.  I might post it up on a RAM mount GoPro C ball.

Here's the scotty extendo thing (has those blue and yellow friction things, which are hella awesome) on a 4" yakattack rail.  I went with the 4" because I don't want to have a whole ton of stuff.  At most I'll have one of these suckers on both sides while trolling for trouts and such.  While bass fishing I might not use them for anything.  On the other side of the boat I have a ram ball extension with the rod holder that came with the Cuda.

I put my paddle leash here, beneath the seat.  I need one of these because I'm one of those guys that will lose his paddle even with a little dink on the line - I get excited.

Blurry photo, sorry, but I'm too lazy for perfection at this point. I found an awesome place for my camera, that is outta the way and easy to get to in a pinch, even leaving the fugly float on the thing.

I put the nets in - something that should really come already placed on the Cudas, in my opinion. 

Rod leashes,...I hate them, but I lose crap.  This is with my daughters rod, which she graciously lent me to test junk out.  I have floats on all my rods, but with the rocket launchers I'm freaked that they'll somehow slip away, even though I doubt they will.  I dunno.

Put the silent traction stuff down where the chair hits the boat, because it does create quite a racket.  I didn't go nuts with the stuff all over like I've seen in some other posts, but I liked the idea and actually does make a noticeable difference.  Not so sure it really helps catch more fish,...but y'no,...it's that confidence thing.

In the back I slapped down a mighty mount and have the yakattack whatchamacallit camera stick thing with the extension.  When I don't have my GoPro up there I can just fly a flag.  Was thinking of changing out the jackson flag for a 49er flag, until pitchers n catchers report, at which point it will be A's.

I opted for the rod pod insert, which is badass and again should be a standard deal on Cudas in my opinion.  I'm not so sold on the that popular mod making a hinge on the cover.  To me it seems to be too small of an access point and I like storing a few extra planos, leaders, my dry box with wallet/keys, extra junk for fishing that would usually go in my crate.  Yup, no crate on this boat!  That's how friggin' badass this thing is!  Btw, there's a pouch on the back of the chair that you can stick even more junk in,...I put sunscreen and crap like that back there.

Another crappy picture, I suck, I know,...but this is where the batteries gonna go.  I went ahead and got one of those built battery boxes online because I'm lazy sometimes, whatever.   :smt044  I'll balance the boat out with some emergency supplies on the other side of the boat (down in there) if needed, as the box is a few pounds).  I'll be running the wires inside the hull and setting up the scupper transducer rig.

And that's it for now folks!  I'm having a blast with this boat and wanted to get out this weekend - but obviously that's not happening, what with the anticipated rainpocalypse and all. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:19:45 PM by Fishgr »
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

ohhhgeee

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
very nice! Was Jackson's placement of the RAM rod holder too far away for you? I think your pictures gave me some good ideas of where I may move mine to. Thanks for sharing with us.
Native Manta Ray Propel

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yea man,....i can stretch,...but not that far.  Getting too old for that crap!
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

ohhhgeee

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Yea man,....i can stretch,...but not that far.  Getting too old for that crap!
:smt044, I'm glad I'm not the only one...
Native Manta Ray Propel

anything