Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Help I.D. this trout  (Read 5213 times)

bluefin17

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
I know I might be bias working with salmon, but the first picture posted by FisHunter looks disgusting, I don't know if I'd even want to touch it and I have worked with commercial fisheries before.  Those other two footballs (triploids) just don't look right.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
So I guess if you have your own pond your could stock it with these super trout and almost assure your self a Record fish? Something wrong with that.
Brian are these crossbreeds sterile or can they cross with native, holdover trout or themselves?
Funny that we complain about invasive species but we create our own.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
In theory these triploids can't reproduce because they are "all sterile".  However, there have been a few studies indicating that triploids are "leaky" and triploid grass carp and triploid oysters have been collected in the wild that are fertile. 

They're are other potential dangers, but I'd hate to start any more "the end of the world is nye" threads.
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Z, I sure hope they put somemore in there b4 the MFF! I have had only two trout trolled-up and they were both from that res.,I have put in many of mile for nada everywhere else?  That one hit the Mooch-rap on my "Maiden Yak-Voyage" back in Jan.
I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open for the BIG Mt.LASSEN FREAK-TROUT plants.  :smt002

And Brian?  you're scaring me with the "leaky" facts.  :smt009
and not to be a mean person durring the Holidaze,but I think that dude with the Big Thunder trout might has gotten "Leaked" on at some point,straight from the old movie"The Hills Have Eyes".
Sorry if I offended any one  :smt011...Its a classic!   :smt001

I know I might be bias working with salmon, but the first picture posted by FisHunter looks disgusting, I don't know if I'd even want to touch it and I have worked with commercial fisheries before. Those other two footballs (triploids) just don't look right.
Bluefin 17, It hit like a freight-train and when I first saw it,I thought it was a salmon of some kind?the jaws were hooked like it was in the rivers...then I saw the fins grounded down. I released it, so someone else could get "leaked on" too! 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:59:57 AM by FisHunter »
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2005
So I guess if you have your own pond your could stock it with these super trout and almost assure your self a Record fish? Something wrong with that.
Brian are these crossbreeds sterile or can they cross with native, holdover trout or themselves?
Funny that we complain about invasive species but we create our own.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/060208troutstory.html

And that's exactly what happened just last year!

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
The reason the socal giant triploid is a ragedy is because it was probably caught within a month of stocking.  It was grown to that huge size at the hatchery.

The triploids that Polepole showed were probably stocked as fingerlings and grew in the lake and thus they look ok.

I have not read the reports of leaky triploids, but I know that triploids have been found in nature as a natural event.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

bsteves

I did some more research on the triploid thing... the triploids themselves are pretty much sterile, but a small number of them can reproduce, but when they do they produce aneuploid (wrong number of chromosomes) zygotes which shouldn't survive.

The following is from a paper on feral triploid grass carp..
 Schultz SLW, Steinkoenig EL, Brown BL
Ploidy of feral grass carp in the Chesapeake Bay watershed
NORTH AMERICAN JOURNAL OF FISHERIES MANAGEMENT 21 (1): 96-101 FEB 2001

it does not appear likely that either triploid × triploid or triploid × diploid grass carp crosses can produce viable offspring. Most of the possible gamete combinations yield aneuploid zygotes. The only exceptions are 2n (the most prevalent cell we observed in triploid ovaries) or 6n oocytes combined with 1.5n sperm (although no cells of this ploidy were detected in the triploid male we examined). Following such a fertilization event, a 2n oocyte would contribute 0.5n after completing meiosis I and II, theoretically yielding a 2n zygote; also, a 6n oocyte would contribute 1.5n to theoretically yield a 3n zygote. However, because ploidy was estimated from DNA content, the sperm and oocytes derived from the triploids evaluated in this study cannot be assumed to have a complete genome complement because of random assortment of the third chromosome set. We hypothesize that it is unlikely that any zygote thus produced from triploid breeding would be viable.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that they found feral diploid grass carp which are viable.  In theory this isn't possible becuase only triploid grass carp were supposedly released.

In the case of trout this isn't too bad, so a few normal rainbow trout get released.  We already have trout here (although most of those are non-native).  But if this was a potentially destructive invasive species that we introduce for sport and we think we're controlling the population with the triploid sterility we might have to worry.
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Man! I was hoping it was just a CutBow! didn't plan on trolling-up controversy  :smt012   Thanks for all the time you put in this!  see Brian,your new post and knowledge is much needed.
Adam
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
It was always my understanding that some eggs at the hatchery are heated to 80 degrees for 10 minutes. This process kills half of the eggs but turns the other half sterile, hence Triploids. Because they don't expend their body energy reproducing they grow at a pretty phenominal rate.
Someone correct me if I am wrong please.
<=>

bsteves

That sounds about right Tote.  The heating process prevents the third set of chromosomes from leaving the fertilized egg.  Note that unlike in humans eggs which are haploid (one set of chromosomes), trout eggs are diploid (two sets of chromosomes) and the trout sperm is haploid (like humans).  When the egg and sperm combine during fertilization, one set of the female chromosomes is "kicked out" creating a diploid fish embryo.  The heating (and sometimes pressure) affects the egg at this stage and prevents the third set from being kicked out. 
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
That sounds about right Tote.  The heating process prevents the third set of chromosomes from leaving the fertilized egg.  Note that unlike in humans eggs which are haploid (one set of chromosomes), trout eggs are diploid (two sets of chromosomes) and the trout sperm is haploid (like humans).  When the egg and sperm combine during fertilization, one set of the female chromosomes is "kicked out" creating a diploid fish embryo.  The heating (and sometimes pressure) affects the egg at this stage and prevents the third set from being kicked out. 

Cool.  I had never seen the reason why heat was used to make the triploid trout.

Thanks.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'd guess its either a Thunder or Lightning trout. Both are grown from Mt Lassen farms.
Cutbows are a cross of cutthroat and steelhead. Made famous around these parts by the Amador hatchery. Reason why I don't think its a cutbow is because all of the cutbows from Amador have perfect (or as near perfect as raceway trout get) fins...especially their tails. The huge trout FH caught appears to have a messed-up tail.

Regardless of what it is...its definitely worth braggin about bro! I'd love to catch a fatty trout like that!

Congrats!
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
They're are other potential dangers, but I'd hate to start any more "the end of the world is nye" threads.

Hey! I resemble that remark !!

That's the good news.  The bad news is that they found feral diploid grass carp which are viable.  In theory this isn't possible becuase only triploid grass carp were supposedly released.

I used to use this following quote from Yogi Berra as an email signature:  "In theory, reality and theory are are the same. In reality, they aren't." 

If I recall correctly, carp are pretty fecund. Are scientists projecting a grass carp population explosion in those waterways were they were introduced? Or is the ratio of viable to non-viable fish so low that this is unlikely?

Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 11:43:04 AM by ScottThornley »

bsteves

Grass carp are pretty abundant already.  For a long time, the fertile diploid type was introduced for weed control in many watersheds.  Because of concerns regarding these fertile grass carp, many states limited subsequent introduction to the sterile triploid variety.

Lot's of good info on grass carp introductions can be found here http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=514
Evidently only Alaska, Maine, Montana, Rhode Island, and Vermont don't have grass carp.

Other invasive carp in the news...silver carp and bighead carp are known for flying out of the water in the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.  Evidently they've even caused some injuries for boaters.

Here's a news report from 2002
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/26/eveningnews/main523372.shtml

Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

anything